152 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I just rarely have the time to go somewhere outside the cathedral beforehand.

Bullshit, you made a value choice. You elected to forgo eating out or at home before going to the game and elected to take your chances with overpriced stadium food and the hassle that goes with it.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If only 15,000 people in the New York area care about the RedBulls

Then they're not likely to be the Red Bulls for very much longer, at least not with a payroll north of $10m and multiple DPs.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Then they're not likely to be the Red Bulls for very much longer, at least not with a payroll north of $10m and multiple DPs.

Quoted for emphasis.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

I got my Stiegl in under 4 minutes. The guy was a little slow because many of the beers were not listed on the kiosk.

Overall, i get concessions are a sore spot for a lot of fans. But i just don't get why the fuck these people dont eat before the game (much better food quality and healthy and cheaper) instead of spending $50 on stadium crap food and gettig frustrated at the service. Its not a fucking restuarant, its a stadium which is barely a step up over a movie theatre.

Plently of beer trucks in the stadium with little or no waits at all if some suds are what you want.

Eh.

I completely agree with you. I brought a first-timer on Sunday and told him about how terrible the concessions can be, I was only looking for a beer before the match. I basically the same thing that you said about eating outside the stadium. I don't understand why people wouldn't eat in the Ironbound before the game. The food is incredible. Granted I'm Portuguese and can't find any Portuguese food in Brooklyn, so I go nuts when in Newark, but still it really boggles my mind. Granted the same thing happens at Citi Field with people waiting in enormous lines for Shake Shack or the Mexican Stand in center field, so I really shouldn't be all that surprised.

The only thing I've ever eaten at RBA was food from the the Portuguese/Brazilian grill outside the stadium. And they're not run by Delaware North, so that probably explains why they are miles ahead in terms of efficiency. Speaking of which, I didn't see that outside the stadium on Sunday? Are they not coming back this year? (Heck strikes again?)

chunas

chunas

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls
What happen to the lunch trucks outside the arena taco truck and other ones?
what just happen!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Bullshit, you made a value choice. You elected to forgo eating out or at home before going to the game and elected to take your chances with overpriced stadium food and the hassle that goes with it.

Bullshit? What an arrogant douche. No, see, as a father with kids and a grown-up job and house and a yard and volunteer shit and lots of other responsibilities I am guessing you know little about, I run around like a motherfucker all week and weekend taking care of shit, and rally to get to the game on time (and I go to just about every single home game, +3 minimum, including USOC). If the game happens to be at meal time, that's where I am eating. An extra $100 bucks or whatever it is for me and my family and friends at the game is less than my time is worth. I don't mind waiting in line, talking to other supporters (so long as I don't miss any game minutes). I go to Ironbound often, and enjoy it with friends for a night out. I don't have time for that and a game in the same day.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

I dont agree with you. I think if you going to offer something it should be done in an acceptable manner. Sure Ive been to many a sporting event where food took just alittle too long to get, but at the same time we shouldnt just throw our hands up and accept that to be the "norm". Not when people can clearly see that things like staff training and crowd control can cut time down. Theres no reason ANY stadium thats half full should have problems with its concessions stands. Afterall it is a key revenue stream for the club and by not making it as smooth and efficient as possible you are leaving thousands, if not millions of dollars on the table every year because of bad management.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

I dont agree with you. I think if you going to offer something it should be done in an acceptable manner. Sure Ive been to many a sporting event where food took just alittle too long to get, but at the same time we shouldnt just throw our hands up and accept that to be the "norm". Not when people can clearly see that things like staff training and crowd control can cut time down. Theres no reason ANY stadium thats half full should have problems with its concessions stands. Afterall it is a key revenue stream for the club and by not making it as smooth and efficient as possible you are leaving thousands, if not millions of dollars on the table every year because of bad management.

+1

At this point Delaware North has to be called to the table for the training that they give their workers. It has become a self-fulfilling prophesy for Red Bull. The real fans of the game come to the stadium and put up with the crap service we see from Delaware North. The less rabid fan of the game is there for the experience - if the experience is not superb they are likely not to come back. I know of someone who tried to get to the stadium with tickets, and abandoned his mission and went home because of the traffic situation a couple of years ago. I have been bringing my kid to the games for the past 9 years. When he was younger it was a little bit of the game and a lot of the concessions, etc. that had him interested. That has changed now. I ask myself the question - were I not a fan would he have an interest in going to the game these days?

They need to grow the game by providing a great experience for the fans, some of those see concessions as a large part of that experience. Of course having a winning team will always be the #1 draw!

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

+1

At this point Delaware North has to be called to the table for the training that they give their workers. It has become a self-fulfilling prophesy for Red Bull. The real fans of the game come to the stadium and put up with the crap service we see from Delaware North. The less rabid fan of the game is there for the experience - if the experience is not superb they are likely not to come back. I know of someone who tried to get to the stadium with tickets, and abandoned his mission and went home because of the traffic situation a couple of years ago. I have been bringing my kid to the games for the past 9 years. When he was younger it was a little bit of the game and a lot of the concessions, etc. that had him interested. That has changed now. I ask myself the question - were I not a fan would he have an interest in going to the game these days?

They need to grow the game by providing a great experience for the fans, some of those see concessions as a large part of that experience. Of course having a winning team will always be the #1 draw!

I think it' the quality of staff rather than Delaware North. It seems to be the people that they employ can not do their jobs. Maybe the only fault they have is lack of proper training.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think it' the quality of staff rather than Delaware North. It seems to be the people that they employ can not do their jobs. Maybe the only fault they have is lack of proper training.

I realize it must be difficult when you only have maybe 20 days of employment, and just a few hours each day, so I don't know how much investment you can make in training each employee. Do you do pay someone for 8 hours of training, plus the trainers, for 80 hours of work? 10% of wages spent on training doesn't seem unreasonable. Plus, they probably see 20% of the staff replaced each game, which doesnt help. But that's the nature of the business and Delaware North needs to find a way to manage it much better.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos
Honestly, other than a few instances when they had technical problems with the card swipers and software I have never ever had a problem with consessions or beer. Sometimes the line is long, you get that anyplace you go. I was in Frisco for FC Dallas - Metro a couple weeks ago and the lines there kinds sucked too.

The major issue to me is that one entire side of the stadium has to go towards the endlines to get anything and those are where the worst lines seem to form. Upperdeck has its own concession stands and they seem to be relatively easy to manage. And the TV sie has an entire concourse of concessions which I find are easier to get in and out of except of course at halftime when the entire stadium is up and about.

Listen, putting aside the economic and business side of things for the franchise, just grab some food before you go to the game and save yourself the aggrivation if getting good quick service is such an importnat issue to you. Its a fucking stadium, there will be lines and waits and you will spend double on things with lower levels of satisfaction. Fucking deal with it..
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
There's a disproportionate amount of concessions on the sidelines vs the endlines. Truth is there should be more staff / vendors in the busiest part of the stadium

As for the baseball argument of food, it simply doesn't work. Baseball games are generally twice as long as soccer matches. Therefore, must people do eat something at a baseball game. With soccer, the game experience is significantly shorter. People could wait to eat or stop for food on the way home. But... I suppose the convenience of they are already there, might as well do things at once is the reason why this occurs.

In football, baseball, basketball, and even hockey there are so many breaks in action that concessions see a more steady flow of people. In soccer, there are no breaks except at halftime. So you are staffing your stadium for a big rush before the game and a massive 15 minute rush in the middle. Personally, I don't think these companies have fully figured out how to appropriately handle this occurence.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT

In football, baseball, basketball, and even hockey there are so many breaks in action that concessions see a more steady flow of people. In soccer, there are no breaks except at halftime. So you are staffing your stadium for a big rush before the game and a massive 15 minute rush in the middle. Personally, I don't think these companies have fully figured out how to appropriately handle this occurence.

This.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

If only 15,000 people in the New York area care about the RedBulls, so be it. I go because I like it, not to be popular.

I have to agree to a certain extent.

On Sunday it was easier to get food at RBA than El Pastor. FACT.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

-DELETED-

-DELETED-

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York
Just heard a new radio spot for Saturday's game on ESPN 1050.

Good news, I was afraid the marketing campaign might just be for the opener.

Again it won't produce huge initial results at the gate but is a vital element in increasing RBNY awareness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users