49 replies to this topic

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I know people in here complain about fans in the seats and not the reported numbers.  However, the reported numbers definitely mean something to the league and the team.  I thought it was interesting the RBNY draws the second most fans when just looking at the original MLS teams.  And the number is not that much worse than NYC FC who has declined each year. 

https://soccerstadiu...mls-attendance/

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA
2018 is a WC year. There will be players going to the show. And MLS will have an uneven schedule. And fans will want to watch WC if there is a conflict. Not a great year to be a STH.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the reported numbers definitely mean something to the league and the team. 

A bit off-topic in this thread, but, what are the real numbers?  As I always say, "reported" numbers are BS.  Same with "tickets distributed". 

We have no way of knowig how these numbers are compiled.  I'm skeptical of a reported or distributed 18,000, when it's obvious that there are less than 10,000 in attendance.  Did so many people actualy buy tickets, but not show up?  Were tickets distributed to sponsors, groups, etc., who had no intention of going?  

The numbers generated in other stadiums seem far more legitimate.   

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

2018 is a WC year. There will be players going to the show. And MLS will have an uneven schedule. And fans will want to watch WC if there is a conflict. Not a great year to be a STH.

won't all the world cup games be in the late morning/early afternoon NYC time due to time zones?  i hope that the MLS schedule makers will schedule late afternoon or evening summer games to avoid any conflicts. 

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Supports:metro

Did so many people actualy buy tickets, but not show up?  Were tickets distributed to sponsors, groups, etc., who had no intention of going?  

There are 4 "season tickets" right next to my seats that I have never seen the same people in twice.  I asked to get extra tickets in those seats and my rep says they were someone else's season tickets.  Seats are empty probably half the time.  I don't really understand how anyone is making money on flipping these seats (up in 217), but apparently someone's trying to.  Been this way for at least a couple of years.

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

There are 4 "season tickets" right next to my seats that I have never seen the same people in twice.  I asked to get extra tickets in those seats and my rep says they were someone else's season tickets.  Seats are empty probably half the time.  I don't really understand how anyone is making money on flipping these seats (up in 217), but apparently someone's trying to.  Been this way for at least a couple of years.

I think this is my sixth or seventh year as a season ticket holder.  This year, my life, job, and wife have conspired against me and I don't think I've made it to more than 1-2 games.  I have either sold or given away all the games I have missed so my seats shouldn't be empty.  I'm not trying to make a buck on the games.  I'm genuinely pissed this year is tough and hope to make it more often next year.  However, the overall cost of the games isn't extremely expensive and almost every game can be sold for what I paid so I would not consider giving up my seats now or in the future.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I think this is my sixth or seventh year as a season ticket holder.  This year, my life, job, and wife have conspired against me and I don't think I've made it to more than 1-2 games.  I have either sold or given away all the games I have missed so my seats shouldn't be empty.  I'm not trying to make a buck on the games.  I'm genuinely pissed this year is tough and hope to make it more often next year.  However, the overall cost of the games isn't extremely expensive and almost every game can be sold for what I paid so I would not consider giving up my seats now or in the future.

I'm in the same boat as you. After years of going to 90-100 percent of home games, my work schedule conflicts from me attending this year. I'm really considering not renewing, due to not being able to sell the tickets that I don't use on the secondary market. When I do sell the tickets it's for some very low price. Additionally, I always looked forward to the friendlies with european clubs because I would recoup some of the cost of season tickets. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
I have no complaints about the ticket prices going up a bit. I feel like the value is still really great when we get free open cup, free champions league and free playoff tickets. Add that to the nice scarf and other season ticket holder gift they always give and it's still the best deal out there in sports to me.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Looks like this year's gift is a hoodie. Definitely a step up from the training top.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Looks like this year's gift is a hoodie. Definitely a step up from the training top.

i like it. 

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Supports:metro

looks like you can opt out of the hoodie and save $36.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Well if thats the case they can keep the hoodie. I can use the money and buy a custom online designed Metro Hoodie. 

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

looks like you can opt out of the hoodie and save $36.

That's pretty funny, if it's true.  Red member bonus is not really free now?  :)+

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Southward tickets without the sweater is $364 after fees instead of $400. So if you decline the sweater ticket price went up $18 from $346 to $364. So tickets went up just over 5% (18/346=.05 or 5%) or a little over a dollar per regular season game.

2018 $364/17=21.41

2017 $346/17=20.35

$1.06 Increase per game. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I think it varies and "tickets distributed" is a way more common metric now than it once was. 

I've been to three NYCFC games this season at YS and felt that announced attendance was at least 5k more than was likely there. 

LA keep reporting 20k+ when it's clear that only about 12k are in the seats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users