91 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

They should dump Kaku.  The team had a significantly better record when he didn't play or didn't start.  That is not what you want from your highest paid player. Plus, Clark will likely be better than him by next year. 

This piqued my interest so I ran the PPG with Kaku and you're not only right but its pretty significant.

Kaku starts - 1.58 PPG

Kaku subs on - 1.66 PPG

Kaku doesn't play - 1.89 PPG

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

This piqued my interest so I ran the PPG with Kaku and you're not only right but its pretty significant.

Kaku starts - 1.58 PPG

Kaku subs on - 1.66 PPG

From this season only? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I agree that the team played poorly.
I just do not agree or believe that Armas would have fielded a better lineup or motivated those on the field to play better.

We need to get a coach who will. Struber didn't, and it was just as frustrating as with Armas' play off fiasco last year. Hopefully Struber will not continue to be as pathetic as was his first impression in the most important game of the season.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Clark's got some quality goals, nice to see, but has anyone seen him making the kind of passes that show the kind of vision that makes great, game controlling #10?  I haven't seen him as this dominant technical young player in the way that Adams was (different positions, I know).    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

How Struber did as a coach with only 3 practices is meaningless. The value of him coaching yesterday was to see what meager gruel we have on our plate. We will only get better team if there are serious talent additions. Best he got his nose rubbed into the fresh cow pies so he is incentivized to convince Austria to open up the wallet. When your broadcasters term Duncan your MVP because he was "steady" during the season you are in trouble. Kaku has not been a true difference maker for a while. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Clark's got some quality goals, nice to see, but has anyone seen him making the kind of passes that show the kind of vision that makes great, game controlling #10?  I haven't seen him as this dominant technical young player in the way that Adams was (different positions, I know).    

Nope, plus hes only here for another 0.5-1 season. Going to need to plan to not have him, and not just write him in pen in the starting XI.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

From this season only? 

That's since the start of 2018.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Exactly how I feel. Clark has good instincts on the ball, he plays one touch when he can and regularly looks for a forward pass. But he has not shown the ability to be a full-time playmaker yet.

Adams is an apt comparison in the sense that he had to earn his way into the starting lineup wherever he could. It was at RB at first, then slowly taking over at holding midfield. I'm perfectly fine dropping money on a proven #10 and making Clark earn his spot wherever he can until he proves to be the best #10 on the roster.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Great players dont fit every system...

To paraphrase a well known American coach: Systems are bullshit. Players win game.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

How Struber did as a coach with only 3 practices is meaningless. The value of him coaching yesterday was to see what meager gruel we have on our plate. We will only get better team if there are serious talent additions. ... 

For starters I would have liked to use talent we already have. Paraguay national team just did and benefitted from it greatly. Kaku and CCJ had to play more than they did, at least at halftime, when we barely got to the break without conceding more goals, with Davis/Yearwood getting beat practically at will. Brian White scored in 4 out of last 5 games, and had an assist in that span. Barlow did get a goal against Torono, but before that scored in Sept in one game two months ago, and has no assists this year. I know I was White's big critic, but he was hot last 5 games and had to start over Barlow probably in the minds of everyone, except Struber.

So, yeah, I do want more talent (more line Sims who was also benched by Armas, and less like Pendant and Tetteh), but coach needs to also use the talent we already have in the most important game of the season. If he did, we may be talking about Toronto right now instead of whether the fact Struber clearly was off to pathetic and atrocious start is meaningless or not.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Kaku starts - 1.58 PPG

Kaku subs on - 1.66 PPG

I do see that Kaku's ppg is low. Looked at some other to spot check: Duncan, Barlow, White are about the same, in spite of Duncan being voted a near unanimous MVP and Barlow not belonging in MLS. Looks like Kaku had 2.03 in 2018: https://www.transfer.../spieler/355817

Don't know what this all means, but I doubt Barlow would be getting a call up to Paraguayan NT if he were eligible.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I do see that Kaku's ppg is low. Looked at some other to spot check: Duncan, Barlow, White are about the same, in spite of Duncan being voted a near unanimous MVP and Barlow not belonging in MLS. Looks like Kaku had 2.03 in 2018: https://www.transfer.../spieler/355817

Don't know what this all means, but I doubt Barlow would be getting a call up to Paraguayan NT if he were eligible.

Yeah as much as I'm a "stats" guy, this one strikes me as one where there's more to the story. I'm just surprised the difference is as stark as it is in 2020 because I thought he passed the eye test this year and looked good.

So while I don't think it tells us that Kaku is a bad player, maybe it does hint that he's not quite at the level to carry a team on his back like we've seen with other star players in recent league history like Valeri, Lodeiro, Giovinco, etc...

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yeah as much as I'm a "stats" guy, this one strikes me as one where there's more to the story. I'm just surprised the difference is as stark as it is in 2020 because I thought he passed the eye test this year and looked good.

So while I don't think it tells us that Kaku is a bad player, maybe it does hint that he's not quite at the level to carry a team on his back like we've seen with other star players in recent league history like Valeri, Lodeiro, Giovinco, etc...

imo he very much failed the eye test and the team always looked more fluid and like a team with him off the field. Kaku is not a player who takes over a game he also has a tendency to drift and drop out of position which is problematic when counter pressing

Metrosct

Metrosct

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Kayden Clark played extremely well, so I would not call him a genius for starting him. 

Not sure whether this is referring to Clark's play in general or yesterday's game.  But, other than the goal, he was largely invisible out there.  He didn't really impact the game and deserved to be subbed out sooner.

With that being said, I'm excited to see what he can do in 2021 with a full preseason under Struber.  

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Would have gotten stomped out with Armas.. At least they just needed one goal at the end but there aren't any goal scorers on this roster..

This season was a disaster.. Credit the guys playing above their talent vs Cbus.. Nagbe showed up at the right time and Porter always coaches up...

The future looks good cuz no way is it possible to have a worse season than this.. Thelwell looks like he'll make moves and sure better talent can do more than this.. There was no creative build up and no goal scoring threats all year long

Well, Armas led us to pretty similar result last year to play-off first round loss by one goal with I think the same exact seeding, so I don't know who would have done better, looks very similar to me. If anything Armas made it to OT before losing in full stadium cheering for Philly. As far as not having goal scorers, actually we had a guy who scored 4 goals in 5 previous games. And guess what, he scored as well as sub in this game, just didn't get enough minutes because our brilliant tactician coach went with ... Barlow. Kaku, though not a goal scorer, just had a goal too for a Paraguayan NT, which is way better than Metro.

As far as playing above their talent level, I would have to disagree. Duncan, Yearwood, Davis all played poorly. You know who played above his talent level in Kaku's absence? Stroud. Yet like Armas preferring Valot to Sims, Struber preferred Valot to Kaku (and Stroud too). Also, was it lack of talent that whenever we came out to start game or half, we look inept and concede great chances almost immediately each time? Was it really a hard decision to get Davis/Yearwood out of there at the half (with Kaku and CCJ on the bench after great showings for their NTs) after Valarayan and others beat them basically at will all first half and we were lucky not to concede more? When he finally got best talent we had in, we scored to make it 3:2 and almost tied. 

Struber cost us this season, like Armas did last year with his Buckmuster stunt in play-offs. Guess a lot of people were resigned to losing, but I thought this year in play-offs without fans anyone has a shot. Orlando-NYC went to PKs earlier. Who knows who will win this thing. Can't really complain about not having talent when three best players at their positions (Kaku, CCJ, White) didn't play for most of the game due to coach's decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users