2016 (so far): Worst Great Season or Best Bad Season?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Worst Great Season or Best Bad Season? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Has 2016 (so far) been the worst great season ever or the best bad season in history?

1. Worst Great Season (29 votes [80.56%])

Percentage of vote: 80.56%

2. Best Bad Season (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ssalgnogniwehc

ssalgnogniwehc

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

On the one hand 2016 has already featured the 7-0 win in the Bronx, a somewhat successful run in the CCL (over 3 games, but still) and the team sitting in contention for 1st in the East while BWP leads the league in goals and Kljestian leads the league in assists, which hasn't happened in MLS since the Miami Fusion / Tampa Bay Mutiny days despite the club's various injuries/difficulties.

On the other suffering 6 losses in first 7 games, the 5 blown 2-goal leads (including twice to DC), and the first ever loss to Boy City are all frustrating aspects of a 2016 in which the captain went down injured, as well as the longest tenured homegrown player (during a season in which Lade was blossoming) and the depth in central defense has been decimated in a season that has somehow seen Red Bull stay in contention.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we have legit shot at advancing to CCL knock outstage, so it's not a bad season. 

at most it's a what could've been type of season with the 4 draws against non-playoff teams in the east (DC twice, Chicago and CBus once). 

adios 3rd Supporters Shield in 4 yrs. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

We legit haven't lost in forever. We could be far and the way the best team if we could hold leads. If we figure that out, we win MLS Cup. So, good season.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

We legit haven't lost in forever. We could be far and the way the best team if we could hold leads. If we figure that out, we win MLS Cup. So, good season.

But this team has not figured out how to close games when up 2 goals lead. We are all just lining ourselves up for another disappointing playoff run. Expectations cannot be more high as we are undefeated during some of the blown leads games. But this being Metro, expect to be heart-broken, once again, come the playoffs. And that is all some of the legacy folks are harping about. We just want to see our Team win after 20 Years of heart-ache!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

But this team has not figured out how to close games when up 2 goals lead. We are all just lining ourselves up for another disappointing playoff run. Expectations cannot be more high as we are undefeated during some of the blown leads games. But this being Metro, expect to be heart-broken, once again, come the playoffs. And that is all some of the legacy folks are harping about. We just want to see our Team win after 20 Years of heart-ache!

I know, there's a lot to be concerned about. But we still don't lose games. As long as we draw on the road (which we always were losing on the road) and keep winning mostly at home, it'll be fine. There's a month left to figure it out. We'll see what happens.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea
Honestly, if history has taught us anything, it's that teams that put it together late often win MLS cup since other teams can adjust, while consistently good teams usually go home early, because teams have ample time to and often do adjust.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

This is my tenth year following the team, and definitely one of the better seasons.

I was thinking during the Toronto game, as pissed as I was about Petke, this team when its on is far and away the most technical passing and movement team in the league, the whole squad buys in, and they just dominate when they are clicking on all cylinders.  If this is how they're going to play, than it was worth it.

If and only if they can figure out how to stop leaking these goals.  My own estimation is that they should just continue what they are having success with rather than throwing defenders out and huddling up, but we will see if that bears any fruit.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Its a good season, just a bit disappointing. We have seen how truly good this team is when firing on all cylinders. I wholeheartedly feel that they are unbeatable when they are at their best. That being said they cannot close out games for the life of them. They have taken it to almost every single team they played this year for at least 70 minutes after that they are average.  I'm not sure if its mental, it could be physical, it could just be finding the right sub to make when we go up by two but when they figure it out I can only see success. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Well, being able to get road draws is usually good in the playoffs.

NickyG

NickyG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Supports:1996 NEW YORK

can someone calculate what our points would be if we had won all the games we let slip? 

“You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favorite football team.” – Eric Cantona

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

4 draws.

8 pts lost to DC twice, Chicago and Columbus once. all three aren't playoff material. that should answer the question.

we'd be #1 in the Shield race.

if you want, you can include the away draw at Orlando earlier this yr. so 5 draws, 10 pts lost to teams beneath us. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

the home draw to portland, the away draws to philly, LA and TFC i am not including, they're all teams closer to us in the table. 

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

A blown lead also knocked us out of the USOC, even though it was only a one goal lead.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Win the MLS cup and nobody will give a shit how many games we gave away points in.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Win the MLS cup and nobody will give a shit how many games we gave away points in.

But just imagine the anxiety level if we are winning the MLS Cup final 2-0 in the first half.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users