14 replies to this topic

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Probably just a pipe dream but i wonder if RB is planning to sell in a few years. If you think realistically, the best time to sell would probably be around 2025. Just before we host the World Cup, the construction around RBA will probably be done, the smurfs will probably be opening a stadium, and MLS will most likely be done with expansion. The value of this franchise would be at an all time high for an investor/buyer.I legit can't think of any other reason why RB has been giving this club such a half assed, cheap, only buy/play young player, invest in the academy/coaches approach they have been taking the last 5 years or so.

We can only hope....

When they had Adams and BWP and Robles is when they should have broke the bank and got DPs on Vela and Zlatan level to finally win a cup...

Now they want to play small ball with the roster and use a style of play that benefits younger players because younger unkown players are cheaper...

This squad can't even shoot outside of the box... They need a attacking Mid that is a proven scorer and a chalk striker.. Even if it means breaking the bank...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

This squad can't even shoot outside of the box... They need a attacking Mid that is a proven scorer and a chalk striker.. Even if it means breaking the bank...

I commented on this after this last match. Every shot taken from around the 18 is horribly wide or over the bar. My U14 daughters team is much better at getting shots from distance on frame.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

I commented on this after this last match. Every shot taken from around the 18 is horribly wide or over the bar. My U14 daughters team is much better at getting shots from distance on frame.

I'm just saying put it left or right of the keeper and make him have to move his feet...

But really when Metro had a great core team the ownership should have double down to get a title...

Now they are having a glaring need and I do not feel confident they will step up

They should step up because if they don't they're almost sabotage their manager that they handpicked
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We have plenty of goals from outside the box this year. Morgan, Morgan, Ngoma, Yearwood, Fernandez, just off the top of my head. Outside the box is not the problem. Getting inside the box and doing something positive there is.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Outside the box shots are always going to be incredibly low percentage, less than 20 percent.  If you are depending heavily on outside the box shooting to score, then you have much greater offensive problems.  Also, Morgan is probably the best distance shooter this team has had since Thierry Henry.  

The much bigger problem is that they score almost no goals from good shooting positions inside the box. When they did generate those sorts of chances earlier in the season and last season, Barlow and Klimala missed them at astounding rates.  Now they struggle to even generate those chances.  

https://www.research... shows that 31 (21.38%25),originated%20from%20the%20penalty%20box.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I said this, if the name of the game was who can shoot the ball high or wide of goal the most, we'd be league champs. It's not professional level quality. Get the damn ball down on net!

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Fans asking why their team doesn't shoot more from outside the box is just about the purest sign that their attack is struggling, because it means that players are spending basically zero time inside the box with the ball.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
You need to take shots (and score some) from long range to open up passing lanes inside the box. Weve scored from deep enough this year that guys like Morgan & Luq are threats from distance. Our issues are inside the 18, whether its finishing or guys not making runs or both, we dont scare anyone when were close to goal.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You need to take shots (and score some) from long range to open up passing lanes inside the box. Weve scored from deep enough this year that guys like Morgan & Luq are threats from distance. Our issues are inside the 18, whether its finishing or guys not making runs or both, we dont scare anyone when were close to goal.

Lately our issues have been everywhere.   Luqui showed early signs of being able to shoot from distance, but that's dried up.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I think Struber is learning the offensive side of his game and how to set up likely goal scoring plays. He relies on individual brilliance (several Morgan goals from distance, Luqs) to generate scoring opportunities.  

I like him a lot, but I wonder if some of Klimala's issues are due to him thinking about being creative, as opposed to filling a role/following a script regarding movement. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I like him a lot, but I wonder if some of Klimala's issues are due to him thinking about being creative, as opposed to filling a role/following a script regarding movement. 

Does it have to be more complicated than the scripted movement? Gonna be tough for any striker to score goals regularly when 90% of their runs behind the defense are towards the corner flag instead of towards goal.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I wonder if some of Klimala's issues are due to him thinking about being creative, as opposed to filling a role/following a script regarding movement. 

Klimala used to get in the box.  He's either not doing so now because he can't handle the pressure of missing opportunities when he gets chances in the box or Struber knows he can't score and his telling him to be more of a creator and to go wide.  I'm guessing it's the former.  There was a chance in the Orlando match when Klimala received the ball at his feet in the box, he was heading towards goal, but took his first touch away from net instead of driving towards towards it and getting a shot off.  Nothing resulted from the play, obviously.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Klimala used to get in the box.  He's either not doing so now because he can't handle the pressure of missing opportunities when he gets chances in the box or Struber knows he can't score and his telling him to be more of a creator and to go wide.  I'm guessing it's the former.

There is a third, more frightening option that you're not considering. Maybe Struber wants Klimala to make runs towards the corner not because of any physical or mental issue, but simply because those are the attacking tactics he thinks will work, and would give the exact same instruction to a world class striker. Maybe he'd still tell Luis Suarez to bust his ass to the corner and start whipping in low crosses.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

We have plenty of goals from outside the box this year. Morgan, Morgan, Ngoma, Yearwood, Fernandez, just off the top of my head. Outside the box is not the problem. Getting inside the box and doing something positive there is.

Yeah, scoring from outside the box seems to be the least of our worries. Maybe a Grade-A free kick option is missing, but xG on outside the box shots aren't great anyway and there's a reason teams are taking less and less of them. They're mostly for keeping the opposition honest. 

I think our biggest issue is actually the complete opposite. We desperately need someone who can put one-touch finishes in the 6-12 yard area. Like 80% of BWP's goals were like that. 

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
As some here have already pointed out, looking to shoot from outside the box is such a low percentage play that you do not see it used consistently in professional soccer, specially if you compare it to other scoring methods. For historys sake, we had one of the best long distance shooters (albeit from free kicks) and he never scored once.

At this point it seems like the team has hit a mental point that is leading players to be out of synch, turnovers by the opponents are turning into passes into the wrong path, or too late to the intended movement of a teammate. Once one sequence fails to connect, everybody else tenses up and it is a downward spiral.

Also, teams seem to have adapted to Luquinhas play style and are making it more difficult to get the ball, or not giving space to carry the ball. The difference is that Luqui is more of an enganche than a passer like Kaku or Klejstan.

Struber must also be thinking this is not how we practiced it during the week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users