9 replies to this topic

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

They used to have "Ragin'" in front of their name when they were trying to get into MLS, but now just "Rhinos". Anyway they beat LA2 for the USL title. Congratulations, and GO NY!

http://www.uslsoccer...TCLID=210433834

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Great win for a team with a great soccer tradition. Rochester is SoccerTown USA. 

Trivia: the Rhinos are the only non MLS team to win the US Open Cup in the MLS era. 

I recall, there was some buzz around the Ragin Rhinos years ago, when they were trying to make a push to the MLS. They have a soccer specific stadium after all. Sadly, those days are long gone. The team doesn't seem to draw well anymore.

Regardless, I was totally pumped up to see em win. I was watching the game on ESPN3. Look at my avatar, GO RHINOS!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

From the video I've seen, sparse crowd on a rainy Friday night.  Announced 5,421.  Looked like less than 2k.

Still, Congrats o the Champs!  Just need to get that BIMBO sponsorship off their jerseys.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I was at Pae Tac Park when it opened.  It's a decent enough minor league facility, but it doesn't even match up to Columbus Crew standards.  That coupled with Rochester's decline in population and being a fairly tiny TV market just didn't make the cut for MLS.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

I was at Pae Tac Park when it opened.  It's a decent enough minor league facility, but it doesn't even match up to Columbus Crew standards.  That coupled with Rochester's decline in population and being a fairly tiny TV market just didn't make the cut for MLS.

How many cities can claim an NBA Championship?

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Pac Tec is in the middle of a DMZ

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
Premier league superstar Jamie Vardy becomes part owner of the Rhinos. They are coming back. LETS GO!!!

https://twitter.com/...2488300544?s=21

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Apparently the owners really got it off with him when they saw him drinking Corona quote because it was on sale unquote.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Yeah, but they once won the NBA championship!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

they once won the NBA championship!

Also the USOC, which we have not done.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users