Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image

Nice opening for Houston's new stadium.  They beat DC 1-0 on a Brad Davis screamer from outside the box.  Looked like half the crowd ran for shade in the second half, though. 

Yes, all that orange is good for Houston.  Maybe the G's could paint the seats that Chivas covers up for their "home" games?
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#392 Catamount

Catamount

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Posted Image

Nice opening for Houston's new stadium.  They beat DC 1-0 on a Brad Davis screamer from outside the box.  Looked like half the crowd ran for shade in the second half, though. 

Yes, all that orange is good for Houston.  Maybe the G's could paint the seats that Chivas covers up for their "home" games?

Problem is dark blue works for both teams. If the G's were still green and gold, it would be an excellent idea.
:unsure:

#393 American Beer

American Beer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Supports:Whiskey & Pancakes

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

I got a first hand report from an English kid I know who lives in Houston.
He had been going to Robertson on and off for games and took in this first match at BBVA or whatever it's called.

He said going to Robertson seemed like a special event, or put another way, not a natural fit between the event and the venue. Going to the new park felt to him like 'going to football', a much more normal and natural thing, and more satisfying in every way.

The atmosphere was described as great, and everyone found it fitting playing DC with two longtime Dynamo players on the opposition in DeRo and Onstad.

The gameplay was also satisfying with Davis scoring the game winner on a stereotypical long ball.

The heat was intense with lots of people taking shelter in the shaded concourse. The stadium has much more shade than Robertson though. I can see this being a problem ongoing... The muggy heat is bad enough but the direct sun is just inhumane.

Anyway, the kid left feeling excited about the future of the Dynamo and with what's happening with American soccer.

(He is a Watford born kid and after he finished school married a hot Houstonian eager for a handsome kid with a British accent. After moving to Houston, he has ended up going to school there for an advanced degree and is coaching soccer on the side, so he has bought into the efforts all of us are making to see the sport grow here.)
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

Torrance Pickup Soccer @ Greenwood Park, 9:00am Saturday! Details here: https://www.facebook...yourLARiotSquad

#394 prrnrngr2.0

prrnrngr2.0

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Walked by Saputo on my way into Stade Olympique...there is no way in hell that place is ready by June. It still has plywood and exposed beams all over the place. The location also sucks. There is really nothing out there besides the stuff around the Olympic park, some random factories and what looked like low income apartments. The only plus is that there are 2 subway stops within the park.
BIGGER. STRONGER. FASTER.

#395 impatient_ingrate

impatient_ingrate

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

I got a first hand report from an English kid I know who lives in Houston.
He had been going to Robertson on and off for games and took in this first match at BBVA or whatever it's called.

He said going to Robertson seemed like a special event, or put another way, not a natural fit between the event and the venue. Going to the new park felt to him like 'going to football', a much more normal and natural thing, and more satisfying in every way.

The atmosphere was described as great, and everyone found it fitting playing DC with two longtime Dynamo players on the opposition in DeRo and Onstad.

The gameplay was also satisfying with Davis scoring the game winner on a stereotypical long ball.

The heat was intense with lots of people taking shelter in the shaded concourse. The stadium has much more shade than Robertson though. I can see this being a problem ongoing... The muggy heat is bad enough but the direct sun is just inhumane.

Anyway, the kid left feeling excited about the future of the Dynamo and with what's happening with American soccer.

(He is a Watford born kid and after he finished school married a hot Houstonian eager for a handsome kid with a British accent. After moving to Houston, he has ended up going to school there for an advanced degree and is coaching soccer on the side, so he has bought into the efforts all of us are making to see the sport grow here.)

In a hell pit like Houston, it seems like kind of a dumb move not to have the entire crowd seated underneath a roof. (Like Red Bull Arena)

#396 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

In a hell pit like Houston, it seems like kind of a dumb move not to have the entire crowd seated underneath a roof. (Like Red Bull Arena)

That's been an issue at the HDC too, more for the USWNT and the late, lamented Sol: There'd be 6,000 people in attendance, and the stadium personnel would make them all sit in the sun, because that was where they'd show up on the cameras.

As for Houston, maybe they were just thinking of evening games? I agree that it's short-sighted, in any case.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#397 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

In only their second home game at the new stadium, I saw a good number of empty seats at the Houston game yesterday.

#398 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Agreed. A full roof with a healthy overhang would make way more sense. That said, if you look at their schedule, after the first few games at the new digs, all the rest save for one are all night games. That makes more sense.

What I'm curious to see is what the pointy football team does to that joint come September.

#399 American Beer

American Beer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Supports:Whiskey & Pancakes

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

I guess we'll find out first hand soon if everyone was saving their pennies and sweat for the Galaxy or if they just don't care.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

Torrance Pickup Soccer @ Greenwood Park, 9:00am Saturday! Details here: https://www.facebook...yourLARiotSquad

#400 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Say, isn't the all-star game - which is coming up next week, yes? - when they usually make any announcements about an expansion team for next year? But I haven't heard any sort of rumors for a while now. Are there any rumblings going around?

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#401 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Chicago will be awarded with a second team and will play in Toyota Park. New team will be USA Chivas not to be confused with Chivas USA.

Let's Eat!

#402 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Revs in talks with Revere.
From the MLS site, possible stadium by 2015.

Let's Eat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users