juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Reddit Post

Podcast Link

In Wahl's Planet Futbol Podcast, Ian Wright claims that Mike Petke tried to dump BWP after his 2013 trial but that his agent "went over his head to keep him"

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Interesting stuff.  Wright says it as though it's fact.  Basically starts around the 23 minute mark.  He says that Petke didn't want to keep him after the trial but the agent  (and even Henry) vouched for him.  Ian Wright then follows it by saying that he doesn't like Petke because he didn't want to give BWP a chance.  Ian Wright really saying some proud father things about BWP too.  So proud of him and what he's done in MLS.  Basically says that BWP (and BWP would say this himself) didn't take soccer seriously enough, but it eventually clicked.  Perhaps moving here and having Henry breathing down his neck. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And a bunch of people (including me) wanted to dump BWP early in 2014 when he wasn't scoring.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I remember writing in to Seeing Red when he was on trial trying to explain that this guy was a striker, not a right-mid, but they weren't having it.  :P

Everyone thought they were bringing him in to play the right side. We had greatest-of-all-time Espindola at striker. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

And a bunch of people (including me) wanted to dump BWP early in 2014 when he wasn't scoring.

Right but it's interesting that an agent + whomever else had the ability to go over Petke's head

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Right but it's interesting that an agent + whomever else had the ability to go over Petke's head

THought that part made plenty of sense.  The coach has a strong opinion but Roxy still had final say on the roster.  Coach can make his recommendation in the setup that we had but that's all it is.

I really didn't remember a ton of people calling for BWP to be released because I didn't think he hit that many games where he was struggling to finish.  Either way, people around here didn't have any control over his career with this team.  

Thankfully we had guys like Roxy and Henry who seen things the right way.

My personal wavering on BWP always has to do with nothing happening in some of the biggest games. I always wonder if he's one of those guys who are great but can't win the biggest one.  Now he's just been too good for too long for me to even question it anymore.  Even with those big failures.  If he's going to be our Henrik Lundquist or Ewing, or Mattingly, then so be it.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

BWP did some immature shit prior to arriving here, including some stuff that got him in trouble with the police.  I, for one, allowed that to affect my initial opinion of the guy.  But, he's the classic example of how people can change and mature as they grow into adulthood.  I know I'm not the same guy I was in my early 20's, when I was a drunken mess.  And god knows, I wouldn't want employers--or anyone else--to judge me based on that period of my life. 

BWP is really such a role model now--hard worker, totally humble, etc.  I love the guy.  He would have deserved an England call up had he gotten one.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he certainly turned his career around once he touched these shores. 

shame about petke is that we kinda knew he was a fire and brimstone type of coach only. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

THought that part made plenty of sense.  The coach has a strong opinion but Roxy still had final say on the roster.  Coach can make his recommendation in the setup that we had but that's all it is.

I really didn't remember a ton of people calling for BWP to be released because I didn't think he hit that many games where he was struggling to finish.  Either way, people around here didn't have any control over his career with this team.  

Thankfully we had guys like Roxy and Henry who seen things the right way.

My personal wavering on BWP always has to do with nothing happening in some of the biggest games. I always wonder if he's one of those guys who are great but can't win the biggest one.  Now he's just been too good for too long for me to even question it anymore.  Even with those big failures.  If he's going to be our Henrik Lundquist or Ewing, or Mattingly, then so be it.

THIS!!! A million percent!

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

Damn I remember when everyone thought BWP was just extra incentive to for SWP to come, how times change.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

BWP did some immature shit prior to arriving here, including some stuff that got him in trouble with the police.  I, for one, allowed that to affect my initial opinion of the guy.  But, he's the classic example of how people can change and mature as they grow into adulthood.  I know I'm not the same guy I was in my early 20's, when I was a drunken mess.  And god knows, I wouldn't want employers--or anyone else--to judge me based on that period of my life. 

BWP is really such a role model now--hard worker, totally humble, etc.  I love the guy.  He would have deserved an England call up had he gotten one.  

I'll always regret the fact that BWP never got the call up while he was a member of our team as that would've been huge for him, his father, and our team. I had always hoped he'd at least get a call up for a friendly but alas, it never came. The MLS stigma while pretty strong now was much stronger a few years ago. I remember David Beckham starring for the Galaxy and going out on loan to AC Milan just to keep his place on the England squad by playing European football. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He should've suited up for Jamaica. They would've been more bad ass with him in the lineup. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Petke may not have been impressed intially however he joined the bandwagon rather quickly and saw how he was an improvement on Espindola. Didn't take too long for BWP to win the starting job here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users