McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

From soda to sheiks? Errrrrrrrr....

Any LOCAL rich people? Come on!

Sports teams aren't bought by "local" people - QSI and PSG, City Football and Man City, Americans at Liverpool, Man U, & Arsenal, Chelsea & Monaco have Russian owners.  Leagues like the Bundesliga & La Liga are rare and there aren't any like them in the US.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Sports teams aren't bought by "local" people - QSI and PSG, City Football and Man City, Americans at Liverpool, Man U, & Arsenal, Chelsea & Monaco have Russian owners.  Leagues like the Bundesliga & La Liga are rare and there aren't any like them in the US.

Chivas was bought by a group of mostly locals.  Columbus was bought by a local.  Go through all the teams that have been added to the league or have changed owners - Seattle, Philly, Vancouver, Montreal, Portland, Orlando - all local.  In MLS, local ownership is the norm, Red Bull and Man City are the exceptions.  Now sit back, be quiet, and let the grown ups talk.  

These new names around here  (curiously supportive/tolerant of the new regime) are tiresome with their ignorance.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

poor trolling

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
His point isn't that crazy. Business is much more global now and that's why you see so many foreign owners. It's just the way things are going now.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

His point isn't that crazy. Business is much more global now and that's why you see so many foreign owners. It's just the way things are going now.

He doesn't have a point.   You are not seeing "so many" foreign owners in MLS.  Its not the way things are going.  What happens in the Prem or other leagues or other sports is irrelevant.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

He doesn't have a point.   You are not seeing "so many" foreign owners in MLS.  Its not the way things are going.  What happens in the Prem or other leagues or other sports is irrelevant.

He didn't say in MLS. He said in sports. Despite what some may think, the Premier League, as well as every other sports league outside the MLS bubble do actually exist. So his statement is, in point of fact, accurate, even though it may be an unpopular trend to some. Not saying which model is better or worse, just that there are several leagues with increasing foreign ownership. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

He didn't say in MLS. He said in sports. Despite what some may think, the Premier League, as well as every other sports league outside the MLS bubble do actually exist. So his statement is, in point of fact, accurate, even though it may be an unpopular trend to some. Not saying which model is better or worse, just that there are several leagues with increasing foreign ownership. 

this is what he said:

Sports teams aren't bought by "local" people

Yes they are, in MLS

- QSI and PSG, City Football and Man City, Americans at Liverpool, Man U, & Arsenal, Chelsea & Monaco have Russian owners.  Leagues like the Bundesliga & La Liga are rare and there aren't any like them in the US.

Yes there is, and its called MLS.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

If anything, the statement you're defending comes out of a bubble. The examples we got are "QSI and PSG, City Football and Man City, Americans at Liverpool, Man U, & Arsenal, Chelsea & Monaco". So. A handful of giant teams, playing in big cities, in a handful of leagues, out of the thousands, thousands, and hundreds, respectively. If you want to say that fans of teams playing in big cities should expect it, fine. If you want to say that this is what most fans should expect, no dice. Let's run down what percentage of the French, German, Japanese, and literally almost every other league's ownership is foreign. Despite what some may think, other leagues outside of the Champions League and Premier League do exist.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

As long as they embrace a form of tradition, I don't see why foreign ownership is a problem, especially if they are going to pump money into the club at the same time.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Chivas was bought by a group of mostly locals.  Columbus was bought by a local.  Go through all the teams that have been added to the league or have changed owners - Seattle, Philly, Vancouver, Montreal, Portland, Orlando - all local.  In MLS, local ownership is the norm, Red Bull and Man City are the exceptions.  Now sit back, be quiet, and let the grown ups talk.  

These new names around here  (curiously supportive/tolerant of the new regime) are tiresome with their ignorance.

First, Chivas folded. LAFC is an expansion team. Second, Henry Nguyen's money is based overseas. Third, with the exception of Gruber, the rest of all the LAFC owners (ie Magic Johnson) have small percentages and are for show.
Isn't Orlando's owner Brazilian? Aren't Seatle's owners from Cali?
I was comparing Red Bull to big market Euro teams and to other American sports franchises (Steve Ballmer isn't from LA).
And having owners that are fans doesn't always work. Dan Schneider loves the Redskins, but can't get out of his own way to let them succeed. Does anyone think Jerry Jones doesn't want to win? Passion doesn't equal wins.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

this is what he said:

Sports teams aren't bought by "local" people

Yes they are, in MLS

- QSI and PSG, City Football and Man City, Americans at Liverpool, Man U, & Arsenal, Chelsea & Monaco have Russian owners.  Leagues like the Bundesliga & La Liga are rare and there aren't any like them in the US.

You're are right, based on what I wrote. I should have been more specific. I didn't consider markets like Orlando or Columbus because they're so small. QSI bought the Paris team, even though they haven't had the success of a Lyon or a Marseille, because they are in fucking Paris. Small markets may get local ownership, but big markets are going to get interest globally because everyone wants to be in NY, London, Paris, LA, etc... I also don't consider Henry Nguyen local as I think all his wealth is based in Asia - maybe I'm wrong about that.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

As long as they embrace a form of tradition, I don't see why foreign ownership is a problem, especially if they are going to pump money into the club at the same time.

I'm with you. Give the team a Metro-based name, fund it appropriately, and let's go.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

And if you're content with the current level of MLS then things don't have to change. But I think if you want MLS to rise to the level if the South American leagues and compete in popularity with other US sports, you can expect the type of owners to change.
The NFL still has the old guard (Rooneys, Maras), but although some are, many of the newer owners aren't necessarily locals.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

First, Chivas folded. LAFC is an expansion team. Second, Henry Nguyen's money is based overseas. Third, with the exception of Gruber, the rest of all the LAFC owners (ie Magic Johnson) have small percentages and are for show.
Isn't Orlando's owner Brazilian? Aren't Seatle's owners from Cali?
I was comparing Red Bull to big market Euro teams and to other American sports franchises (Steve Ballmer isn't from LA).
And having owners that are fans doesn't always work. Dan Schneider loves the Redskins, but can't get out of his own way to let them succeed. Does anyone think Jerry Jones doesn't want to win? Passion doesn't equal wins.

Uh, you're close, McSoccer. But the current Redskins owner's actual name is Daniel Marc Synder.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'll take local passion (with no wins) over cunts half a world away (with no wins!).

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users