• 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

against KC i would do the following:

-----veron---gulbrandson

royer---------------------------muyl

-----------davis---adams

bilyeu---perinelle--long-----lade

--------------robles

Both Veron and Gulbrandson probably feel they should be starting, and both at forward.  Give them both a chance to show what they've got.  

The 4-2-2-2 has been a disaster for us each time we've used it, but that's mostly due to playing sacha out of position on the wing instead of the middle.  

Muyl's game came on after the switch to the 4-2-3-1.  I might go Davis & Royer as the CAMs and Felipe (cause, come on he's not sitting sitting out) & Adams as the two deep midfielders.  If we need to switch formations, bring Muyl on for Veron or Gulbrandsen, slide Royer wide and Davis central in the second half.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

No thanks to the 4-2-2-2 under any circumstance. And I don't even think it's just Sacha and BWP at this point who are better in it.  I think the entire team is better in it.  I think it's more reasonable on the outside backs who don't have to cover the entire freaking field, I think it's more reasonable on the two 6's who are more comfortable with the passing lanes, and I think it's better for the front 4 because they don't end up as congested as they do every single time we try the 4-2-2-2.  

Anyway, at practice yesterday Marsch did say that the team would use "Some Rotation."

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

No thanks to the 4-2-2-2 under any circumstance. And I don't even think it's just Sacha and BWP at this point who are better in it.  I think the entire team is better in it.  I think it's more reasonable on the outside backs who don't have to cover the entire freaking field, I think it's more reasonable on the two 6's who are more comfortable with the passing lanes, and I think it's better for the front 4 because they don't end up as congested as they do every single time we try the 4-2-2-2.  

Anyway, at practice yesterday Marsch did say that the team would use "Some Rotation."

Sooo you like the idea of going into the playoffs with the 4-2-3-1 as our only option?  I agree BWP and old man Sacha do not work in the in the 4-2-2-2, but why not roll it out with two younger forwards and a younger CAM?  If either BWP or Sacha play, yea, go 4-2-3-1.  But if both get a break, I wouldn't mind seeing what some of the other players can do in the 4-2-2-2, at least for 15-20 mins.

The luxury of MLS is that you can try shit in the regular season and it won't blow up your season.  I wouldn't make this suggestion for a home game or a game against United or City, but a midweek game on the road against a good team - I say try something.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Sooo you like the idea of going into the playoffs with the 4-2-3-1 as our only option?  I agree BWP and old man Sacha do not work in the in the 4-2-2-2, but why not roll it out with two younger forwards and a younger CAM?  If either BWP or Sacha play, yea, go 4-2-3-1.  But if both get a break, I wouldn't mind seeing what some of the other players can do in the 4-2-2-2, at least for 15-20 mins.

The luxury of MLS is that you can try shit in the regular season and it won't blow up your season.  I wouldn't make this suggestion for a home game or a game against United or City, but a midweek game on the road against a good team - I say try something.

Because Jesse will never take BWP or Sacha off the field in the playoffs

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yep.

I think our failure in the playoffs just comes down to chance.  So much of soccer is chance, and that's the reason so many garbage teams win these playoff scenarios.  It's not like NHL or NBA where you get the best of 7 and the fluke chances diminish.

But I've just seen too many teams get to the finals, (or win it) and then not even make the playoffs the next season with basically the same team.  Portland is the best example.  They won it all after BARELY sneaking into the playoffs, then didn't even make the playoffs the following year.

You just have to keep making it, and then hope your best players are playing at their best and finishing.  FIrst year Columbus was better than us, we lost.  Last year we were the better team but still lost. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Because Jesse will never take BWP or Sacha off the field in the playoffs

True, but there's Open Cup and injuries. Also, the fact the team will almost never take the field without either Sacha or BWP to me means you can try anything when that actually happens.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

agree to try new players and formation in a throw away game.  Maybe they learn something about players formations that prove valuable on the quest for a CUP - MLS or US OPEN.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Yep.

I think our failure in the playoffs just comes down to chance.  So much of soccer is chance, and that's the reason so many garbage teams win these playoff scenarios.  It's not like NHL or NBA where you get the best of 7 and the fluke chances diminish.

But I've just seen too many teams get to the finals, (or win it) and then not even make the playoffs the next season with basically the same team.  Portland is the best example.  They won it all after BARELY sneaking into the playoffs, then didn't even make the playoffs the following year.

You just have to keep making it, and then hope your best players are playing at their best and finishing.  FIrst year Columbus was better than us, we lost.  Last year we were the better team but still lost. 

I think it's unfair to classify Montreal's victory as lucky.

Sure yea, maybe we get lucky and win one year, but we do ourselves no favors by going into each post season a one trick pony. Columbus & Montreal came into those series with the goal of not getting beat by the press AND shutting down Sacha & BWP. And both did both. I'm sure it will be better this season now that Sacha & BWP are a year older.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think it's unfair to classify Montreal's victory as lucky.

Sure yea, maybe we get lucky and win one year, but we do ourselves no favors by going into each post season a one trick pony. Columbus & Montreal came into those series with the goal of not getting beat by the press AND shutting down Sacha & BWP. And both did both. I'm sure it will be better this season now that Sacha & BWP are a year older.

Every team comes into games with those same goals.  To simplify it to that extent is just wrong.

Montreal's win wasn't entirely lucky, but we were the better team. That's the point I made. Portland was not the best team two years ago, Seattle was not the best team in the league last year.  It just so happens that they caught fire at the right time and they won. 

BWP and Sacha had their chances to finish last year and didn't do it. If we are going to win, they have to finish their chances. Formation doesn't matter in this instance.  Especially when it's proven that we play like absolute trash in the 4-2-2-2. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Every team comes into games with those same goals.  To simplify it to that extent is just wrong.

In the playoffs, when we lose, all teams come into games with those goals. But Columbus played out of the back a lot more, bunkered a lot less this last game than they did in the playoff series. I think teams, except maybe Marsch's, approach regular season games differently than playoffs games.

Montreal's win wasn't entirely lucky, but we were the better team. That's the point I made. Portland was not the best team two years ago, Seattle was not the best team in the league last year.  It just so happens that they caught fire at the right time and they won.

Portland and Seattle were both lucky to not be eliminated by SKC in the play-in games in 2016 & 2017. And if we had lost a game like Toronto did against Seattle where Seattle had no shots on goal I would agree. But we lost to two teams that STOPPED us. We might have been the better team across the entire season in 2016, but Montreal was the better team across the two playoff games.

BWP and Sacha had their chances to finish last year and didn't do it. If we are going to win, they have to finish their chances. Formation doesn't matter in this instance.  Especially when it's proven that we play like absolute trash in the 4-2-2-2. 

We've proven we're trash in the 4-2-2-2 with Veron & Gulbradsen & Davis playing over BWP & Etienne/Grella & Sacha? Yes, BWP & Sacha can only play in a single formation. That does not mean these other, YOUNGER, FASTER guys aren't more flexible.

Will it work? I don't know, I would not bet money on it. But we aren't likely to play many games without Sacha & BWP, so if (big if) they do both rest on Wednesday I'd like to see them try a new look.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

-----veron---gulbrandson

royer---------------------------muyl

-----------davis---adams

Now is the time to try this.

The average age for this front 6 is like 23.  Veron is best as 2nd striker.  Gulbrandsen is used to 4triple2 from Austria.

Veron 26

Gulbradsen 24

Royer 26

Muyl 21

Davis 24

Adams 18

Ettienne 20 off the bench

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Am i missing something here? Why is everybody putting this SKC game as a throw away game? I guess I'm the only one who wants to see this team compete in a hostile environment on short rest with a team that we can possibly meet in the finals if and when we get there. Oh wells Jesse will probably do some rotation, Lawrence is definitely out. We will see who else rests.

LONG LIVE METRO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i want Jesse to go near 1st XI. obviously taxi and collin are out.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Am i missing something here? Why is everybody putting this SKC game as a throw away game? I guess I'm the only one who wants to see this team compete in a hostile environment on short rest with a team that we can possibly meet in the finals if and when we get there. Oh wells Jesse will probably do some rotation, Lawrence is definitely out. We will see who else rests.

Long season and I don't think playing some bench players is throwing away a game. I have faith in Davis and I don't mind giving Veron and Gulbrandsen minutes.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I agree, I'd like to see the normal squad. I don't think Philly will be the cakewalk many may see it as due to their place in the standings. Go down there and do what you can to get a result. That being said, I have very little optimism about this one. I'd be thrilled with a point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users