48 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We couldn't renew his contract and sell him to Miami for say, 100K?

Oh well, I'm not a GM... but apparently Hamlett isn't one either.

Probably wouldn't be a great look to hold him hostage like that. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Why hold hostage? He wanted to go to Miami, Miami wanted him. Get them to give us a token allocation, and everyone goes home friends.

Same as Dax/Nashville.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Why hold hostage? He wanted to go to Miami, Miami wanted him. Get them to give us a token allocation, and everyone goes home friends.

Same as Dax/Nashville.

Are you looking to sign another lock down outside back with that 50th pick?

;-)

agree nice move by Hamlett.  Ali would not make that move - probably would think about how many pair of pants he could trade that pick for.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Are you looking to sign another lock down outside back with that 50th pick?

;-)

agree nice move by Hamlett.  Ali would not make that move - probably would think about how many pair of pants he could trade that pick for.

Not 50th pick. 50K in GAM/TAM, whatever. It all adds up.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
"When I sit here in this position thats my ultimate goal: how do I construct a team that will bring the New York Red Bulls an MLS Cup," Red Bulls sporting director Denis Hamlett said on a conference call on Thursday afternoon. "That is the thing that is at the forefront of everything we think about and these are tough decisions you make and I think its part of it. Our main goal is how do we construct something that can help us win championships and I understand (fan frustration) but I cant make emotional decisions."

Yet clearly, you did.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Yeah this is horrible. Robles was a great player for us and all and he's a great person but the front office is supposed to do what's best for the team and letting Robles walk away for nothing is not it.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Same as Dax/Nashville.

Robles requested it. There are long-term implications as well. There are no guarantees Miami signs him if they are forced into a negotiation. Obviously a bit of GAM would be nice, but I would bet that some goodwill will help the team much more. Players talk. Agents talk. I think showing players that they will be treated with respect is a far better recruiting tool than a small amount of extra pocket change. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
If Hamlett ruthlessly traded Robles to Minnesota ot Vancouver, many would be complaining as well.

50K in AM, which may or may not have been achievable in a trade, won't make or break our season. There are bigger issues to be worried about.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Happy for Robles, he's still a top gk in the league and hope he continues playing well down in Miami just not against us. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

BTW I don't think there is a debate for all time RB/Metro gk rankings - Robles is at the top of the list. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

BTW I don't think there is a debate for all time RB/Metro gk rankings - Robles is at the top of the list. 

No question, in my opinion.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Hamlett should have tried to get some compensation here. Some people around here would have complained but it's just the right way to run a team. It's all about asset management and feelings can't get in the way.

All that said, it does hurt to see Robles on another team.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Robles requested it. There are long-term implications as well. There are no guarantees Miami signs him if they are forced into a negotiation. Obviously a bit of GAM would be nice, but I would bet that some goodwill will help the team much more. Players talk. Agents talk. I think showing players that they will be treated with respect is a far better recruiting tool than a small amount of extra pocket change. 

sorry can't get on board with the call for extracting value in this case.

50K to add to our stockpile? or keep us below budget?  which as we all know we are well below.

50K in goodwill is worth it especially since they think/have a starter in Ryan Meara who is much less cost.  Who knows maybe Meara was getting ancy and passed on opportunities with understanding this was the plan. 

People thru a s fit about how not letting Long go for ~3M is outrageous, and the whole Dax situation, but here they want little Garber bucks. 

I'm ok with an emotional decision for Luis.

Miss Luis as he is a great player and amazing person (just in listening to him be interviewed)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I actually think the players association would take issue with the practice too - why have a re-entry draft then? 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

I don't get it. Player is on an option year. Team wants to move on. It finds a team the player wants to go and works out a deal beneficial to both teams. Everyone is happy. This is not a big deal and happens in every sport.

Heck, since MLS has a limit on 2 free agent signings per team, doing a this could actually HELP Miami sign another free agent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users