122 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Yeah but... why is Magee even in the conversation?

Boyd is an unknown. The only games he's played in 2 years are with Liepzig's reserve team in the 4th division. How much cap room does he take up? Is that the best use of our limited minutes at striker? 

He's better than Allen. He was a top youth player (he was in the Dortmund system, I think) and he was playing really well before the injury. He's an affordable player that we'll get on loan and is a legitimate candidate to replace, the over 30, BWP in a few years (or less). Allen has so many questions marks.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we don't know if he's affordable. and i sure don't want to pay a transfer fee for Boyd over 250k.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

He's better than Allen.

How do you know? He hasn't played a real match 2 years. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. 

He was a top youth player (he was in the Dortmund system, I think) and he was playing really well before the injury.

Yes, in 2012 there was a lot of Boyd hype. I wish him nothing but success, but he's now an unknown quantity. 

He's an affordable player

Do you know this for sure? Do you have any evidence to support this claim? How much you think we'll pay him? 

legitimate candidate to replace, the over 30, BWP in a few years (or less).

Maybe? Maybe he's a potential replacement for BWP, but maybe not

Allen has so many questions marks.

Like what? How he'll perform in MLS? Sure! We def don't know that yet. But he's not coming back from any major injuries, we know he doesn't need to adjust to the area, organization, teammates, etc and we know exactly how much to pay him. 

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

at the very least, Boyd wouldn't need to adjust to our "style," as we've co-opted it from Leipzig

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Boyd would be affordable in the sense that he'd be a loan. We wouldn't be on the hook for his salary for more than one season and then we could make a decision on him. He's going to get TAM or DP money, but it's not a long term commitment.

And I think he's better than Allen because he was probably 2 times better than Allen before the injury.  So even if he is only half good as he was, he'd be better.

I like Allen and I'm ok with giving him a shot.  But he got A LOT of time on the ball on some of his goals.  I don't think the defensive pressure in USL is anywhere close to what he'll see in MLS.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

Ugh, DP $$$. Fucking A. 

To me, that's a waste.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

DP money for Terrence Boyd is a waste?  Damn, I just think a lot of him.  Factoring in age and everything, thought it was a given he's DP.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Ugh, DP $$$. Fucking A. 

To me, that's a waste.

It's a waste if we were going to get another DP.  We probably weren't.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Would like to get him here, if the cost makes sense. He is a pure target forward and gives us a very different option than BWP. That can be helpful, if playing alone up top or even alongside BWP. Injuries have robbed him of some important years of his career, would love to see him get back on track here.

Can't compare this guy to Allen, Boyd was in the national team pool and was targeted by big spending Leipzig in their quick run to the Bundesliga. That's a talent level way above Allen. Who knows where he is at though considering his injuries and that's a major question mark. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Interested but price dependent. Pre injury guy was USMNT level player - uhh that's kinda good. Worth negotiating over. Hard to see how we work our formation but who knows

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

DP money for Terrence Boyd is a waste?  Damn, I just think a lot of him.  Factoring in age and everything, thought it was a given he's DP.

He has played zero games at a level above the German fourth division since 2014 and he had one, arguably two good seasons in the Austrian Bundesliga.  Under no circumstances should Boyd be a DP.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
Hypothetically, if Boyd does come here and performs at a high level, does anyone think it's realistic that he would stay here long term? I would think he would head back to Germany.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hypothetically, if Boyd does come here and performs at a high level, does anyone think it's realistic that he would stay here long term? I would think he would head back to Germany.

Long line of forwards ahead of him at Leipzig. Werner is probably a future German NT forward and David Selke is a German u-23 national teamer. Plus they are definitely more than willing to open up the check book and spend big. Just my speculation but I'd think they'd see what they can get for him and move him on for the best offer. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

If he costs more than 200k, I'm gonna be heated. 

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

They are sitting on tons of cash who cares how much he gets paid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users