410 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

They wouldn't be able to have the games without a bubble. The MLB and USL are proving it doesn't work.

As to the games themselves they have looked and been played with the same intensity as normal playoff games. If you can't see that then that's on you.

It actually is working though in the MLB and USL, because the seasons are ongoing. If they flat-out cancelled the season because of covid cases then you can say it didn't work. But to say that now is premature.

I think you're also missing the point about the playoffs. When you ask any hockey fan what they think when you say 'NHL playoffs', nearly all of them will tell you intensity, crazy atmospheres and exciting games. Those three things are a package. If you take the atmosphere out, it doesn't make it a complete package anymore.

The NHL can call it whatever they want, but there is no way you can watch last season's playoffs side by side with what is going on now and act like it's close to what it always is.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

It actually is working though in the MLB and USL, because the seasons are ongoing. If they flat-out cancelled the season because of covid cases then you can say it didn't work. But to say that now is premature.

I think you're also missing the point about the playoffs. When you ask any hockey fan what they think when you say 'NHL playoffs', nearly all of them will tell you intensity, crazy atmospheres and exciting games. Those three things are a package. If you take the atmosphere out, it doesn't make it a complete package anymore.

The NHL can call it whatever they want, but there is no way you can watch last season's playoffs side by side with what is going on now and act like it's close to what it always is.

The MLB commissioner is threatening to cancel the season and it only started a little over a week ago. You saying it's working is definitely premature as well.

I've been a Devils season ticket holder for a long time, I know what playoff hockey is supposed to look like. Not having fans sucks but this is what they have to do right now and hockey with no fans is better than no hockey at all.

The on ice product has been great, especially considering these guys haven't played legit games since March.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Who suggested that? You're rambling here.

Didn't think my post needed a sarcasm tag, but if I must spell out my point, I completely disagree with your claim that "no fans cheapens the product immensely".

It's obviously not an ideal situation, and while I wouldn't be opposed to leagues safely letting some fans back in, I completely understand why they haven't yet. And I am still enjoying the product, thank you, and am sure that many millions of fans are too.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Yep. No fans cheapens the product immensely.

The point was, all the leagues, even the biggest ones in the world, are taking a safe route. I watched the FA Cup final today and, to my eye on tv, the lack of fans wasnt really noticeable. Maybe the FA does a better job than others in using camera angles that minimize the lack of attendance or maybe I just watch the game instead of watching the people watching the game.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Yeah, which is why the Belarusian league is now the most popular in the world. Come on.

You realize that the mighty mighty Slutsk probably have more worldwide notoriety right now than us right? But since it's Belarus getting team merch like kits is impossible which is sad because they'd make a fortune if they could sell them.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,422 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
UK having problems as well:
https://nypost.com/2...-amid-covid-19/
Yet, the Dutch take a different approach:
https://www.dailymai...rings-work.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users