137 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I understand cold water has already been thrown on this, but since he was with the team I always thought he'd be a great coach, if he controlled his ego. Biggest issue would be that he is a perfectionist and players would likely grow tired of that rather quickly.

Seems I was spot on. Golovin came out just yesterday and said that Henry would go crazy during practices when things weren't perfect and play "get the ball" from him. Stated he hasn't killed the player inside of him.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

I understand cold water has already been thrown on this, but since he was with the team I always thought he'd be a great coach, if he controlled his ego. Biggest issue would be that he is a perfectionist and players would likely grow tired of that rather quickly.

Seems I was spot on. Golovin came out just yesterday and said that Henry would go crazy during practices when things weren't perfect and play "get the ball" from him. Stated he hasn't killed the player inside of him.

If his Achilles weren't about to explode I'd say he could play in MLS till 40. Problem with Henry he has the "mamba mentality" which is the reason you'll probably never see Kobe become an NBA coach. I think Henry's footballing mind is too genius to not become a good coach at some point, he just needs to subside his ego enough to see success.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Shortly before being let go, Henry bought Fabregas and Bello-Toure who seem to have played a lot of games and done pretty well, coinciding with Monaco's good form since February. Whether the reason for the improvement is Henry leaving, the new players contributing or the return of Jardim (who was they coach for their terrible start in the fall) is, of course, unclear.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

If we're making room for former Metros, I'd rather Wolly get a chance than give the helm to Henry.

Absolutely correct

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Sometimes the best players just don't turn into even good coaches. Wayne Gretzky is a perfect example of that situation. He was an absolutely terrible coach.

TH did not have a stellar record from his stint in Monaco  France  , some comments --

https://en.as.com/en...683_399619.html

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I dont see how he would fit with rbnys philosophy.

He likes to play a certain style of soccer.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Zidane was a good coach, and is now just starting his 2nd stint at RM. Having some good players doesn't hurt.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

TH did not have a stellar record from his stint in Monaco  France  , some comments --

https://en.as.com/en...683_399619.html

Great players often don't know how to work with or manage the middling level players that make up the bulk of a team and league. It's one thing to demand perfection from yourself when you have transcendent talent, it's another thing to demand it from others that are just not as good.....yet still find a way to succeed.

dreadbulls

dreadbulls

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Supports:The Metro, Flower City Union

I'm glad this probably isn't happening. Rolling the dice on an unproven commodity is not what this team needs now.

Names change, owners come and go, but Metro never dies.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
I feel like bringing in Henry would be like what the USMNT did with Klinsmann.

A big name who was a great player that weve all heard of, but has a bad track record as a manager. For that reason, pass.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
No.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I doubt its happening, but I'm also not against it.   Yes, he failed miserably at Monaco, but that was probably too much too soon for him.   He's a really, really smart guy, and he's no doubt been very thoughtful about and learned from whatever he did wrong there.    He's passionate about this team.   Also, we have a very structured system to support the coaches.  Also, no doubt if he came it would be to some degree on his terms, which would almost certainly include some budget for bringing in players.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Youd assume Hamlett would give armas the benefit of a he doubt since they go way back. This seems like Austrias call

The main issue here is that other teams got better while we did nothing this offseason and lost Adams to boot.

My hope is that when Henry calls the FO asking for an upgrade to the roster help theyd listen and respect his opinion.

5 year plan

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

I doubt its happening, but I'm also not against it.   Yes, he failed miserably at Monaco, but that was probably too much too soon for him.   He's a really, really smart guy, and he's no doubt been very thoughtful about and learned from whatever he did wrong there.    He's passionate about this team.   Also, we have a very structured system to support the coaches.  Also, no doubt if he came it would be to some degree on his terms, which would almost certainly include some budget for bringing in players.

This part is what would get me excited. Who has a better chance of convincing RBG to spend more money on our team? Chris Armas or Thierry Henry? lol

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This part is what would get me excited. Who has a better chance of convincing RBG to spend more money on our team? Chris Armas or Thierry Henry? lol

There would have to be a Tata Martino element to it as well, where Titi could convince a certain caliber of player to come here who might not otherwise be so inclined

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users