Should BWP get statue on entrance to RBA?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: BWP statue after retirement (85 member(s) have cast votes)

Should BWP be honored with Statue at RBA

1. Yes if we win the Cup only (31 votes [36.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.47%

2. Yes after he retires (43 votes [50.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.59%

3. no only a plaque inside RBA no matter how his career ends (7 votes [8.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.24%

4. no just banners by supporter groups (4 votes [4.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Yeah... I'm a cup type of person.  It's easier to add guys who didn't win after you've already won a championship, but as the first it should involve a cup.

Until then, I do very much see BWP as Ewing, Mattingly, and now Lundqvist.

And Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Ken Griffey Jr, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, Charles Barkley, Gilbert Perrault (who as I noted DOES have a statue), Pat LaFontaine, Darryl Sittler, Rod Gilbert, Cam Neely,Barry Bonds, Craig Biggio, Andre Dawson...ect.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Statues should be for immortal legends, not guys who were regular season all stars but couldn't get the job done when it mattered most.

I love BWP but he needs to win an MLS Cup before a statue happens.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
I don't think some people realize that BWP isn't just the greatest player in Metro history, he is one of the greatest players in MLS history. To put it in perspective: if he scores even one more goal this season (with like 15 matches left mind you) he will be the fastest in league history to reach 100. Think of all the great names in the history of the league and realize that BWP is better than almost any of them. If we don't win a cup he is Ted Williams, who is a guy no sane person will argue isn't an immortal despite never winning a World Series.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Yes, club legend.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

If he wins us a cup, 100%. If not, I still lean towards yes but we will see. At the very least retire the number. His career isn't over yet.

Side note: Can we get a chant or song for this guy? I know his name tough but he doesn't get the love he should. We used to chant Henry's name after after goal.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

This championship fetish in US sports has gotten ridiculous.  (especially in this case with the 2 Supporters Shields.)

BWP will retire as one of the best strikers in MLS history with the team record for goals scored.

I'm all for building him a statue after he retires, right next to the one of Thierry 'Henrying.'

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

We have been spoiled by BWP. It's hard to imagine anyone will come along and replace him in terms of productivity and longevity. I have no problem  honoring this period of the club's history through BWP as soon as he retires.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
Maybe we could get the guy that made that great statue of Christiano Ronaldo. Id love to see more of his work outside Red Bull Arena.

http://www.goal.com/...nv1oti8o2ofi96m

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

had he buried that chance in Guadalajara and laid waste to TFC in the next round, statue. 

but he didn't bury that chance in Guadalajara. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There's no statue for Mathis, Henry, Howard, Amado (our only MVP), or anyone else.

I think the player that leads us to our first league, USOC, or CCL championship should be the one that gets that first statue.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

player that leads us to our first league, USOC, or CCL championship should be the one that gets that first statue.

So, if Macoumba Kandji had scored a hat trick in the 2008 MLS Cup ...?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Kind of related: Why have the Supporters Shield banners not been displayed all year? 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Kind of related: Why have the Supporters Shield banners not been displayed all year? 

They have been there every game I've been to this year. They do tie them back when it's really windy though, they did that last game.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Statue should be of the heel click goal celebration. But how could you do that if he is in the air?

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

They have been there every game I've been to this year. They do tie them back when it's really windy though, they did that last game.

Oh OK. I've been to like 4 or 5 games and they were tied back for all of them. Maybe it's just a coincidence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users