• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
Was this article commissioned by Thelwell and Struber? LMAO! https://www.google.c...ut-more-promise

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Was this article commissioned by Thelwell and Struber? LMAO! https://www.google.c...ut-more-promise

Ben Cork has been on something of a social media rampage lately trying to make fans feel silly for being unhappy with the state of the team because 1) the new guys are at least trying something compared to Hamlett and 2) sometimes rebuilds take several years.

Personally I think that's setting the bar just above rock bottom. Fans should be asking whether we're headed in the right direction instead of being content we're headed in any direction at all.

Ali Curtis rebuilt the entire organization and won a Supporters Shield in the very same year....

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Cuz Marsch brought in 2 guys he trusted personally, his ex teammate Sacha and his former CAM10 at MTL, Felipe. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Ben Cork has been on something of a social media rampage lately trying to make fans feel silly for being unhappy with the state of the team because 1) the new guys are at least trying something compared to Hamlett and 2) sometimes rebuilds take several years.

Personally I think that's setting the bar just above rock bottom. Fans should be asking whether we're headed in the right direction instead of being content we're headed in any direction at all.

Ali Curtis rebuilt the entire organization and won a Supporters Shield in the very same year....

Im big fans of the new direction of OaM regardless of my opinions about the actual context of the content. Its a step up over the previous iteration.

Having said that Cork and his cohorts at View from 202 have hitched their wagons on the Thelwell and Struber trains. They rightfully were one of the first fans pointing out the warning signs during the Armas regime, but they are seemingly ignoring some warning signs of the current regime or ownership in general.

Im not saying they have to call for Struber or Thelwells head, but I think their opinions are being influenced by their prior proclamations and feelings on the topic. A lot of circling the wagons and excuse making going on.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Charlie Stillitano had people that would go to bat for him in the media.
Nick Sakiewicz had people that would go to bat for him in the media.
Alexi Lalas, Jeff Agoos had people that would go...Nevermind.
Erik Soler had people that would go to bat for him in the media.
Denis Hamlett had support for a while, or at least the understanding that he was not qualified for that role.

I have no problem that a small corner of media that goes to bat for Thelwell/Struber.

What I have a problem with is the way that some of the pro-Thelwell crowd (not saying this is or isn't Ben - and personally I am a fan of most of the guys writing on OaM whether I agree with some takes or not) are bashing fans for disagreeing like it's a political race, yet many of these guys/gals started following the team in the Red Bull Arena era and have yet to see a team that missed the playoffs and can't draw the parallels of this year with 1999/2009.

Then again, we only lost one match by more than one goal. Is that because the coach can't get the team motivated? That the team doesn't have a single player that makes the all-star team and nobody to carry them?
Or is it that he is taking a bunch of no name guys and keeping them competitive and building them to be unstoppable in 2023, 2024, 2025 with years of experience under their belt?
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Struber > Armas. OK. Sure.
Thelwell > Hamlett. Probably? Because a lamppost > Hamlett.

But is that really the bar we need to strive for?

2 DP slots not filled. 5M spent on a very, very average player. God knows how much spent (1-2M) on a very, very average player. A million of dead money in salaries rotting on the bench. (Or not even making the bench.) But, yeah, better than Armas and Hamlett.

Nick Sakiewicz had people that would go to bat for him in the media.

At least Sakiewicz had the balls to take a 1-on-1 interview with a critical voice. (He tried to bribe me during that interview, but still.)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Walter Tymczyna

Walter Tymczyna

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Cars, Beagles, etc...
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Holy crap! This guy was $$$ !!!

--- Red Bulls & NY Jets will win a championship after my lifetime so kill me now. ---

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we only lost one match by more than one goal.

We have lost 10, no matter by how much.
IIRC, Armas used to say that our opponents converted one more chance.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

2 DP slots not filled. 5M spent on a very, very average player. God knows how much spent (1-2M) on a very, very average player. A million of dead money in salaries rotting on the bench. (Or not even making the bench.) But, yeah, better than Armas and Hamlett.

At least Sakiewicz had the balls to take a 1-on-1 interview with a critical voice. (He tried to bribe me during that interview, but still.)

i am not against all the players that Thelwell brought in. Some of these guys were a little too green and needed some time in RB 2 to develop and build confidence.

he relied too much on Long. he has been in good health for many years and his injury was unexpected.  when Long went down, the team fell apart. 

Where he failed, is that he needed to strengthen the spine of this team with the 2 DP slots. Even if the DP was for 1 or 2 years to give the kids time to develop. We would have such a different season if he did that. 

Right now, the team is putting the kids in a tough position. its sink or swim right now for many of the youngsters. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm better with Struber than I am with Thelwell. Too many misses on the signings. And the biggest signing couldn't be a miss and it is...

I said it during the off-season when these signings were happening, but I really do wonder if they just underrated MLS.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

We have lost 10, no matter by how much.
IIRC, Armas used to say that our opponents converted one more chance.

I believe the saying was, they made one more play than we did. Eve though they may have made a lot more plays, but he was apparently referring to the final direct finish to score as that one play, making a play equivalent to a goal. So, if you lose by 3 goals, they made 3 more plays, etc... And if it is a tie, then we made identical number of plays.

Really though, why is this some kind of accomplishment to lose a lot of games by one goal? I suppose goal differential may come into picture for some tie breaker, and it's not even the first tie breaker, number of wins is. Besides, it's not just by how many goals we lose, it's inability to create chances, be dangerous in the final 3d. We need to get lucky to convert on our only good chance or two of a game and have a GK have miraculous saves to thwart away the other team's multiple chances get any points at all now days.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

While Struber is certainly making a compelling case to equal or surpass Armas' incompetence though may not be there yet (though quickly getting there), so far Thellwell has done even worse than Hamlett. At least with Hamlett we always seemed to have that #10 spot after Henry left with Sacha and Kaku. Got guys like Royer and Sims too, who were productive in final 3d. Jesse gets credit for that too, but still. It almost seems like Kevin's motto to Denis is that anything you can do, I can do worse. Hamlet screwed up with Jorgey's 2.5 mil waste, so Kevin doubles that up with Klimala.

So far, it looks like this to me: Thelwell < Hamlett < lamppost.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Curtis signed Royer, not Hamlett.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What I have a problem with is the way that some of the pro-Thelwell crowd (not saying this is or isn't Ben

It's him lol. Shit like the tweet below is straight up antagonistic and his intent on meeting Twitter's lowest common denominator at their level is pretty unbecoming to a guy who otherwise does really respectable work covering the team.

https://twitter.com/...3451797506?s=19

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

It's him lol. Shit like the tweet below is straight up antagonistic and his intent on meeting Twitter's lowest common denominator at their level is pretty unbecoming to a guy who otherwise does really respectable work covering the team.

https://twitter.com/...3451797506?s=19

It's a poor argument. Carlos Quieroz, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Bora Militunovic, Bob Bradley, Bruce Arena, Juan Carlos Osorio, etc... all had teams after them when we all agreed it was time for a change here. They all ended up doing just fine. Doesn't mean they were a good fit for our team at the time.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users