• 14,664 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Do we even high press anymore?

Seems like Jesse has slowed it down, hopefully to save legs for the post season

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Seems like Jesse has slowed it down, hopefully to save legs for the post season

Definitely seems intentional, right? I was wondering if its partially because Jesse wants them to figure out how to score through more deliberate build up, since we've relied on basically nothing but lightning fast counters or set pieces for two years.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Do we even high press anymore?

Looked like we were, only for the defense to be repeatedly lobbed by NE. Only their putrid finishing & some saving plays by the back line & Luis kept us in it.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Definitely seems intentional, right? I was wondering if its partially because Jesse wants them to figure out how to score through more deliberate build up, since we've relied on basically nothing but lightning fast counters or set pieces for two years.

Giving up on scoring from set pieces and high pressing is a ballsy move, but I guess it's one way to develop a plan B!

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Giving up on scoring from set pieces and high pressing is a ballsy move, but I guess it's one way to develop a plan B!

Has any reporter asked Jesse why the set piece game has collapsed? We are horrific on set piece defense. And our set piece offense is as limp as can be. For me this is the number one reason why we haven't been better this year. Either way despite our struggles, we're right there and if people start clicking more (sacha for the love of god), we'll be fine. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
"Clicking" is more about short term drops in form. His play may improve, but the only clicking we'll be getting from sacha will be from his knees.

In hindsight, he should've gotten traded, not Dax.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

"Clicking" is more about short term drops in form. His play may improve, but the only clicking we'll be getting from sacha will be from his knees.

Word

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Has any reporter asked Jesse why the set piece game has collapsed? We are horrific on set piece defense. And our set piece offense is as limp as can be. For me this is the number one reason why we haven't been better this year. Either way despite our struggles, we're right there and if people start clicking more (sacha for the love of god), we'll be fine. 

Feel like we are seeing a lot more balls floating over the entire box and missing everyone or short balls that hit the first defender and go nowhere. We have Colin and DP who are both good in the air, why we don't target them is just so weird. 

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

haha yep. I mean right now running a midfield of Felipe in the hole with Dax and Adams/Davis really was the move. But did anybody here think Sacha was going to decline so rapidly? Will he recover his form? I personally thought Dax had juice left, but my thought was "long punishing career so far, lots of injuries in 2016, this could be smart with Adams and Davis filling in for him." But looking at Sacha's playoffs, his USMNT camp form, his CCL play against Vancouver, his form so far this year; he's not been good! The other thing that is important is that Twellman tweeted that Felipe was almost traded as well. Clearly Marsch felt Sacha was fine, but maybe he misread it as well? 

Feel like we are seeing a lot more balls floating over the entire box and missing everyone or short balls that hit the first defender and go nowhere. We have Colin and DP who are both good in the air, why we don't target them is just so weird. 

I haven't seen any analysis on this, but for me the service has been poor. That's mostly on Sacha. As for Perinelle and Colin, with how injured they've been this year, who knows. Our targets have been mostly Long and Royer. 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

haha yep. I mean right now running a midfield of Felipe in the hole with Dax and Adams/Davis really was the move. But did anybody here think Sacha was going to decline so rapidly? Will he recover his form? I personally thought Dax had juice left, but my thought was "long punishing career so far, lots of injuries in 2016, this could be smart with Adams and Davis filling in for him." But looking at Sacha's playoffs, his USMNT camp form, his CCL play against Vancouver, his form so far this year; he's not been good! The other thing that is important is that Twellman tweeted that Felipe was almost traded as well. Clearly Marsch felt Sacha was fine, but maybe he misread it as well? 
I haven't seen any analysis on this, but for me the service has been poor. That's mostly on Sacha. As for Perinelle and Colin, with how injured they've been this year, who knows. Our targets have been mostly Long and Royer. 

And Muyl too. Hes not really good at that.

LONG LIVE METRO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

No one thought that Sacha would have a similar massive dropoff in form to Lindpere. Same thing. Played great for 2 yrs, then performance has literally fell off a cliff. Describes Sacha's time here pretty well. Only difference being is that Sacha's salary is about 6x bigger than Lindpere's. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The offensive SP stuff last year was gimmicky but worked. I understand cutting back on it, but why we've gone to every dead ball this season being a Sacha cross with Felipe milling around him is beyond me. Other than propping up Sacha's chances created stats, there's no logical reason that I can see. At least throw the other stuff out once a game to keep opponents honest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users