ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

...is MLS not a nationwide tournament?

MLS income is significantly higher than USOC income. Also, MLS teams would be fine eating the likely losses from travel, non-MLS teams not so much.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

MLS income is significantly higher than USOC income. Also, MLS teams would be fine eating the likely losses from travel, non-MLS teams not so much.

Open it up nationally starting in the Round of 16 or quarterfinal, lower division teams are guaranteed to host if they play an MLS team.  All problems solved.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Open it up nationally starting in the Round of 16 or quarterfinal, lower division teams are guaranteed to host if they play an MLS team.  All problems solved.

Think I very much like that idea.

What happens if two lower level teams are playing each other though?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Think I very much like that idea.

What happens if two lower level teams are playing each other though?

Could prohibit it with a regulation like they did for the 4th round.  Alternatively, USSF has enough money in their coffers to cover travel expenses in that scenario that isn't likely to happen more than once or twice a year.  I prefer the first way though.  Interleague matches are the most fun part of the Open Cup, and they should be encouraged as often as possible.  It's cool that one of Louisville or Nashville will make the quarterfinal this year, but I'd rather see them both hosting MLS teams in the 5th round.

zeelimit

zeelimit

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

One of the impediments to having more national rounds is that the organizers pay the travel costs. That is the largest cost to the tournament since they only give prize money to three teams (the two finalists and the amateur team with the best finish). That being said, they probably have the money based on profits from the two national teams.

Another innovation, I would like to see is replays after tie. Most other countries only use penalty kicks if the second game is tied.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

One of the impediments to having more national rounds is that the organizers pay the travel costs. That is the largest cost to the tournament since they only give prize money to three teams (the two finalists and the amateur team with the best finish). That being said, they probably have the money based on profits from the two national teams.

Another innovation, I would like to see is replays after tie. Most other countries only use penalty kicks if the second game is tied.

Define most? I think replays are mainly an FA Cup thing, and even there they were recently scrapped at the quarterfinal stage. Most cups are one and done games, while some countries have two-legged ties (Spain comes to mind).

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

...is MLS not a nationwide tournament?

Sigh.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

All problems solved.

It is all so easy on the Internet.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,324 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i know we want the randomness of a FA Cup, but won't happen with the smaller teams in the country being what they are. prob when USL1/USL2 happens, the best of USL1, i assume, can make deep runs.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

It is all so easy on the Internet.

They have interns pick the matches from envelopes like a street magic trick. This tournament isn't that complicated. So yeah, in this case, it's extremely simple.

Your misplaced exasperation is charming though.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

They have interns pick the matches from envelopes like a street magic trick. This tournament isn't that complicated. So yeah, in this case, it's extremely simple.

Will those interns also provide low-cost short-notice cross-country flights and accommodations?

Your misplaced exasperation is charming though.

Just imagine my original thoughts about your posts.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Meara

Lade -- Parker -- Long -- Lawrence

Adams -- Davis

Valot -- Kaku -- Royer

BWP

Wouldn't mind Kutler instead of Lade, but assuming Lade will go due to fresher legs.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,324 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Gonna go on a limb here. This way, we get every best player on the field, still gonna give the Cup matches to Meara. 

BWP

Royer Kaku Valot

Davis

Taxi Ndam Parker Long Adams

Meara

Robles Collin Lade Rza Muyl Etienne Rivas

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
Jesse confirmed it's Meara in goal for the cup games.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Supports:Metro
LA vs Portland tomorrow night. Doesnt really have any effect on us, but glad Ill have nearly a full day of soccer.
Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users