310 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Unfortunately thing with Muyl is that he is kind of a RBNY version of Danny Welbeck in the sense that his technique and dribbling ability isn't really good enough for the wing, but his composure in front of goal isn't good enough to be an everyday striker.  With that being said he does a lot of things at an adequate level, and his defensive work rate is elite.  It led to our away goal Thursday.  He is a guy that I hope is on the team for a while, but an attacking version of Lade where he can plug in and do a job.  He could still develop and maybe become starter material and if he does more power to him.

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Bulls soccer, the joke is on us.

I got a feeling that Muyl is going to score 5 goals this year.  The opportunities will be there...........I hope  he scores 15+ this year.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Etienne shows way more upside to me. Id rather he get more minutes, but Muyl deserves the chance to show how he's improved. Only been one game, still in pre season mode.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Good of Collin can get Green Card that just might save him cuz Parker will probably replace him as starter..

Still need upgrades over Muyl and Davis, they are serviceable at best great for depth or for playing mls matches weeks team is focusing on CL.. But need upgrades for their spots at least one more guy

It looks like Davis is off to a good start so far. I am now optimistic he will finally fulfill the potential he showed subbing for Dax when he was injured two years back. Would be good to upgrade Muyl though, that's for sure...

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Good of Collin can get Green Card that just might save him cuz Parker will probably replace him as starter..

Still need upgrades over Muyl and Davis, they are serviceable at best great for depth or for playing mls matches weeks team is focusing on CL.. But need upgrades for their spots at least one more guy

Would you take Arne Robben on the right wing over Muyl?  ;)

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Muyl is good as a chaser and disruptor for away games. Teams have a tendency to lay back when playing away, so a guy like Muyl counters that. As for skill, mediocre at best.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Why is Muyl good at?

In my opinion:

- he hustles his butt off for 90 minutes and never seems got get tired.
- hes good at applying pressure high up the field which forces opponents to boot it long a lot.
- hes good at applying high pressure that causes turn over in the opponent final third. This helps our offense a lot and in our system is very important to the offense.
- hes good at busting his butt and making hard runs to goal in the final third. Sometimes this pulls defenders with him and creates space for others. Other times it contributes to scoring chances, such as BWPs first goal the other night. It was Muyls hard run that tr cross was for, the defender flicked it back and BWP buried it.
- hes good at being alert and getting in good positions. Like the quick free kick that caught Olimpia off guard, then chested it down nicely before shooting it in the 10th row.

He definitely has opportunity to improve other parts of his game in a big, big way.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Why is Muyl good at?

In my opinion:

- hes good at applying pressure high up the field which forces opponents to boot it long a lot.
- hes good at applying high pressure that causes turn over in the opponent final third. This helps our offense a lot and in our system is very important to the offense.
- hes good at busting his butt and making hard runs to goal in the final third. Sometimes this pulls defenders with him and creates space for others. Other times it contributes to scoring chances, such as BWPs first goal the other night. It was Muyls hard run that tr cross was for, the defender flicked it back and BWP buried it.
- hes good at being alert and getting in good positions. Like the quick free kick that caught Olimpia off guard, then chested it down nicely before shooting it in the 10th row.

He definitely has opportunity to improve other parts of his game in a big, big way.

So he's good at being a distraction on the field for opposing defenders? But doesn't produce much offense for us?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Why is Muyl good at?

In my opinion:

All of this can basically be summed up as "runs around a lot on defense and off the ball, doesn't add much else offensively". And I like the guy and am still hoping he'll improve offensively this year after somewhat plateauing in 2017.

He still can but based on the 2 games so far, I'm expecting him to soon be moved to the bench like he was during the playoffs last year. Kaku will soon be starting in one of the offensive spots and Etienne could/should also be above Alex in the pecking order at this point.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm not a huge fan of Muyl but I wouldn't mind him being used in a way that Lade is.  Muyl just can't be an every game starter though.  Eventually Kaku should force him out of that which is nice, but I'd even go with Etienne nowadays.  

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

All of this can basically be summed up as "runs around a lot on defense and off the ball, doesn't add much else offensively". And I like the guy and am still hoping he'll improve offensively this year after somewhat plateauing in 2017.

He still can but based on the 2 games so far, I'm expecting him to soon be moved to the bench like he was during the playoffs last year. Kaku will soon be starting in one of the offensive spots and Etienne could/should also be above Alex in the pecking order at this point.

I too, am hoping Kaku will be good and move him out of the starting line up.

I would respectfully disagree with the way you value him offensively. If you look at the first 3 games so far this season, hes literally been involved with more good scoring opportunities than anyone else on the team. Maybe tied with BWP this far. His productively is poor and e doesnt have any sexy flicks and tricks. But for me, creating chances offensively Id a big deal.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I'm not a huge fan of Muyl but I wouldn't mind him being used in a way that Lade is.  Muyl just can't be an every game starter though.  Eventually Kaku should force him out of that which is nice, but I'd even go with Etienne nowadays.  

Muyl is a placeholder till we integrate Kaku fully which should be imminent.

At that point we will have Etienne, Muyl, Valot, Bezecourt, Mines, Casserres, etc. fighting for the back up / spot starter role for midfield during practices and when they are given minutes.

If Muyl  could get his head clear and finish like he probably can he would probably be a fan favorite, not because he has tremendous skill, but because of his hustle and heart.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I dunno... does he? He's played about 4,000 pro minutes in his athletic prime and has not shown even a glimpse of dribbling, crossing, or finishing ability. He's 22 which is still young by MLS standards, but at what point do you just figure he doesn't have the attacking chops? 

I can think of one goal that came about because Muyl made a noteworthy attacking play, and that was a long range hit while playing fullback. I can't think of a single play as a winger where we scored because he tried something interesting. He's getting credit so far this season for making some runs into the box, shouldn't that be a pretty minimum expectation for an attacking winger?

I keep waiting for this guy to settle into a role where he's playing ~1,000 min per season when we need more defensive grit. Somehow he keeps doubling that.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I dunno... does he? He's played about 4,000 pro minutes in his athletic prime and has not shown even a glimpse of dribbling, crossing, or finishing ability. He's 22 which is still young by MLS standards, but at what point do you just figure he doesn't have the attacking chops? 

I can think of one goal that came about because Muyl made a noteworthy attacking play, and that was a long range hit while playing fullback. I can't think of a single play as a winger where we scored because he tried something interesting. 

I keep waiting for this guy to settle into a role where he's playing ~1,000 min per season when we need more defensive grit. Somehow he keeps doubling that.

Maybe that is an indictment of our other back ups. Maybe they look flashier, but failed to produce what Muyl does. We have good coaches, they must see things that we are not seeing.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I too, am hoping Kaku will be good and move him out of the starting line up.

I would respectfully disagree with the way you value him offensively. If you look at the first 3 games so far this season, hes literally been involved with more good scoring opportunities than anyone else on the team. Maybe tied with BWP this far. His productively is poor and e doesnt have any sexy flicks and tricks. But for me, creating chances offensively Id a big deal.

I am glad to agree he's managed to be involved with most of our goals (BWP could easily have passed to him in a great position instead of shooting for the 1st goal v Olimpia + he was involved in both goals vs Tijuana) and had a couple of other chances which you note. But you have to also account for the numerous occasions on which he gave away the ball cheaply, where a better or more composed touch could have created a dangerous chance. The balance of positive vs negative plays so far this season is... not good.

I really like the kid and have his jersey. Hustle is very important, especially given our high pressing style. However, it's very difficult to adequately replace skill with hustle in a wide attacking position. Unfortunately, he reminds me of the way I play offensively in my rec leagues: a lot of effort which is often useful, but very little idea on how to beat people 1v1 (he showed a couple of flashes last year but nothing has stuck).

As a number of people have said, he's a great guy to have on the roster but he really shouldn't be our no. 2 starting winger as this point. Coming off the bench to harry tired defenders or protect the lead, sure. Spot starts in a congested schedule, definitely. Every day starting winger, no way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users