• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Assuming that some failure to comply with federal bureaucracy is the cause of this issue-- and let's be clear that we don't know if that's true-- a failure on the part of a team relying heavily on foreign imports to compete to keep its shit straight is pretty much inexcusable. I expect we'll hear nothing but obfuscation and excuse-making, but maybe we'll get the full story eventually.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Viktards fucked this up.

Yeah, because Luke is such a goody two shoes and follows the rules so closely that I can't imagine it would have anything to do with him. :rolleyes: :lol:

C.O.Jones

C.O.Jones

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Supports:CF Cadiz

Assuming that some failure to comply with federal bureaucracy is the cause of this issue-- and let's be clear that we don't know if that's true-- a failure on the part of a team relying heavily on foreign imports to compete to keep its shit straight is pretty much inexcusable. I expect we'll hear nothing but obfuscation and excuse-making, but maybe we'll get the full story eventually.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Viktards fucked this up.

My initial suspicions still persist (was the OP of the thread), hopefully, like you said, it was just a Viktard F/U, but paint me skeptical, but part of me still feels something we may never be privy to happened. Either Luke did something and failed to tell NYRB, or something was missed on his initial Visa application that was "discovered" on his renewal/repplication (if that is even possible).
Since none of the other returning international players had visa issues, my eyebrow is raised.

NJEuroMutt

NJEuroMutt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,Nottingham My Kids
Its pretty much George Bush's fault..annnd go...
Beckham? His wife can't sing and his barber can't cut hair.
Brian Clough

You're Going To Reap Just What You Sow,
You're Going To Reap Just What You Sow...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
This could very easily be a FO F-up, but doing a lot of this stuff with the hundreds of coders we bring in, and paying a lot of money to lawyers and services manage it all, the government bureacratic black hole is my #1 suspect. Anytime anyone comes across with anything out of the ordinary, it falls out of process and gets thrown in the pain-in-the-ass file on some low paid, lazy, slow-as-dirt administrator's desk for special review. And they get to it when they damn well feel like getting to it.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
In the last play-off game against LA, Luke needlessly ripped a ball into the crowd and missed a girls face by literally 2 inches.

If the ball had actually hit her, he never would have been let back in the USA!

Free Luke from Britian!! :lol:

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

NJEuroMutt

NJEuroMutt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,Nottingham My Kids

This could very easily be a FO F-up, but doing a lot of this stuff with the hundreds of coders we bring in, and paying a lot of money to lawyers and services manage it all, the government bureacratic black hole is my #1 suspect. Anytime anyone comes across with anything out of the ordinary, it falls out of process and gets thrown in the pain-in-the-ass file on some low paid, lazy, slow-as-dirt administrator's desk for special review. And they get to it when they damn well feel like getting to it.

Yea i totally agree...must be tons of red tape...i remember the irs once wanted proof of a.dependant and.it took.2 years after jumping through circles to show i proved i took care of my nephew...it was insane...it probably cost them.tens of thousands in man hours to prove.a thousand dollar check i deserved. I am sure we all.have our government nightmare stories..but this oneis mine..without it i am nothing..without me it is nothing.
Beckham? His wife can't sing and his barber can't cut hair.
Brian Clough

You're Going To Reap Just What You Sow...

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
Didn't I read somewhere that he overstayed his visa this season...

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Didn't I read somewhere that he overstayed his visa this season...

Nope.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Nope.

Ha Ha awesome :cheers:

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Nope.

NYTimes

it is believed that Rodgers overstayed his visa last year by several days and is now going about compiling the documentation necessary to plead his case that his overstay was because of his employment with the Red Bulls during the Major League Soccer playoff series against Los Angeles.

BAS

According to one source close to the team, the delay could have come from the fact that Rodgers had over-stayed his visa from last season.

ESPN

Rodgers is injury-prone and has yet to secure his 2012 work visa because of renewal complications from overstaying his permits last season.

Ithics

Ithics

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Helpless yelling
  • Supports:Metro etc.
Ian: Nigel gave me a drawing that said eighteen inches. Alright?
David: I know he did, and that's what I'm talking about.
Ian: Now, whether he knows the difference between feet and inches is not my problem. I do what I'm told.
David: But you're not as confused as him are you? I mean it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel is.
Ian: It's my job to do what I'm asked to do by the creative element of this band. And that's what I did. C'mon...
Jeanine: The audience were laughing.
Ian: So it became a comedy number.
David: Yes it did! Yes it fucking well did, and it was not pleasant to be part of the comedy on stage. Backstage, perhaps, it was very amusing.
"I guess everybody has their own thing that they yell into a well", Bill Callahan

It's the hope I can't stand.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
Mike, if it's the case that his visa lapsed in the week between the Dallas game and the 2nd LA game, it's still incomprehensible. The team is stocked with foreigners. Surely someone in the organization is paid to provide legal counsel for immigration issues? If so, how did this get overlooked? If not... why not?

It could instead be the case that these issues are handled by MLS HQ, but I'm a little skeptical that the league takes responsibility for dealing with how the immigration laws of two countries applies to the scores of players who require to get permits to work in the US and Canada. My wife used to work for the Consulate General of Canada, and she had to handle cases of a few hockey players who were getting their paperwork in order to play for the Leafs. She didn't deal with the NHL head office-- she dealt with the immigration lawyers retained by the Maple Leafs on behalf of the players. But who knows how it works in MLS.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

It could instead be the case that these issues are handled by MLS HQ

No.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
if the state dept is giving luke issues then the supporter groups can start a campaign by getting their local congressmen involved.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Seems bizzare that they wouldn't ask for a work permit that extends into the postseason. Wouldn't this be the case with any foreign player?

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users