428 replies to this topic

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Watched the videos of his goals this year. This was his best season ever here. He was much more deliberate with his chances and many of his strikes were perfect side net shots. He got much better in finishing the service he received. Good headers and nice volley finishes. He might actually be the best player to play for this team which I know is insane, but you're not supposed to see someone score this much. We definitely have to credit TH14 for assisting him and Sacha for doing it this year, but at the end of the day the guy scores at unheard of rates.

None cane from PKs by the way. If we let him take them, he would of broken the record. I think he should take them in the playoffs. His confidence is high and that's basically all PKs are.

If you look at his percentage of shots made vs practically every other high scoring F in MLS its ridiculous.  Only Altidore and Gio were close.  Villa took 63 more shots than BWP and 5 of his 23 goals were penalties.  Giovinco took 74 more shots than Bradley, and he hit 4 PKs out of 17 goals.

BWP did miss his one PK during the year, but other than that, he was nails from about August on. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
I love BWP, and he is up among the most legendary metros, but let's imagine that for TH14's four years here he played in BWPs spot and got this level of service? He would've scored 100. Nay, 1,000.

Still boils my balls that they didn't sign a world class playmaker for him. Like buying a sports car and putting off road tires on it.

That said, BWP scores 5 in the playoffs on the way to an mls cup, and breaks 100 next year with improved play from the two wide mids. You read it on the internet so it's true now!

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I love BWP, and he is up among the most legendary metros, but let's imagine that for TH14's four years here he played in BWPs spot and got this level of service? He would've scored 100. Nay, 1,000.

Still boils my balls that they didn't sign a world class playmaker for him. Like buying a sports car and putting off road tires on it.

That said, BWP scores 5 in the playoffs on the way to an mls cup, and breaks 100 next year with improved play from the two wide mids. You read it on the internet so it's true now!

TH14 did some unreal stuff here and was the most talented player I have ever seen. It is totally a shame he did not have someone to get him service like BWP has gotten. It's an interesting thing that someone who isn't great 1v1 against defenders can be so successful. BWP is quite fit and has good pace, much more so than TH14 who had to play smart to save himself. To BWP's credit, he's actually improved since TH14s time here. He's gotten better in the air and better on the first touch. He also gets in fantastic spaces. TH14 probably taught him a lot though. To the rest of the team's credit and especially Sacha's, they get him some fantastic service - which again does make everyone wonder what would have happened if the great TH14 was getting that. The closest he got was probably Luyindula (remember that fantastic pass and then goal by TH14 in the route against Chicago to win the SS?).

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

From MLS Analyst:

...BWP has proven to be one of the single best signings in MLS history.

This is probably a better way to look at BWP. Everyone know JPA & Henry had next level talent when they signed. Even someone like Sacha, who has surpassed expectations, had a more successful European career than BWP. The fact that the other Wright-Phillips (not Ian or Shaun) is now in the conversation with the Metro greatest makes him the best signing in my book.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We've had a lot of big signings underperform over the years.

I don't want to recite the litany here, but it traces back to 1996. 

It's nice to have had a few who exceeded expectations.

Some are still producing for us this season. :cheers:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I don't know if I buy that he hasn't made the best possible use of all that service, BWP's finishing is much better than a lot of people want to give him credit for. Compared to the other top scorers this year, BWP had the best shooting accuracy and needed the fewest shots to score, by a decent margin. We'd need one of those fancy expected goal graphics MLS puts together to factor in the quality of his chances vs. every else, since it seems like guys like Giovinco and Villa are shooting from literally anywhere, but the numbers still go a long way to support him as a clinical finisher.

Henry was a strange case though, he showed up here saying pretty clearly that he was happy to play the role of provider instead of goalscorer, and the one time we tried to put him with a more traditional #10 (De Rosario) the experiment only lasted a few weeks cause they were stepping on each others toes. I don't think Henry ever had much interest in playing the type of aggressive striker role BWP has.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Well, its not like they had DP slots they wasted on a GK or anything like that.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

As far as pure greatness the only player we ever had who was close to TH was Mathis before he got hurt. God talk about what could've been, and even after the injury he was real good.

We have obviously had some players who were great in their time, but who were "past it" by the time they were with us (Lothar, etc.). One who was great for us but easily overlooked because he was light years ahead of everyone else on the pitch and the team was a collection of misfits at that time, who only played two years and played way before most people on here today started following the team was Roberto Donadoni. But Mount Rushmore has 4 heads, not one, because glory is rarely retained for only one. If we carve the stone today, it Would be Henry, BWP, Mathis and Petke for me. In ten years we might rejigger that, but for now the list captures the greatest skill (TH14), the most production (BWP), the greatest spark (Mathis) and the greatest heart (Petke). 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Sacha has to (and has actually) enter the conversation of one of the best to ever play for this team. I would let life long fans decide for sure, but he's remarkably good and remarkably consistent. He was the assist leader in the league this season which is awesome. It needs to lead to something though for both players. Success has been attained by both guys by winning the SS, winning the ECF, advancing in CCL, but more is going to be needed or it is just going to go down as a bunch of good passes and a bunch of good goals.

It's amazing to even discuss both guys in such a way when it wasn't long ago that both were in the dog house. I do not think I ever got on Sacha's case, but I'm pretty sure I had some negative things to say about BWP at some point. He wasn't clinical enough ultimately and there was some concern about the guy at times. It's all worked out though and I think it's a mix of getting guys with good character who are smart and can be coached. It's working well anyways.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

and the greatest heart (Petke). 

Can Dax ever reach Petke-level status?  He's got to be pretty close.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Off-topic, but when I look back at the 2006 SuperDraft in Philly:

At #1, we drafted Marvel Wynne ("Wynne for the Metros! ...")

Round Two, @#17, we selected Jozy Altidore.

#2, RSL picks Mehdi Ballouchy.

#5, Chivas chooses Sacha Klejstan.

#6, FCD selects Dax McCarty.

Many of us were there, but who could have foreseen Sacha & Dax for RB?

Or even RB?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't know if I buy that he hasn't made the best possible use of all that service, BWP's finishing is much better than a lot of people want to give him credit for. Compared to the other top scorers this year, BWP had the best shooting accuracy and needed the fewest shots to score, by a decent margin. We'd need one of those fancy expected goal graphics MLS puts together to factor in the quality of his chances vs. every else, since it seems like guys like Giovinco and Villa are shooting from literally anywhere, but the numbers still go a long way to support him as a clinical finisher.

No one scores on all of their chances, but even this season BWP managed to miss a serious number of sitters. Had a streak in the first third of the season where he couldn't score his way out of a paper bag. Remember when he lined up that penalty vs KC and everybody in the stadium knew a miss was coming? Makes his recent form and the 24-goal haul even more remarkable, I guess.

He's been very consistent (on a seasonal basis, as even in his 27-goal season he had a run of games where he was cold) and one of the best in the league since joining us. We're lucky to have him, especially at his wages and with his team-first attitude. But he'll never be Henry regardless of how many goals he scores.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Watched the video of SK16's assists. Naturally many were to BWP. Some were phenomenal passes by Sacha, but BWP did well on a few to get the ball and keep it. Just great stuff from both guys.

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Apparently BWP's stats this year triggered a contract extension, so he's got a chance if he can stay in this form to go after some MLS milestones before he's done.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he deserves all he can get. hey, maybe he'll be the first $1m+ player on the squad since...TH?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users