banda roja y blanca

banda roja y blanca

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Supports:celtic, racing metro 92
hey -
i'm wondering how "metros" fans have settled with the name change, now that it's four years after the fact... do most of you guys still refer to the team as "the metros" or do you refer to them as rbny or red bulls or something along those lines?

what about when someone who doesn't follow soccer asks you what the name of the team is in NY? do you explain the whole history or just say "red bull new york"?

do people who still refer to the team as "metros" call it that because they like that name, or is it simply because they refuse to acknowledge "the corporation"?

i'm really curious about this, and would love to hear what season tickets holders have to say...

personally, i always thought "metrostars" was a really stupid name, and when i found out the whole story about metromedia it only re-affirmed it for me... i don't think red bull new york is too bad by comparison...

ps: i know the team is doing really badly this year, but i'm wondering about the name change itself, not the anger about the play on the field.
twitter.com/bandaroja

"my spelling aint up to much, but i think you'll find there IS an i in... genius."
-- karl fletcher

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

i'm really curious about this, and would love to hear what season tickets holders have to say...

hmmmm, are you thinking of buying the team? :lol:

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

banda roja y blanca

banda roja y blanca

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
you never know... ha yeah right...

but what's your answer?
twitter.com/bandaroja

"my spelling aint up to much, but i think you'll find there IS an i in... genius."
-- karl fletcher

Spliffthered

Spliffthered

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:The mighty Fuckin Metro, Brasilian hamburgers,
  • Supports:NY, Legalization,
:lol:
Dont bomb Iraq, Nuke Manchester !!!

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

but what's your answer?

I started following the team after Red Bull bought it, try to sing Red Bulls but Metro tends to come out instead. When the team is playing really well and I'm super proud of them, I sing red bull, when they don't I sing Metro. I think just "metro" sounds tons better than all the other names, but I really can't complain since I started following after :D

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

Ralph

Ralph

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Supports:FORZA METRO / LIVERPOOL FC
Techniacally, i started following AFTER the RB takeover... but I casually watched a few matches in a late 90's on MSG (they might have been replays)...so I knew about the Metros and being a New Yorker..I took pride in the local team...
Ole, Ole
Ole, Ole
FORZA METRO
Ole, Ole

Thats my favorite song

sporting87

sporting87

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Supports:RB NY
I was a season ticket holder from 1996-1999, or i guess my dad was the holder of 2 tickets. but i refer to them as the red bulls now. doesnt really matter what there called tho, theres no history to look back on. its been a revolving door of coaches, players, team colors, team names, and gms/sporting directors. Its a shame because all this does is delay the building of a competitive club. Whats even worse is that this change has been brought on by the pressure of impatient fans and misguided owners. Ever since day 1 a lot of people felt that this club was somehow pre-ordained to be the greatest in MLS, but no one was willing to be patient enough and put the time in to build it. After every year everyone would hit the panic button and come up with faulty "quick fixes" that did nothing but set the club back even further. Since when were we given the right to go into crisis everytime we dont win an MLS Cup? Were not the cosmos, were not a superclub. It happened after 96, and almost every single year after including the current one. All you hear is fire the coach, fire the FO, get a new owner, get rid of the players, every single year. People, starting from ownership all the way down to the fans, have to realize how young this leaugue/club is. In 20 years from now I want a club that I can be proud of, I dont care how long we suck for, but I want a long-term goal of building a team that will someday be competitive day in and out. Fucks sake I dont want materazzi or Figo or Henry or any of that. I want Kassel to develop and anchor our midfield for 10 years, and I would like a coach to be present for most of them.

I'm not gonna argue the fact that the decisions made by the club (ownership, FO, coach) for the past 15+ years have been embarrasing and retarted. But I wish we would have someone in this club that would put there foot down and say fuck off, i dont care what anyone thinks or says, were gonna do this my way until it fucking works, but no one wants to do that. Its easier to say we'll get rid of him and find someone better, the sad truth is the longer this club continues to think in the short term the harder it will be to ever build a club we can all later be proud of.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
The only question I have is: Did this thread begin in the Dead Horse subforum or was it moved here? :unsure:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

banda roja y blanca

banda roja y blanca

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

The only question I have is: Did this thread begin in the Dead Horse subforum or was it moved here? :unsure:

it started here... i put it here because it seems like this is where it should be.

judging from the "teams supported" thing, seems like a lot of people on the board still call it metro... i wonder if they'll still call it metro if rbny is around in 2016... of course, i suppose that's a big if.
twitter.com/bandaroja

-- karl fletcher

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC
Have we done this before? It feels like we might have...

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

banda roja y blanca

banda roja y blanca

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

if so, let me know where and i'll check that post out instead.
twitter.com/bandaroja

-- karl fletcher

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
Even talking to people who dont know shit about soccer or mls, I still say i am a Metrostars season ticket holder.. I sing Metro and i use Metro..

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

Yeah, like every thread started by, or posted to Harraby Lad. :lol:

jrzgirl

jrzgirl

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Supports:Metro/Red Bull New Jersey

Even talking to people who dont know shit about soccer or mls, I still say i am a Metrostars season ticket holder.. I sing Metro and i use Metro..

It still says Metrostars when they charge my credit card. :blink:

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts
  • Interests:I do things
  • Supports:RBNY
I'm curious what people use... person going through sexual transition or tranny?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users