JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I refuse to be this pessimistic. ... I'm confident

I wish I could be as confident as you.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Dumping Armas a month earlier and cutting Barlow at the end of this season says ok, these guys know what there doing. But neither happened.

I don't see how either of those things are relevant to Thelwell's willingness and ability to hit the transfer market. They could very easily have kept Barlow on with the full intent of him being 3rd/4th string. The timing of Armas's firing is completely irrelevant as far as I see it.

If you just want to take a "believe it when I see it approach" that's fine, can't say I blame you. But I don't think its ridiculous to think that Red Bull spent $2M on a coach, who specifically left his old club for a lack of spending, without the intent to spend some money for him this year.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Who's out there that you think is going to get us meaningfully closer to a Cup?

Plenty.

https://www.mlssocce...2021-mls-season

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If you just want to take a "believe it when I see it approach" that's fine, can't say I blame you. But I don't think its ridiculous to think that Red Bull spent $2M on a coach, who specifically left his old club for a lack of spending, without the intent to spend some money for him this year.

He's just ensuring he has a job in Germany/Austria. RBNY is his probationary period. Once he passes that, Struber'll get to zee choppa and he's gone. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Plenty.

Better question is probably which of those guys is preferable to looking elsewhere in the transfer market. Most of them are free agents for a reason (old, expensive, unproductive, etc...)

Any striker on that list who could help is almost definitely in the TAM or DP salary range. The only #10 on there is Nguyen who is 34 and was making $525k at LAFC.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

He's just ensuring he has a job in Germany/Austria. RBNY is his probationary period. Once he passes that, Struber'll get to zee choppa and he's gone. 

Yeah - I think you are right, but he HAS to pass the probation period. I mean, if he doesn't win the supporters shield or make it to the MLS cup final, I'd say that could be a failure. I'd prefer a team with guys like Jesse Marsch sticking around to see that season out and making a run, BWP retiring here, keeping your leaders and captains... but that's not what we have. There are, however, upsides to having new blood with a pretty intense carrot/stick combo: either succeed and have a career for a Champions League team, or fail and go to the second division.    

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

He's not getting a job in Austria if he does a shit job here. And he's not doing a good job here with this current roster. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Better question is probably which of those guys is preferable to looking elsewhere in the transfer market. Most of them are free agents for a reason (old, expensive, unproductive, etc...)

Any striker on that list who could help is almost definitely in the TAM or DP salary range. The only #10 on there is Nguyen who is 34 and was making $525k at LAFC.

Our team is not good.

Left back, midfield as a whole, striker corp as a whole, leadership, etc.

I would sit down for real talks with anyone on that list (okay maybe not ANYONE). Finding the right guy, the right fit, even though he might not jump out at you, can mean the difference and should be taken seriously.

As a recent example...Etienne.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Struber managing in MLS is his "trial by fire", if he can get the team to the playoffs or a USOC final, he doesn't get canned and will be under consideration for the other RBGlobal gigs.

Look, Armas staved off firing by prob saying (with arms furiously waving): "Look, i had the lead with the DPs, but they got knocked outta the game, i got this team to the playoffs."

All he has to do is get this team to 6th in the East, and he's "fine" in their eyes. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

As a recent example...Etienne.

Might have some rose-tinted glasses on looking at Etienne right now cause he scored in the MLS Cup final, reality is he had a mediocre regular season and wasn't even intended to start that game. Not to mention we are likely not going to play with traditional wingers next year. I don't personally think he makes us any better.

My stance assumes Thelwell has the budget and connections to bring in players internationally to fill key spots in the starting lineup. If not, I'd be fine taking a flyer on one of the veteran strikers. Trapp's the only midfielder I'd seriously consider over guys like CCJ and Yearwood. Morrow I actually think is a good fit as a wingback even if he's aging, he played there for a very good Toronto team for a few years.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Might have some rose-tinted glasses on looking at Etienne right now cause he scored in the MLS Cup final, reality is he had a mediocre regular season and wasn't even intended to start that game. Not to mention we are likely not going to play with traditional wingers next year. I don't personally think he makes us any better.

My point is Columbus had a need and filled it with an MLS lifer. And that lifer helped them to MLS Cup.

Theres someone for everyone.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
If Kaku is sold the roster will stand at 20/30 spots filled, with 6 senior roster spots and 5 international spots open

I realize last season this team left roster spots open and even after signing Yearwood and Tetteh mid season they only filled 18/20 senior spots, but I think its super pessimistic to believe they wont at least have 18 senior roster players going into next season. That would mean at least 3 or 4 non RB2 signings coming.

Thats literally the minimum bar for Thelwell to clear, without even discussing the quality of those signings. I have more confidence in him than I had and would have in Hamlett to fill that many spots in one offseason, but we have to see it happen.

OTOH, even as a throwaway/give nothing away answer it was slightly disconcerting that at the year end press conference he stated that there werent specific targets yet.

With that many roster spots to fill, a quick turnaround to preseason, and having to deal with quarantine issues as well as usual visa delays, the hope would be that they have their shit together.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Struber managing in MLS is his "trial by fire", if he can get the team to the playoffs or a USOC final, he doesn't get canned and will be under consideration for the other RBGlobal gigs.

Look, Armas staved off firing by prob saying (with arms furiously waving): "Look, i had the lead with the DPs, but they got knocked outta the game, i got this team to the playoffs."

All he has to do is get this team to 6th in the East, and he's "fine" in their eyes. 

This team, as currently constructed, is not finishing 6th in the East. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Chris Duvall still around!
Wiki still shows him in an RB jersey:
https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Chris_Duvall

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

6th in East and get 3-4 developing players major minutes with 1-2 sold on (either to Leipzig/Salzburg or elsewhere), you might be right. And they already have Clark in that pool. 

But I'd guess if its only 1-2 young (17-18yo) developing players getting major minutes, then some real silverware would be required for him to be safe long term/have a future on the mothership.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users