309 replies to this topic

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
Taking a quick look, we brought in 12 new guys this year.

Coronel
Reyes
Edwards
Monzon
Gutman
Amaya
Carmona
Bento
Diarra
Harper
Fabio
Klimala

Even if a few of them were projects to RBNY II, Id say Thelwell has about as much to answer for as Struber

(And I agree that Struber needs to be rotating more than he has been. Especially the midfield since he has no one to rotate in defense or up top

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Coronel
Reyes
Edwards
Monzon
Gutman
Amaya
Carmona
Bento
Diarra
Harper
Fabio
Klimala

Even if a few of them were projects to RBNY II, Id say Thelwell has even more to answer for then Struber

They're young and may still develop and contribute. Thelwell and Struber won't be fired after being brought in at a significant cost.

But yeah, this year sucks and will keep sucking. Hopefully 22 will be better. I guess it will be hard not to.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

They're young and may still develop and contribute. Thelwell and Struber won't be fired after being brought in at a significant cost.

But yeah, this year sucks and will keep sucking. Hopefully 22 will be better. I guess it will be hard not to.

I get the youth part, but thats part of it. 12 guys and all of them were essentially fliers on youth and not one was an established veteran.

I also understand they wont be fired, but this has been underwhelming roster building and coaching if you believe winning cups should be our #1 priority

Which our ownership clearly does not believe so. So they have the most to answer for.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

I get the youth part, but thats part of it. 12 guys and all of them were essentially fliers on youth and not one was an established veteran.

I also understand they wont be fired, but this has been underwhelming roster building and coaching if you believe winning cups should be our #1 priority

Which our ownership clearly does not believe so. So they have the most to answer for.

If we brought in those guys AND 2 DPs that are worthy of the name, this roster would be solid. The failure (as usual) is not bringing in those DPs and allowing the back line to become a mess. With league-average CBs this team is at least a playoff team that has exciting future potential. Even before Long got hurt he really didnt have anyone to play with. I respect the decision on Parker but Tarek, Nealis and a castoff Reyes as your only options was horrible

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Coronel
Reyes
Edwards
Monzon
Gutman
Amaya
Carmona
Bento
Diarra
Harper
Fabio
Klimala

Even if a few of them were projects to RBNY II, Id say Thelwell has about as much to answer for as Struber

(And I agree that Struber needs to be rotating more than he has been. Especially the midfield since he has no one to rotate in defense or up top

Utilizing a system that demands depth when you have none instead of coming up with something that works for the talent you have is such an indictment on both the coach and organization.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Again, we have to field a team. But we don't have a budget. Only thing I blame Thelwell for is thinking Klimala was worth 5. I was against that move from the jump.

#RedBullOut

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Utilizing a system that demands depth when you have none instead of coming up with something that works for the talent you have is such an indictment on both the coach and organization.

More the coach in this instance for not adapting when so many of his players are injured.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Again, we have to field a team. But we don't have a budget. Only thing I blame Thelwell for is thinking Klimala was worth 5. I was against that move from the jump.

They overpaid for Yearwood. He is an average MLS player.

Reyes is a big mistake too, and not because of the injuries. They really overpaid for what? A walking yellow card.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Again they pigeon hole themselves in so many ways. Price point, where they shop, age restrictions, fit (Yearwood, Amaya, Harper clearly dont fit at this point)

You have to surround some of these risks with some more players who have had success and a track record somewhere. You could spend $2-3 million on a 25-28 year old who has produced or $2-3 million on a 19-22 year old on a guy with little senior experience. Theres no balance.

Theres no easier job btw. No one in the fanbase expects anything anymore, they dont have to talk to a non existent media. A normal team might have had a presser post window to get some information about the process and where we are going. They really dont realize that giving us nothing doesnt build trust or confidence

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Coronel
Reyes
Edwards
Monzon
Gutman
Amaya
Carmona
Bento
Diarra
Harper
Fabio
Klimala

The only loanees that I'd retain would be Edwards and Fabio, send the rest back, unless Gutman can be had for minimal cost. If we kept Monzon, he'd prob be playing more for the reserves than the first team. 

Amaya they might have to keep. Carmona can stay. We seem to be stuck with the 2 remaining ex-Celtic players. Bento is on the Supplemental Roster anyway, so he doesn't count against the cap. Every other player is a cap hit of some sort. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Have a feeling Coronel sticks which is an issue because of the inability to get GCs.

Going to have to open up a number of intl spots if they are going to actually address the issues plaguing this team

RB is an issue if Edwards doesnt come back, CAM is a glaring issue, another 6, another ST. The domestic player pool doesnt strike me as an option for this regime, so they are going to be under a numbers crunch.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

More the coach in this instance for not adapting when so many of his players are injured.

What system is there to make up for the fact that all but one or two guys on your bench are USL quality? Struber supposed to tell them to go out there and not run? He has definitely scaled back the press recently, but damage is already done when you have to go through an entire summer with bench options that have already proven they can't cut it at this level.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Have a feeling Coronel sticks which is an issue because of the inability to get GCs.

Going to have to open up a number of intl spots if they are going to actually address the issues plaguing this team

RB is an issue if Edwards doesnt come back, CAM is a glaring issue, another 6, another ST. The domestic player pool doesnt strike me as an option for this regime, so they are going to be under a numbers crunch.

i mean they tried with Amaya but he has slumped badly after looking pretty solid originally.  I still want to know why we picked up Royer's contract option at the end of last year.  Burning TAM salary on a guy we know hasnt played at a TAM level since 2019 AND plays a position that our manager doesnt use.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

i mean they tried with Amaya but he has slumped badly after looking pretty solid originally.  I still want to know why we picked up Royer's contract option at the end of last year.  Burning TAM salary on a guy we know hasnt played at a TAM level since 2019 AND plays a position that our manager doesnt use.

He seems like an obvious goner, maybe they can get Struber another Austrian attacker as a replacement

Egbo gone, Pendant gone, Jensen is on loan until the end of June 2022 (effectively off the roster), Jørgensen loaned to RB2 or elsewhere until his contract runs out, Diarra gone, Carmona and/or Monzon could be paper loaned to the 2s on the regular if they need to fudge spots

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

there for sure is some underlying salary budget or cap issue going on because there is no way Thelwell watched this team and didn't want to add more.  But there is no transparency in MLS to know.  Whether its due to Red Bull thinking Kaku legal settlement would have paid by now impacting transfer budget, or Jorgy's and his salary/xfer fee coming back against cap.

We basically traded White and Valot for cash that we probably didnt use unless Monzon is making a lot more money than i think he is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users