jamesey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

FC Dallas has some good video analysis on their site

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#3032 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:53 AM

FC Dallas has some good video analysis on their site

Not bad at all. I think he emphasized the way Dallas will see success, but it really boils down to the midfield play. I think Beckerman and company will play at a different level in this game. I expect the Dallas midfield to find it hard to get the ball enough to do much of anything. I also think you'll see RSL provide extra players in wide positions, overloading the ball side. It will be interesting to see if the Hoopla have enough to get the ball switched. Ferreira has to see the ball in advanced positions with time and space to operate. If the RSL midfield gains the upper hand and they get the ball moving, it could be a long night for Dallas.
:pint:

#3033 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

So, with Qwest having been designed to host large soccer matches, and Buck Shaw redesigned to host college soccer matches... can we claim the first MLS Playoffs with every team in a stadium designed with soccer in mind?

#3034 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

So, with Qwest having been designed to host large soccer matches, and Buck Shaw redesigned to host college soccer matches... can we claim the first MLS Playoffs with every team in a stadium designed with soccer in mind?

I believe you are one of the pre-eminent experts on these boards on the subject of MLS Stadiums.

Is it really the first?

Wow, that's pathetic. Especially when you consider that although Qwest field may have been designed/remodelled/whatever to be able to host soccer games, they still don't have real grass.

#3035 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

I believe you are one of the pre-eminent experts on these boards on the subject of MLS Stadiums.

Is it really the first?

Wow, that's pathetic. Especially when you consider that although Qwest field may have been designed/remodelled/whatever to be able to host soccer games, they still don't have real grass.

Ergo they don't play real soccer...ergo the stadium isn't designed for soccer, even if it once was. Ergo.... :cheers:

#3036 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

I guess you could say that this is the first MLS playoffs in which all stadiums were designed for soccer, but I don't want to let Dave O'Brien down who once said that soccer fans are a bunch of malcontents who will never be satisfied (or something like that).

No grass = not having a proper field, even if you can fit the maximum size regulation pitch on it.

Fake Edit: I'm splitting hairs, but I'm really super bored at work.

#3037 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Yes, this is the first time. New England's streak of playoffs was preventing the feat. There have been playoffs in which all stadiums had grass though, so that's not special. The fact is Seattle will not build a SSS because they have a stadium that fit a regulation field, and have great attendance. I do agree that a grass field would be great.

But for now I'm content saying we're on par with the Ligue 1

#3038 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

Zero Cool looks like Andy Iro of Columbus. Iro Cool.

Columbus is being outplayed by Colorado.

#3039 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

Nothing sets up a cycle of failure for a team like rotating managers before a system can be put into place. Granted that isn't exactly the case in the mls but hopefully this is the beginning of a very painful death walk for this pathetic excuse of an organization.

Makes me wonder if the next manager will have a "Hispanic sounding last name". Maybe they'll just Go after Hugo Sanchez :lol:

Word on the street is that 'The Smirk' might be returning to the HDC.

Posted Image
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#3040 Ed The Zombie

Ed The Zombie

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Supports:G's, Club America, WFC, USA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Cool playoff bracket from MLS
Fuimos. Bebimos. Chingamos.

#3041 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Cool playoff bracket from MLS

VERY cool bracket...printed out some copies already!! Thanks, Ed ;)

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#3042 Ed The Zombie

Ed The Zombie

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Supports:G's, Club America, WFC, USA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Klinsi to consult TFC?

I would hope that *knock on wood* we dont win the cup, that Bruce is let go and we hire Klinsi as our manager
Fuimos. Bebimos. Chingamos.

#3043 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

Here's a bigsoccer-esque idea...bear with me...it is the fruit of insulting a European soccer fan.

Talking to a European Eurosnob about how the MLS calendar is fucked up because "it plays when no other league plays", I was able to make the person look like a fool by implying that the person was dumber than Americans because even we know that Scandinavian countries not only exist but that they play in a similar calendar to MLS' and they do it for the same reason. Playing in or watching a match in Helsinki in January would be about as fun as a match in Chicago in January.

Anyway...some synapses fired and it occurred to me that the USA could actually run two leagues...a winter schedule league and a summer schedule league. Maybe an MLS Northern Conference (Chicago, TFC, Vancouver, Columbus, New England, New York, Seattle & Portland) and an MLS Southern Conference (with the rest).

I haven't really thought it through much...has this concept been raised before?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#3044 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Here's a bigsoccer-esque idea...bear with me...it is the fruit of insulting a European soccer fan.

Talking to a European Eurosnob about how the MLS calendar is fucked up because "it plays when no other league plays", I was able to make the person look like a fool by implying that the person was dumber than Americans because even we know that Scandinavian countries not only exist but that they play in a similar calendar to MLS' and they do it for the same reason. Playing in or watching a match in Helsinki in January would be about as fun as a match in Chicago in January.

Anyway...some synapses fired and it occurred to me that the USA could actually run two leagues...a winter schedule league and a summer schedule league. Maybe an MLS Northern Conference (Chicago, TFC, Vancouver, Columbus, New England, New York, Seattle & Portland) and an MLS Southern Conference (with the rest).

I haven't really thought it through much...has this concept been raised before?

No

#3045 FuzzBall

FuzzBall

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Football, Fútbol, Fußball, De voetbal, Futebol, フットボール
  • Supports:LA G's, Chelsea F.C.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

salt lake vs dallas 2pm on FSC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic