91 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So basically father time will never be defeated because you can keep moving the goalposts around to say 'X player was defeated at ____ age'. A guy could play into his 90s and you would still say father time defeated him. Lol

That's literally the point of the expression, dude. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I would think those negiot still be ongoing and wouldn't be saying that they've parted ways already

Our season ended October 10th. The announcement came on November 21st. That's a 40-day window in which the two sides were able to discuss the situation. How many days do you think it takes?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

That's literally the point of the expression, dude. 

Lol thank you, I'm dying over here.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

I don't think I've ever seen someone try to argue that Father time isn't undefeated.  

Just want to say that it's a mistake if we are fully anointing Meara as the starter.  He's not as good as Robles. We will see a dropoff at that position. I like saving money at that position when it comes to the cap because I think a lot of keepers are in the same ballpark, but if you have a keeper playing poorly, it costs you games.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
But can Father Time press?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Just want to say that it's a mistake if we are fully anointing Meara as the starter.  He's not as good as Robles. We will see a dropoff at that position. I like saving money at that position when it comes to the cap because I think a lot of keepers are in the same ballpark, but if you have a keeper playing poorly, it costs you games.

Doubt they'd sign anyone to start over Meara, though. A young replacement level guy on 100k (or less) is what I'd expect. If someone like that magically develops and pushes Meara, great, but that would just be gravy.

Hopefully what we lose in reaction saves that Robles was amazing at will be offset by improvements on crosses and distribution.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Hot take - 2019 was Robles worst season and if (big if) that's his standard going forward then I think Meara can match that.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Grelladhino submitting LAMPARDs name as evidence ?   ROFLOL 

Yeah I almost passed out reading that.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Hot take - 2019 was Robles worst season and if (big if) that's his standard going forward then I think Meara can match that.

Hope you're right.

I think there's going to be a noticeable dropoff from Robles to Meara.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

i dont care if Clint Eastwood is scoring the goals

Clints prime goal scoring days are long behind him.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Yeah I almost passed out reading that.

out of likes so LIKE

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
The father time is undefeated phrase is asinine since of course, every player will eventually grow old and retire. To make a point out of it... "look, they're old! old age wins out! father time truly is undefeated!" is meaningless. Duh, they can't play forever.

And the fact that using that phrase requires heavy goal post shifting makes it even more dumb.

Not worth arguing about it anymore though.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
All of this worrying about Father Time... But what about Mother Nature?

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

The father time is undefeated phrase is asinine since of course, every player will eventually grow old and retire. To make a point out of it... "look, they're old! old age wins out! father time truly is undefeated!" is meaningless. Duh, they can't play forever.

And the fact that using that phrase requires heavy goal post shifting makes it even more dumb.

Not worth arguing about it anymore though.

Thank you Grelladinho for shedding light on a phrase that the entire world has used for generations and has been undisputed until now. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Father Time is cruel. I can attest to that.

- Mark Fishkin (just yesterday!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users