91 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I watched all the rb2 matches and most who do also agree the only guys who should move up are Tolkin, Sowe, and maybe Stroud.

And mostly the only reason to sign the first two is to keep them with the team since their highly rated. Think Ben Mines 2 years ago. Stroud I think should get promoted as he was our best player but others think he fell off. No matter what happens these three should not be expected to make an impact.

Those guys might be the only players coming in the door this offseason, so they will be leaned on to make a big impact.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Those guys might be the only players coming in the door this offseason, so they will be leaned on to make a big impact.

Then were 100% not making the playoffs.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
I agree that the moved "kinda make sense" but everyone here agrees the FO sucks, so I don't see how we can feel anything but salty about it. Was Robles a DP? If so, does it even matter? Seem to think he wasn't though

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I watched all the rb2 matches and most who do also agree the only guys who should move up are Tolkin, Sowe, and maybe Stroud.

And mostly the only reason to sign the first two is to keep them with the team since their highly rated. Think Ben Mines 2 years ago. Stroud I think should get promoted as he was our best player but others think he fell off. No matter what happens these three should not be expected to make an impact.

I was talking about non-RB2.   None of the RB2 guys would be impact signings for the first team.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Murillo couldn't start over Buckmaster and they exercised the option to keep Murillo? Is this to sell him? Or is this an admission that starting Buckmaster was a mistake?

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Bigger teams with larger-than-life legendary players have also let them go unceremoniously. Long gone are the days where you kept legends around for sentimental reasons. Soccer is a business, and the moves for BWP and Robles make sense.

BWP is a legend, will always be a legend, but he was not producing anymore for the salary he was making plus the age factor.

Robles is also a legend, will always be a legend, but we have a cheaper option in Meara - let's not forget that he filled in fine when Luis went down with an injury - for a much lower salary. Besides, his distribution has always been better that Luis'.

What management does to build the roster is a completely different issue. There is not a good track record in that front.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

"We are searching for the right players for this system. We have a few in mind and are working hard to make it happen".

That is what he will probably say.

This.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Out:
Robles, BWP, DE7, Beze, Koffi, Louro and Epps.

This team makes it easy to not show up to the stadium.

Counterpoint :

Robles : Substantial cap savings, and his back up was the starter (**** NE) and supposed long term local boy solution.

BWP : Past it

DE7 : Never clicked

Louro, Epps : Not RB I worthy IMO.

(Ill leave aside Beze since I dont know his cap hit and I thought he was fine depth. I dont know enough about Koffi either)

My main issue is I dont trust Hamlett or Armas in the least.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Murillo couldn't start over Buckmaster and they exercised the option to keep Murillo? Is this to sell him? Or is this an admission that starting Buckmaster was a mistake?

Buck is our franchise RB, in Armas' view. Murillo probably will get sold to some Panamanian club for peanuts and they'll call up an RBII player to backup Buck.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

BWP I get but Meara isn't better than Robles, and that's just the truth. We're not going to do anything with the 200k savings.

Meara is a very good gk. At one point Ireland was considering to cap him before he got hurt and robles took his job.

What will be missed is robles ability to organize the backline but meara is a better shot blocker.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

I am suprised they kept him.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Does it make the team better?

Answer: no

but how much worse are we.

Not a whole lot Id say.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro
If we weren't on the coupon budget program for the last few years I would have faith in the cap savings.

Instead we all assume we're sliding into further savings

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

There is logic to these moves...if you trust management...which it appears very few people do...I certainly dont trust them.

You lost me at trust.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

From a purely sporting perspective, I actually agree with the moves.

- Ryan Meara is a starter quality keeper. Younger and makes a lot less money. He's impressed any time he has gotten the chance. It is time for him to take over the position. 

- BWP's age caught up with him. By the end of last year, he was our 3rd chose striker behind White and Barlow. It was time to move on.

From an emotional standpoint...this hurts. This really hurts. Its the end of an era. We should have won a Cup with these guys but we never did. 3 Shields to show for it though. And a lot of memories. Time to re-build and create a new era of Metro legends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users