Was this last game for Robles as #1 goalkeeper?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Robles played his last game as #1 keeper (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Robles played his last game as #1 keeper

1. yes time for Meara to take the #1 spot (8 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

2. no mid 30's goal keepers still have juice in tank (18 votes [51.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.43%

3. no wait to make decision after preseason ends to see if ichange must be made (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Robles is the last of our worries. You dont ditch a top 5 mls gk for the sake of ditching him.

It would be a defensible move if his 500k cap hit is what is preventing us from getting a difference maker outfielder. I don't think that's the case - I believe we have plenty of money, just not able to find and/or close on enough players, so preemptively getting rid of Robles seems pointless.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I think Luis should retain the #1 spot next year...unless he outright loses it in preseason due to horrible form.  But the Ironman Act should be retired. Need to start giving Meara some MLS starts during the season, in addition to USOC.  Begin the transition of Robles to Meara that should happen in 2021.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Saw interesting article where the embrace of BWP and Robles after the stunning loss to Union implied that this was last game for Robles as #1.  Also said that BWP wasn't finished as RB #1 striker but was limited this year by nagging groin injury. 

We need to stop with the groin injury excuse. BWP played like garbage before and after the injury. Father time eventually catches up with the best of us, and if BWP is on the roster next year, on any ANY contract, our GM needs to be executed. As far as Robles, he is getting there, but GKs may still be pretty good in mid 30s, and I see no reason to change Robles/Meara combo. If Robles shows decline in regular season, Meara will be the man, but Luis is starter day 1.

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

I would gauge the interest from the expansion teams. FC Cincinnati's goalkeepers were Spencer Richey and Przemysław Tytoń (try saying that 3 times fast) and they gave up 2.2 goals a game. If Nashville or Miami is willing to overpay for someone that keeps them in games they shouldn't be in, I'd let Luis go and hand the reigns over to Meara and Louro.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

prob would need to acquire a good backup, guy in his 30s. i think Louro may need another season with the reserves. at least he's learning on the job with the reserves. agreed in that NASH would want to avoid Cincy's showing from this yr, they may be willing to hand over valuable assets/$$ for him. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Didnt Dino Zoff win a World Cup with Italy when he was 40?

Also, look at the ageless Gianluigi Buffon. He is 40 and still on Juve.

Goalie is one of those positions where you can play well into your 30s and still be good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users