then they wonder why I won't renew lol

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

If they needed "more games": to develop they could have LOANED them to some USL sides. Fucking morons.

+100.

If we were trying to turn Kassel into a CB, could we have maybe given him a year to work on it, rather than parts of 3 games in spring training before calling the experiment a failure? And, btw, how many of those in our midfield (Rafa, Teemu, Victor, etc) are going to be here in 1-2 years? Today's kids are tomorrow's depth. Something Kinnear knows, and we constantly ignore to our peril.

We are a strange fanbase, we (the royal we) don't think twice about the suggestion to toss the captain of the Mexican National team asisde, yet break down at the thought of Matt Kassel getting cut.

Professional sports is brutal and not a job for the soft hearted. Hate to see them go because I hoped that they would turn into winners, but if they are not going to get playing time here it is better for their careers to go where they can get it.

Well, let's not forget that the captain of the national team played well enough in his first few months in 2010, then was a $ 4.5m nightmare last year, from playing Stephen Keel into the lineup to getting suspended in the playoffs. Keeping Kassel with no cap or salary hit vs. having a $ 4.5 nightmare are your team isn't apples to apples. If Rafa earns his check this year, fine. If 2012 looks like 2011 for him, we're (in the regal sense) royally fucked.

If they are gone it is because we are finding better replacements.

Again, the triumph of hope over experience. I too wish this to be the case, but...are Dax Stache & Rost's empty locker really worth the DeRo, Da Luz, etc we traded away for 'better replacements'? I'll light a candle with you for this to turn into reality, but, I somehow doubt it.

I give Soler & Backe credit, almost all of their moves this off-season have seemed to be really good ones (as long as Conde turns out to be healthy this year, still an unknown). Hot leaving, fine, fair enough. Kassel though, I think will turn out to be a mistake. Maybe not a huge one, but, if he ends up being the next Brad Davis or something, that $ 35k in allocation money we spent on paying down Roy Miller's salary or whatever is going to look like pants.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

then they wonder why I won't renew lol

Really? This is why? weaksauce...

Not every young, local product is cut out to be a starter. What MLS team do you coach? Maybe you can sign them.

jroke

jroke

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:anyone BUT redbull

Really? This is why? weaksauce...

Not every young, local product is cut out to be a starter. What MLS team do you coach? Maybe you can sign them.

no not just because of this..... alot of things they've done since they've been here are stupid... Remember, these are the same two assholes who STILL won't admit they were a better team with de-ro

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Including prospects from the academy systems of some of the world's biggest clubs.

The Red Bulls are stuck with the same predicament that every MLS team trying to stock their roster with proven veteran players face, if we create just a good prospect that player likely won't be able to get playing time, if we create a prospect that is a top level talent we probably won't be able to keep him.

I think the problem is due to many factors:

• The academy system is relatively new in comparison to other soccer countries. To start with, the odds are very low for players to make it professionally. Add the fact that we do not have a large pool of players to choose from, and that they start at a very late age (it is common to join a club system at 12-13 years old). Situations like this one will be the norm rather than the rule for a long time.
  • None existent participation in lower division competition or lack of 'development' division. Many people on these boards complain about the fact that young players are not given the chance to play and gain experience. But every where else in the world this takes place in the secondary division. The Reams that start in their rookie seasons are the anomaly!
  • A salary cap. The way it is instituted right now, teams cannot really afford to carry developmental players as part of the first team squad. Remember that in most other countries, clubs have complete rosters for the second and lower divisions in which they participate.
Ultimately, the academy system is really the way to go. There will be pains for the institutions and the players, but it is a system that is established and that works. It is not the ultimate answer though, since clubs still have to go outside their farms to get better players that their academies do not produce.

Cheers

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Well, Kassel surprises me, but Hot lost his CB back up role to Alvarez and Kassel, so I think the writing was on the wall there.

We want to like him because he was homegrown, but he wasn't making inroads, so why fool ourselves.

With regards to Kassel, he was odd man out in the overcrowded central mid. What I mistook as building depth by having him play in Mexico at CB was, I guess in 20-20 hindsight, his last shot to find a spot where he could be useful.

We are a strange fanbase, we (the royal we) don't think twice about the suggestion to toss the captain of the Mexican National team asisde, yet break down at the thought of Matt Kassel getting cut.

Professional sports is brutal and not a job for the soft hearted. Hate to see them go because I hoped that they would turn into winners, but if they are not going to get playing time here it is better for their careers to go where they can get it.

If they are gone it is because we are finding better replacements.

VOR, I and many others aren't upset about the losses of Kassel and Hot in itself. It's that we've watched this team trade away/cut so many young players and virtually all of our draft picks because "the academy is the way to go." And then the hyped up Academy players get cut a year after joining the team. I agree that if Kassel and Hot aren't good enough then cutting them was the right choice. But if that's the case then the whole "disregard draft picks, acquire Academy players" philosophy that Hans and Soler have shoved down our throat is clearly a failing plan.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
Dumb decision if ya ask me.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

VOR, I and many others aren't upset about the losses of Kassel and Hot in itself. It's that we've watched this team trade away/cut so many young players and virtually all of our draft picks because "the academy is the way to go." And then the hyped up Academy players get cut a year after joining the team. I agree that if Kassel and Hot aren't good enough then cutting them was the right choice. But if that's the case then the whole "disregard draft picks, acquire Academy players" philosophy that Hans and Soler have shoved down our throat is clearly a failing plan.

Their gameplan is not "disregard draft picks, acquire academy players", its "disregard draft picks, acquire seasoned professionals".

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
Not impressed. Matt Kassel was particularly highly rated (or so I was told) and its sad to see local prospects not make it (hopefully it's not "make it" yet)

But then again, we've should of seen this coming, there was nothing last year to suggest Backe/Soler ever rated them.

Hard to tell what the rest of the academy prospects would make of this (unless they are of the pedigree of Juan Agudelo). Take the college option at 18, not NYRB? Or, stay the full 4 years at college instead of leaving early and joining NYRB?

I'd also be concern if these 2 cuts were motivated by an extra tight cap space. Who's next for the chop to free cap space to achieve short times goals?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Their gameplan is not "disregard draft picks, acquire academy players", its "disregard draft picks, acquire seasoned professionals".

That's what I think as well.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
Well it could be worse......we could of cut these guys cause we needed the cap space to trade for Eddie Johnson from the Impact :lol: <_<

head_hunter

head_hunter

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, RBNY, Everton FC
Kassel to DC, Hot to Revs
Henry is the bestest

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Hard to tell what the rest of the academy prospects would make of this (unless they are of the pedigree of Juan Agudelo). Take the college option at 18, not NYRB? Or, stay the full 4 years at college instead of leaving early and joining NYRB?

I think it hurts the development of American players that so many go to college instead of working their way up to the professional level at a younger age. NCAA doesn't develop players like an academy system and when the players get out of college, they've already lost some prime training years in the process. Maybe Kassel would have stood a better chance if he had stuck with RBNY instead of going to college for three years.

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And, btw, how many of those in our midfield (Rafa, Teemu, Victor, etc) are going to be here in 1-2 years?

Everyone seems to look right past the real plan the brass has for this club...we're just going to churn through the Nordic leagues and national player pools every off-season, pluck the top players available on a free transfer, and cross our fingers and pray that most of them pan out.

If that doesn't work, Soler will send more champagne and whores to Uncle Dietrich's suite or whatever similar ploy he pulls to keep himself in power until the next offseason, when he'll try again. He'll keep the wolves at bay by drafting/signing a couple token young Americans each season, eventually trading them for more international slots to maintain the constant flow from Europe.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
We hear the same pissing and moaning with all the young guys who don't make it... but where are Chinn and Garcia and Da Luz and all the rest of them today? What other managers in the league are pouncing on them and developing them into the next superstar? We still have Juan and Georgi and Lade and Meara and Barrajo, and whatever no-name reserves we are keeping an eye on.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users