Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=39469

As for a new contract, Wright-Phillips made it clear to BigAppleSoccer.com that he'd like to extend his stay in New York for the long-term.

“Of course, I like it here,” Wright-Phillips said. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Lock 'em up

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
Question is really what the new Cap looks like, and whether he'd stay for similar money. He's making $ 330k base and $ 372.5k total, so if the cap only goes up like 3% or something, I'm not sure if we'd keep him. He just scored 27 goals, so he could rightly ask for low-level DP money like $ 600k or something. Would we go that high?(Consider, Eddie Johnson makes $ 613k total). But, Mike Magee also scored a ton of goals & got a new deal (iirc), and is now making $ 417k. So maybe it'll settle around $ 500k. Do we take him for $ 500k?

I'd consider it, and yes, the guy just scored 27 goals, but, we'd again be investing a DP cap hit on him, and do we really think he's scoring 25+ goals without TH14 feeding him? Not entirely sure. You can make the case that he deserves a chance to prove that he can do it without Henry, but, do you want to be paying the bill on a 2-3 year deal to find out? Not entirely sure.

So, do we make him a $ 500k low-level DP? I could see that, but, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. We've had no DP3, and DP1 is retiring. Austria said that they'd look to spend less, so replacing $ 5m TH14 with $ 500k BWP and maybe another DP at $ 500-750k would fall in line with that policy. Our cap number would be way less than last year, we would have 3 DPs and a bit of continuity.

Back to that nagging question, though....do we face off in the marketing race against David Villa and Frank Lampard, with aging Tim Cahill and BWP? You can argue they'd have flash, we'd have substance, but the only way I accept them not going after some top talent is that they must use that 3rd DP slot on some talented player to bolster the squad. We can do good things with continuity and growing players (Oyongo, Duvall, etc growing as time goes on), but we'd need a Guillermo Barros-Schelloto or a Diego Valeri type to help provide some spark. I don't want to sign some Steven Gerrard type just to sell tickets, but I don't want them saying 'BWP is our DP signing' and just giving up there by not going after another guy to fill that 3rd slot. (I'm not saying they will, I'm saying I don't want them to). 

MdG said on SeeingRed that they weren't planning on doing a lot of marketing, and that they would ride the wave of NYCFC marketing to draw attention to us. Well..that sounds stupid, but anyway. If we're a winning team with the right mix of players and a $ 8m cap number while they were Galacticos with a $ 20m payroll that lost all the time, I'm fine w/that, because wins > marketing when it's all said and done. But they were clearly trying to not spend there, and I worry about where else they aren't spending.

Not trying to freak out, but I am concerned about who is making the calls on things like DP3 and signing BWP to a new contract with Roxy gone. I don't feel like Houllier has a good grasp for the silly shit like allocation money and salary caps, and we know that Jason Kries will be trying to make the most of his full budget. Can they get someone in here in time to make the right moves in the off-season? I don't want them to drag this out and just give the salary cap to Campos for an off-season while we fart around trying to interview some front office re-tread for the player personnel role. 

You have to figure that next year we can switch to a 4-4-2 with Cahill & BWP up top, or at least do a 4-2-3-1 with Cahill in TH14's role and Peguy pulling the strings. Our starting lineup could be okay if Cahill has a bounce-back year, but we'd obviously be weaker without TH14 out there and Olave a year older. We'd need cover in the back, and some legit FWD options off the bench.

I like BWP, he's a nice guy, I hope he stays. If it is for non-DP max, that's fine. If it is for low-level DP money (which is essentially the same cap hit, just that we couldn't have an actual 3rd DP because it's already him), I'd live with that too, as long as they busted their ass to find the right player for the other DP slot. Maybe they splash the cash a bit and spend $ 1m/year on Cubo Torres, who made $ 180k last year but had a great year and is now fielding offers from Mexico which have to be pretty decent in nature. He's 21, has played in MLS, and has a lot of upside. Granted, he's a FWD and maybe doesn't really fit our scheme, but, he's also a special player and I'd be interested at a decent number.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I like BWP, he's a nice guy, I hope he stays. If it is for non-DP max, that's fine. If it is for low-level DP money (which is essentially the same cap hit, just that we couldn't have an actual 3rd DP), I'd live with that too, as long as they busted their ass to find the right player for the other DP slot. Maybe they splash the cash a bit and spend $ 1m/year on Cubo Torres, who made $ 180k last year but had a great year and is now fielding offers from Mexico which have to be pretty decent in nature. He's 21, has played in MLS, and has a lot of upside. Granted, he's a FWD and maybe doesn't really fit our scheme, but, he's also a special player and I'd be interested.

If Cubo and BWP can recreate the all-star goal with any sort of regularity, it'll be money very, very well spent, assuming you meant getting Cubo to play with BWP instead of replacing him. What's the latest word on Cubo's situation? Weren't they trying to keep him in LA?

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Yeah, I essentially meant playing Cubo either alongside BWP in a 4-4-2 or in TH14's role as kind of a roving MF/F in a 4-2-3-1 alongside Peguy & Sam.

My basic assumption for 2015 is that we end up in a 4-4-2 with Cahill & BWP up top, or we stick with the 4-2-3-1 and Cahill replaces TH14, because we've made no other signings and are in full "wait until the summer transfer window..." mode. During which we'll sign no one just like last year, and be right back here in 4th-5th place next off-season.

What I would really like, however, is that 4-2-3-1 with Cubo. I don't know the latest with his contract, but I wouldn't not be surprised at all to see him taking LD's DP spot and getting $1m a year to stay in MLS and play for Los Angeles. 

That said, if I really had to guess, he takes $2m a year and plays either for the other Chivas, or Club America, etc in LigaMX.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

a 4-4-2 with Cahill and BWP up top is a disaster and 15 steps in the wrong direction

if that happens, we're so fucked. It'll be a return to those awesome games where we have nothing going on in the middle of the field and we hit 40 aimless crosses per game that are easily caught by the opposing keeper. I guess something will be going in the middle of the field: their team constantly charging through it.

What they should do, but won't: sell Cahill, pay BWP what he wants, bring in a LM to challenge Oyongo, sign a 10 (Valeri-esque) who can feed BWP.

We won't lose a step.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users