51 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I wouldn't say that.   There will be a Sean Davis / Dax McCarty type guy who comes up through the academy, isn't focused on getting a Duke/Georgetown education, but isn't on the level that he'd get international opportunities.

Basically a dumber version of Sean Davis or Alex Muyl.  Our academy products are too academic.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Not going to happen.

Right now the only guy with that chance is Ben Mines.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You got Laid!!!  This little boy guy came out on the field and he had the best ability to take the ball out of attacker feet.  Then the acl injury and he was never the same since.  Will always remember this player for his effort and hustle on the field no matter what.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

great write up and always remember Lade at Center Back against Kei Kamara in USOC in 2017

https://www.prosocce...d-bulls-player/

The Morristown, New Jersey native ably accomplished that, making 153 appearances over the course of eight seasons, becoming the club’s all-time leader in homegrown minutes. He was part of three Supporters’ Shield-winning sides, had five goals and nine assists.

But looking back now that Lade has announced his retirement from soccer, it’s clear his influence was felt more on the training ground and locker room than with match day statistics. 

We use the phrase ‘all in,’ which are not just words to us here, and it’s not to him,” Red Bulls coach Chris Armas said. “Because that means that you show up and give everything, every day, when things are good, when things are bad, when you get your number called, when we need more from you in training just with the second team, when he gets injured. The kid just lives and walks with optimism and energy, you can feel that.”

Lade felt chills when watching the first team, hoping one day to join them. And the feeling was intensified when he walked out of the tunnel for an MLS match.

“I hope that you guys know I never took that for granted,” Lade told reporters. “I loved every minute of it. And I’ll enjoy the view again from the stands and I’ll be rooting this club on every step of the way.”

Lade, 29, had perspective few athletes have. He knew when it was his time to go. He understood the growing competition at outside back, the dwindling minutes. He knew how the wear and tear of a professional soccer player could take a toll later in life.

“I want to be able to run around with my daughter,” he said, choking back tears. “I want to be able to live a life where I can be there, be comfortable and not hobbled by injuries.”

Lade maximized his potential and, according to Armas, his effort — few get to say that.

“If you’re looking at a Red Bull player, and someone suited to the system, how we play, how things are done around the training ground around the arena, it’s Connor Lade,” Bradley Wright-Phillips said “It’s going to be sad to see him go.”

Red Bulls sporting director Denis Hamlett remembers a U.S. Open Cup match in 2017 when Lade, playing center back, took on a much taller Kei Kamara.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Is he planning to transition into a coaching career?
Did he graduate from St. Johns?
Any idea what he majored in?
A high school Phys Ed teacher gig plus
coaching the soccer team would be nice.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Taxi4Taxi

Taxi4Taxi

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Supports:Metro, US, Arsenal

Lade was a 4 year player at St. Johns, so I'd guess he graduated (with a degree in Sports Management). I know the team said something about there always being a spot for him when he wants to come back. I hope he comes back as a II/academy coach or minor front office role. Great guy.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Lade mentioned he has opportunities to stay with the club. Mentioned he didn't want to do much travel, so my guess is lower age group head coach.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users