• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 haggis

haggis

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

" Lance Armstrong will end his retirement and hopes to compete in the 2009 Tour de France, according to a cycling journal report.

The 36-year-old seven-time Tour de France champion will compete in five road races with the Astana team in 2009, the cycling journal VeloNews reported on its Web site Monday, citing anonymous sources. "

Say it ain't so!
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#2 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Supports:The guy from Illinois

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Astana says nuh-uh

I say he gets chewed up in the tour if he comes back.

He rode Leadville and came in second which was great for only training for a month.

See...
'There's sublime pleasure in displeasure'

#3 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

Astana says nuh-uh

I say he gets chewed up in the tour if he comes back.

He rode Leadville and came in second which was great for only training for a month.

See...

Lance is also busy running marathons.
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

#4 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Well, it is official. Lance Armstrong is coming out of retirement.

I guess we will see how he does in 10 months.

VIVA Tour De Lance!

Hey, Kool Aid!

#5 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

the commies are coming!

#6 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

the mommies are coming!

Oh shit! we are in trouble. Time outs for everyone.

Hey, Kool Aid!

#7 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Versus must be drooling over this announcement. i hope he does well. cant wait til july 2009

#8 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

Versus must be drooling over this announcement. i hope he does well. cant wait til july 2009

Fuck yeah they are.

I'll say it right here right now, he won't win it. Too much time off the bike, banging actresses and partying like he's Shooter.
I don't care that he's ran a few marathons or rode Leadville...his time has come and gone.

He should leave well enough alone. He went out on top with 7 straight wins, why does he have to fuck around?

The Schleck brothers are going to teach him a lesson and make him suffer in the mountains.

I can't wait to watch it.

#9 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

Lance Today:

"MONT-TREMBLANT, Quebec -- For Lance Armstrong, the road back to the Tour de France began Friday in the Laurentian Mountains.

The seven-time winner of cycling's showcase race came to a resort north of Montreal and rode with about 40 cyclists over more than 60 miles of rain-soaked roads. To ride with Armstrong, each cyclist had to raise at least $25,000 for a cancer-care fund."

I'mbacktofightcancer

Hey, Kool Aid!

#10 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

take two...

#11 franknstein

franknstein

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...fEJvbtG_RQLMxIF

AUSTIN, Texas – Lance Armstrong believes French doping officials may ban him from riding in this summer's Tour de France over a report that he violated protocols during a recent drug test.

"There's a very high likelihood that they prohibit me from riding in the Tour," a somber Armstrong said Friday in a video statement posted on his Web site. "It's too bad. The tour is something I love dearly."

France's anti-doping agency, known as AFLD, has said the American did not fully cooperate with a drug tester when he showed up at Armstrong's home in France to collect blood, urine and hair samples from the cyclist on March 17.

Although no banned substances were found, the dispute revolves around a 20-minute delay when Armstrong went inside the house and took a shower while his assistants checked the tester's credentials.

The seven-time Tour winner said he asked the tester for permission to go inside and it was granted. The AFLD says Armstrong "did not respect the obligation to remain under the direct and permanent observation" of the tester.

According to Armstrong, the tester wrote "no" on the section of the official paperwork that asks if there was anything irregular about the test.

Armstrong has had tense relations with France's anti-doping authorities for years, but had been hoping to coexist with them while he tries for an eighth Tour title in July after coming out of a 3 1/2-year retirement.

"I know we have a lot of history there," Armstrong said. "I know that certainly my comeback wasn't welcomed by a lot of people in France. It's unfortunate."

Armstrong recorded the statement from Aspen, Colo., where he has spent a few days training as he tries to return from a fractured collarbone suffered last month during a race in Spain.

He predicted the dispute will continue to escalate and "we'll see even more antics out of the AFLD in the near future."

Armstrong said the disputed test was his 24th out-of-competition test since his comeback began last September.

A ban from the Tour, a race he dominated with consecutive wins from 1999-2005, would be a major blow to Armstrong's cycling plans.

Although he has scheduled another top race, the Giro d'Italia in May, the Tour de France remains cycling's crown jewel.

Armstrong has said the main focus of his return is to continue spreading his anti-cancer message to a global audience. Armstrong was diagnosed in 1996 with testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain.

"The comeback has been important to me for two main reasons: I have a passion for cycling still, but more importantly I have a passion for the global fight against cancer," Armstrong said.

"Certainly we wanted to tell that story in France," he said. "If we can't do, we can't do that. That's really their call. It's their event, their country and their rules."

The video was posted on the same day that the head of world cycling defended Armstrong, accusing the French agency of unprofessional and "disturbing" behavior. The French tests were not under the jurisdiction of the International Cycling Union.

"The fact (is) the test was done and was a matter of fact reported by Lance Armstrong himself on Twitter," UCI president Pat McQuaid told the BBC. "Then the French authorities decided to make up a report on the testing procedure, forward it to the UCI — knowing that the UCI have no jurisdiction in this case — and at the same time that report has leaked to the press.

"So I would have to question why is that the case? I would have to say that the French are not acting very professionally in this case."

McQuaid said proceedings between anti-doping agencies and the UCI are supposed to be kept confidential until "a decision to open up the case has been taken."

"But this case, it has leaked to the press and I do find that disturbing," he said.

Thoughts?
Cuz, man, have you seen the women in Liverpool? Sea scags, man.- Calexico

#12 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

This is doping! Not that wimpy shot in the butt baseball style stuff...if you want to go, go big!

No other pro athletes torture themselves as much as pro cyclists. I love it.

#13 franknstein

franknstein

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Armstrong's team, Astana, announced that Alberto Contador will lead them in the Tour De France—not Lance.

I don't see Lance and Levi throwing their support 100% behind Alberto.
Cuz, man, have you seen the women in Liverpool? Sea scags, man.- Calexico

#14 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Armstrong's team, Astana, announced that Alberto Contador will lead them in the Tour De France—not Lance.

I don't see Lance and Levi throwing their support 100% behind Alberto.

I don't know, do they have a choice? Turn it into some LeMond/Hinault La Vie Claire thing?

Neither one can win the tour right now (IMO). Lance is too old with too much time off and Levi tends to get dropped on those multiple days of tough climbing. I could be completely wrong.

#15 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Buhdump!

We'll be needing this and this.

Ventoux! Siouxsie Sioux!

Don't really care too much about the sprints, climbing is where it's at. I like climbing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users