RobertTheBruce

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Movin' on.

Will the Kings "rebound"? There aren't many rungs left on the ladder. One to be exact. Who will coach? Maybe the little guy from "The Love Guru". Will the all-out youth movement show signs of immediate payoff or result in another cementing the team in the untouchables caste?

Will the Ducks overcome the legal issues surrounding Henry Samueli, the on-air drunkeness of his party-girl wife, the possible departure of Niedermayer and Selanne (again) and the fact thay they really are the devil incarnate?

Will Toronto continue to be the most disappointing big market/marquee team in any team sport in North America? Cuz that's what they are now. Worse than the Blackhawks, Bruins, Dodgers, Knicks, all of 'em.

Can Detroit pull a repeat? They were the last team to do it and that was 10 years ago.

Will Pittsburgh be able to hold onto enough of their young free agents and one or two vets to be able to lock down a claim as the elite team of the East?

Will Ray Emery drop his Puff Daddy act long enough to play 'serious hockey'. Speaking of old worn out slogans, would Emery be a good candidate to play serious hockey in LA? Is Bernier possibly ready to go full-time with the big boys? Nobody thought Marc-Andre Fleury was ready in Pittsburgh this year and look what he did. How about Andrew Raycroft? The hole in the LA net has been waiting since the short-lived reign of Felix Potvin to be plugged.

Did someone say Reign. The Ontario Reign, ECHL affiliate of the Kings begin play at Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario in 3 months. Anyone gonna check it out? Will having a close by affiliate aid the Kings in scouting and evaluation?

102 days til the puck drops i Stockholm, home of my favorite Swedish musician, Lars Winnerbäck. LARS should have a chant to a Lars tune.

#2 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

Then i'll say it in here RtB
Barry Melrose in as the new head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightening. Can't say I saw that coming
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#3 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Will Doughty make the team?

Will Boyle make the team? As a forward or defenseman?

Will they re-sign Blake?
Does Blake have them by the balls?

I'm excited at the prospects, but again I fear it will be another year of "let the young guys develop, we have a good core".

My optimism says they will fight for a #7/#8 seed and shock the world.

Anyone else goin to Frozen Fury this year?

#4 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:43 AM

Then i'll say it in here RtB
Barry Melrose in as the new head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightening. Can't say I saw that coming

I did. NHL Home Ice on XM. It's the main reason I have XM. I hope the merger doesn't fuck that up somehow.

#5 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:58 AM

Anyone else goin to Frozen Fury this year?

I haven't been in 3 years. I'm thinking it would be a good time to drop off the new midget with grandma for a day while I have a "few" beers. I'll let you know. We should see if we can round up a squad.

Doughty, we'll see. My guy with the Kings says it sounds like 6 from Manchester will get permanent call ups.

Boyle, Harrold, Purcell and Gauthier (I think) were some of the names he tossed out.

I gotta ask him about Ersberg. What's his deal?

#6 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- The NHL indefinitely suspended Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli on Tuesday following the billionaire philanthropist's guilty plea to a felony count of lying to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Commissioner Gary Bettman said the NHL will review Samueli's status after he is sentenced on Aug. 18 and determine the length of his suspension.

Samueli, the co-founder of the chipmaker Broadcom Corp., entered the guilty plea in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana on Monday after a federal probe into illegal stock option backdating at Broadcom. Federal prosecutors have recommended a sentence of five years' probation and a $12.2 million fine.

During his suspension, Samueli can't be involved in Ducks matters or activities. Chief executive officer Michael Schulman will be responsible for the club's day-to-day operations.

"I respect the decision made by Commissioner Bettman and will abide by the terms of the suspension," Samueli said in a statement released by the Ducks. "I'm confident the team will be in great hands in my absence."

Samueli's wife, Susan, said she would also relinquish her role as co-owner to "avoid any improper appearance."

"Although we will not be involved in decision-making, we will be cheering on our Ducks as loudly as ever," she said in the statement.

Schulman said the team supported Samueli, 53, and expected to compete for another Stanley Cup championship this season. The Ducks became the first California-based club to win the Stanley Cup in 2007 and have qualified for the playoffs in three consecutive seasons.

Broadcom's other co-founder, Henry T. Nicholas III, is awaiting trial on multiple counts of conspiracy, securities fraud and other charges related to the alleged backdating scheme.

The company agreed in April to pay $12 million to the Securities and Exchange Commission to settle allegations of stock option backdating without admitting any wrongdoing.

#7 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:13 AM

Lubomir Visnovsky to Edmonton. Say it ain't so Lubo.

I wish we could find a coach already. I'd take Tortorella or at this point Emilio Estevez...

And I'll be going to alot of the Ontario games as its somewhat a closer drive than to Staples plus I enjoy the minor league atmosphere

#8 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

I wish we could find a coach already. I'd take Tortorella or at this point Emilio Estevez...

And I'll be going to alot of the Ontario games as its somewhat a closer drive than to Staples plus I enjoy the minor league atmosphere

when I was at ucsd I went to about 3 or 4 gulls games a month. great times and great atmospheres.
Ontario is a bit of a drive for me, but I'm sure I'll check out a game here or there.

wow. Visnovsky to edmonton for stoll and GREENE!!!!

#9 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Interesting moves for the Kings so far this season. They're shedding the smallish finesse players and are forming a team reminiscent of the '01 Kings.

#10 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Sorry to see Lubo go but what the hell. Stoll's solid and Greene's probably gonna help shore things up.

But it doesn't matter. 79 points and outta the playoffs by March 1. Again.

#11 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

let the free agent frenzy begin...

Brad Stuart signs with Detroit - 4 years @ $3.75 million/each (not coming back to LA)

Cory Perry signs with Anaheim - 5 years, $26.625 million

Edmonton trades Pitkanen to carolina for erik cole.

Edmonton trades Raffi Torres to columbus for Gilbert Brule.

we're off

#12 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

Kings made a deal! Serious Hockey!

Denis Gauthier, a defenseman who had been put on waivers by Philadelphia, was traded to the Kings, along with a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, for defenseman Patrik Hersley and forward Ned Lukacevic.
Gauthier has one year remaining on his contract, with a salary-cap hit of $2.1 million. Gauthier will turn 32 in October and is listed at 6-foot-3, 224 pounds. He spent all of last season in the AHL and totaled three goals and 15 assists in 78 games. The Flyers placed him on waivers last season and, after he cleared, they sent him down to the AHL to clear salary-cap space.

Kings fans might remember Gauthier from his incident with Jeremy Roenick and Sean Avery in 2005. Gauthier's hit, in a preseason game, gave Roenick a concussion. Avery responded by saying, ``I think it was a clean hit. I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

And best quote I've seen so far today on the Greene and Gauthier additions:

"Well a lot of forwards may go by the Kings' defense, but they're going to get a concussion for doing so."

Other news:

Chicago signed goaltender Cristobal Huet, four years, $5.625 million per season.

Florida signed forward Cory Stillman to a three-year contract worth $10.6 million.

The Rangers signed forward Aaron Voros, terms unknown.

Pittsburgh signed forward Eric Godard, terms unknown.

Phoenix signed forward Todd Fedoruk to a three-year contract, money unknown.

Montreal signed forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a three-year contract at $3.25 million per season.

Colorado signs Andrew Raycroft to a one-year contract, money unknown

Washington has signed goalie Jose Theodore to a two-year contract, at $4.5 million per season.

Phoenix has signed defenseman Kurt Sauer to a four-year contract worth $1.75 million per season

#13 anarchie75

anarchie75

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US Nats

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

I'm pretty pissed about the trading of Cammy and Lubo as I feel they are core players. Cammy is still young and could be a franchise player very soon. Couldn't Kings have gotten Eric Cole, another young star entering his prime, for Lubo instead of the Oilers? Now that would be a worthwhile acquisition.

I'll be going to the Ontario games if still living in the IE this Fall. All the good prospects will be playing in Ontario and the Kings will still be a non playoff team next season. If living in LA I'll catch a few games at Staples Center but not thrilled with the Kings outlook for 2009.

#14 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

Excuse me, Gordon Bombay was a great coach.

Secondly, i heard some rumors of Jagr going back to the Pens. Any truth to this?
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#15 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

I'm pretty pissed about the trading of Cammy and Lubo as I feel they are core players. Cammy is still young and could be a franchise player very soon. Couldn't Kings have gotten Eric Cole, another young star entering his prime, for Lubo instead of the Oilers? Now that would be a worthwhile acquisition.

The problem with this is simple. Did Carolina WANT Lubo?

Probably not. The only thing they want from the Kings is Jack Johnson back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users