204 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Also why a lot of current NYC fans never became RB fans..

Really depends where you're coming from, public transportation for me to get to Yankee stadium is over 2 hours one way. A 4+ hour round trip on public transportation is not something I'm interested in doing and the alternative is a miserable ride in traffic with overpriced parking options just to sit in the upper deck of a stadium with a shit view. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do that. If we are talking only 30-60 mins each way that's a completely different story.

I'll go if we play them in the playoffs but other then that I'm done going there. Doesn't seem like we gotta worry about ever playing there for open cup since they declined to host anyway.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Really depends where you're coming from, public transportation for me to get to Yankee stadium is over 2 hours one way. A 4+ hour round trip on public transportation is not something I'm interested in doing and the alternative is a miserable ride in traffic with overpriced parking options just to sit in the upper deck of a stadium with a shit view. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do that. If we are talking only 30-60 mins each way that's a completely different story.

I'll go if we play them in the playoffs but other then that I'm done going there. Doesn't seem like we gotta worry about ever playing there for open cup since they declined to host anyway.

I'm totally not blaming you, just offering some perspective on how we always give NYC fans grief for never becoming RB fans. Going from deep Bronx/Brooklyn/Queens/Harlem to RB Arena can easily take 2+ hours on public transportation on a weekend. You (and like you said, an increasing number of other RB fans) are not doing it for a derby game 2-3 seasons into an intense rivalry*, and again, it's perfectly understandable. Imagine having to do it 10+ times a year for a regular season game against a random team. Even  with great sight lines, it's not exactly a mouth-watering proposition.

* "rivalry" may not be a factual statement

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

I'm totally not blaming you, just offering some perspective on how we always give NYC fans grief for never becoming RB fans. Going from deep Bronx/Brooklyn/Queens/Harlem to RB Arena can easily take 2+ hours on public transportation on a weekend. You (and like you said, an increasing number of other RB fans) are not doing it for a derby game 2-3 seasons into an intense rivalry*, and again, it's perfectly understandable. Imagine having to do it 10+ times a year for a regular season game against a random team. Even  with great sight lines, it's not exactly a mouth-watering proposition.

* "rivalry" may not be a factual statement

Yup I don't blame anyone who would have to make that long of a commute. I only blame the ones who are closer and never bothered and there's still tons of them around too. NYCFC's attendance every season so far has kept dropping too even though they have done fairly well on the field for an expansion team. So the newness has worn off there for their fans as well or people just absolutely hate going there for games.

We are getting into beat the dead horse range but look at all the Portuguese who live a short walk away from one of the best arenas in the country and can't even be bothered to walk across the bridge in their backyard to see a game for 20 bucks. They could support whatever Portuguese club team and the red bulls. It's pathetic that we can't tap into that market.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Doesn't seem like we gotta worry about ever playing there for open cup since they declined to host anyway.

Probably has more to do with stadium availability. If the field was scheduled for home games on both weekends, they might apply for a midweek cup match.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Yup I don't blame anyone who would have to make that long of a commute. I only blame the ones who are closer and never bothered and there's still tons of them around too. NYCFC's attendance every season so far has kept dropping too even though they have done fairly well on the field for an expansion team. So the newness has worn off there for their fans as well or people just absolutely hate going there for games.

Agreed, and it certainly doesn't excuse many of them for being insufferable dickheads in any case.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

it certainly doesn't excuse many of them for being insufferable dickheads

Hipster arrogance. Bad enough that old-school Knickerbockers find NJ a backwater unworthy of their attention and deserving of mockery and scorn. When newbies adopt that snooty persona, it is even worse.
That was the one thing I did not like about Bourdain. He railed against the Bridge & Tunnel crowd, but was raised in Leonia!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

also possible that there are fans of our team who live east of the hudson and only go to the game at YS. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

also possible that there are fans of our team who live east of the hudson and only go to the game at YS. 

Odd. Someone would only go to YS once or twice annually, and never take the extra PATH ride to Harrison?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

https://www.instagra...?taken-by=nycfc

Cringe

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Cringe

It's so perfect that their trash bag fans loved to be called the pigeons, a horrible gross bird that adds nothing to the world and are loved by another lowlife from NYC, Mike Tyson. I can't stand their team or their fan base.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Cringe

Barf

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Odd. Someone would only go to YS once or twice annually, and never take the extra PATH ride to Harrison?

From where I grew up (almost literally on the NY/CT border,) it takes about 20 minutes to drive to Yankee Stadium (sometimes even less) and its 30-40 minutes by train (depending on if you catch the one that goes straight to the stadium.) 

To RBA it's more like an hour by car (in good traffic,) and I've never done the PATH train, but it looks like you need two different subway lines just to get to the PATH from Grand Central etc.  It's probably a good 1:45-2:00 one way.  It's at least triple the travel time, or more.  

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

know an expat Liverpool supporter who lives in the UWS, been to RBA maybe once, but has been to every game vs them at Yankee Stadium. if he does that, he wouldn't be the only one.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
For as long as it might take to get home from YS at least youre not waiting an hour or so to actually hop on a PATH train

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I've never done the PATH train, but it looks like you need two different subway lines just to get to the PATH from Grand Central

Nonsense. You can take the 4 or 5 (Lexington Avenue Express) to Fulton St. station, which takes 20 minutes, then walk a couple of short blocks to WTC & take the PATH direct to Harrison, another 20 minutes.
45 minutes total, if you make the connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users