• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Sure, but there were just a handful of possible scenarios to plan for.     

Agree.

Although in this case, we are talking about a Columbus home game or an Atlanta home game and there is a big difference there.  There is no excuse for not having the schedule immediately after the games tonight though.  Only a couple of different scenarios that are possible at this point.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

https://www.mlssocce...e?autoplay=true

Pretty good rundown here  about what makes this 3-3-3-1 work. At the end they start talking about Toronto. I think we can take Toronto and the Kemar/Adams wingback is as elite as anything in MLS. My worry more is the Jozy v Long situation, as Long ahs not been up to the task against elite forwards. Secondly, set pieces. Traditionally under Marsch we've been very strong at defending them, but this year we've been horrible. If that back three somehow holds up, we'll be in good shape. 

I've been saying this a lot, but this 3-3-3-1 in the midfield does not work without the yeoman's work from Davis. The dude just is the glue that makes it work in the center of the field and connects the back to the front. He's been amazing. He started off the season very poor, but his game improves week by week. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

I wonder if there ANY chance Collin could come back for the 2nd leg 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

https://www.mlssocce...e?autoplay=true

Pretty good rundown here  about what makes this 3-3-3-1 work. At the end they start talking about Toronto. I think we can take Toronto and the Kemar/Adams wingback is as elite as anything in MLS. My worry more is the Jozy v Long situation, as Long ahs not been up to the task against elite forwards. Secondly, set pieces. Traditionally under Marsch we've been very strong at defending them, but this year we've been horrible. If that back three somehow holds up, we'll be in good shape. 

I've been saying this a lot, but this 3-3-3-1 in the midfield does not work without the yeoman's work from Davis. The dude just is the glue that makes it work in the center of the field and connects the back to the front. He's been amazing. He started off the season very poor, but his game improves week by week. 

agree about Davis.  Our buildup between defense to final third would be impossible with out him honestly.  One of the more underrated players in the league.  Felipe doesnt have the range of passing Dax had to build up out of the back, so Davis helps us transition well.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Davis had a great game yesterday. You can see he is playing with confidence. Was calm with the ball, taking his space, not forcing passes, not afraid to shoot from distance. Great little pass back to Royer on his goal.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

The fear is Jozy and his strength. Long struggled with that.

We are clearly the underdog but this isn't impossible.  Giovinco is going to be something to handle but I'm hoping they play differently with him on the field.  Sometimes teammates will defer to him too much.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I honestly think that if NY stays discipline and keeps shape and covers each other well like how I saw Kemar and Murillo do at one point specifically against Accam then I think Jozy doesn't get the service he needs and NY can win... Guys have to be smart and discipline defending and know when to join the attack and not to..

This is definitely winnable match.. If they play like they did last night they will win...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I honestly think that if NY stays discipline and keeps shape and covers each other well like how I saw Kemar and Murillo do at one point specifically against Accam then I think Jozy doesn't get the service he needs and NY can win... Guys have to be smart and discipline defending and know when to join the attack and not to..

This is definitely winnable match.. If they play like they did last night they will win...

THe problem is that they really don't even need Jozy now that Giovinco is back.  I don't think Gio even played against us this year.  

THis is all going to take a monumental effort.  Gio and Jozy will cause big chances.  Perhaps we get lucky and its a game or two where the ball just won't go in for them.  Against this team we are certainly going to need some luck.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Aren't these decisions made well in advance?

LOL

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I wonder if there ANY chance Collin could come back for the 2nd leg 

Question at this point is if we'd even want him to, he's been on the sidelines for months.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Question at this point is if we'd even want him to, he's been on the sidelines for months.

Agree completely.  Not a fan at all of throwing a guy out there in a big game when he's just coming back. If our back line plays like trash at any point, then you open yourself up to the idea, but that's all.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Agree completely.  Not a fan at all of throwing a guy out there in a big game when he's just coming back. If our back line plays like trash at any point, then you open yourself up to the idea, but that's all.

Yea I wouldn't want him starting, but it wouldn't hurt to have him available to sub in to defend a lead. Would be nice to have him on set pieces.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
We have to get a shutout in this game. A single road goal for TFC and were in deep dog doo.

Im not confident that will happen. TFC is well rested, healthy and has a great attack. Defense has looked good recently, but even against Chicago we had to make a few emergency plays. One of those goes in before we went up 3 and were looking at a whole new game.

Have to get the shutout.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

We have to get a shutout in this game. A single road goal for TFC and were in deep dog doo.

Im not confident that will happen. TFC is well rested, healthy and has a great attack. Defense has looked good recently, but even against Chicago we had to make a few emergency plays. One of those goes in before we went up 3 and were looking at a whole new game.

Have to get the shutout.

Yeah, don't think that's happening at all against this team.   

Just hoping we come out 1 goal ahead or tied.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Which I get, but it's a sucky tv product when the stands are less than 50% full.

Strategically placed mikes and zoom-ins, and it's all good. :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's a reason for when the games are, it's not just MLS willfully making stupid decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users