Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
http://sports.yahoo....00725--mls.html
http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=30444

Were these guys forced to wait on the concession lines with the rest of us plebs?

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team
Michael Lewis has a good point about Henry and Marquez refusing to speak to the press. It's getting really unprofessional. And he's 100% right that Marquez is a waste of $4.6 million.

Alex Labidou is being a little ridiculous, though. The fans honored Angel before the game and that should be plenty for him. He's still an opposing player. RBNY isn't obligated to provide a trip down memory lane, especially since they are (supposedly) trying to market the team's current players.
Loyal supporter of the 2013, 2015, and 2018 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!
Playoffs are stupid in soccer and I don't care if that hurts your feelings.

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

There are rumors going around that Henry and Marquez were upset because of the fan tribute to Angel (remember that Henry was given hero's tribute when a statue was unveiled of himself outside of Arsenal's home, Emirates Stadium last December). If that is the case, then they are divas and showing their true colors. Hopefully, that was not the case and that there was another reason (being angry about the team's performance and tie does not count as a reason not to talk).

See, this part of Michael Lewis' article... seems to be pure bullshit.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,948 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That's the piece of the op-ed that stood out to me. I'd like to hear it from Henry or Marquez, but we know that will never happen.

As for the media blackout, I've heard about this dating back to the beginning of the season. It's my understanding that at Barcelona there is a rotation system... a couple of players talk the media after a game... next game a couple of other players... a specific player may only talk to the media a few times per season.

Originally, Henry was talking to the media each day. After some time, the team agreed to change the policy that Marquez and himself would only to talk to the media once a week during practice... games being a different story.

Seems like Henry and Marquez are forcing the issue now. Why? I have no idea. This isn't Europe... and these guys need to realize that.

Truth is they signed a contract here not only to play soccer for this team, but to help grow the fanbase .

I commend Michael Lewis for taking a stand. It isn't going to get him any brownie points, but it definitely puts the issue out there.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

I agree... This is where a writer loses credibility. Marquez hasn't talked to the media in forever, so him not talking last night had ANYTHING to do with a JPA tribute? Just stupid and disingenuous to even write that.

And I know of Marquez refusing to talk to the media, but outside of last night, has this been a big issue with Henry? If last night was one of Henry's few times not talking to the media then give the guy a break.

And fans don't give a fuck if Henry talks to the media less than JPA because the guy has more of an impact in causing victories than Juan Pablo Angel.

HarryRoberts

HarryRoberts

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Supports:Notts County and New York Red Bulls
you have to remember boys in Europe players are not obligated to talk to the media and many times do not.. seems american journalists are just a bit of divas themselves if the players don't want to talk to em?? I seriously doubt either Marquez or Henry would be upset about showing appreciation for a former great.. I think it went a bit overboard, but understood..

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,439 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

you have to remember boys in Europe players are not obligated to talk to the media and many times do not.. seems american journalists are just a bit of divas themselves if the players don't want to talk to em?? I seriously doubt either Marquez or Henry would be upset about showing appreciation for a former great.. I think it went a bit overboard, but understood..

Yeah well too bad. In US sports all players must make themselves available to talk to the media. Henry and Marquez should have gotten used to it by now.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,948 posts
  • Supports:Metro

you have to remember boys in Europe players are not obligated to talk to the media and many times do not.. seems american journalists are just a bit of divas themselves if the players don't want to talk to em??

How are they divas when the biggest athletes in this country... the Peyton Mannings, Kobe Bryants, Lebron James, and Derek Jeters of the world talk to the media regularly?

Media communication in this country is different... shouldn't the players have to bend to the ways of this country? Or are they larger than life?

As for Henry not talking to the media... yes it has been a problem. Curious to see if any of the beat reporters comment in this thread.

If Marquez isn't going to play well, be suspended quite a bit, and isn't helping bring in new fans via marketing initiatives... why is he here? I have to believe management has grown tiresome of this.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

aTrayne

aTrayne

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:...association football, tennis, skiing, indie music, culturejamming.
  • Supports:RBNY Metros, Celtic FC

... seems american journalists are just a bit of divas themselves...

THIS
RedBull gives you wings...and the wings given to the RBNY marketing/PR team were from a Dodo bird.

RedBull on our chests, Metro in our hearts

copaantl98

copaantl98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars and USNT
I see no big deal with what either of them wrote.
Judge: Mr Griffin, you even tried to bribe me with a subscription to Grape soda today, which I already have!

I'M AN AMERISNOB.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
To be honest, who cares what Marquez thinks of an Angel tribute, it wouldn't matter to me what he had to say about that either way.

That said, there are certainly a lot things I would like to hear from Marquez about, relating to his team, his play, his future, etc.. Not sure we'll ever get that.

Even more interesting, I would love our beats to sit down with Hans and get an explanation on his substitution philosophy, his thoughts on developing young players, and a whole raft of other relevant matters relating to game management, how he prepares his team, what does he focus on with the players pregame and at haftime, why he doesn't involve himself more in scouting for the draft, how he and Soler source new talent, does he get deeply involved or just tell Erik his needs and erik does the rest, his relationship with Austria, how (if at all) he has changed his coaching approach now that he has been in MLS for awhile, his career aspirations, what duties does he delegate to his staff members, why does he like to have his wings (at least Dane and Joel) collapse into the middle so much rather than staying wider, likewise, why does he like his backs to give so much space to the opposing wings, is that his direction or do they just not listen, does he do much "teaching" or does he just giver strategy and direction and expect each player to figure it out?, if he could rewind Agudelo to day 1 would he do anything different, who helped to get Cooper to be less "soft", how does the team work to polish the "rough" edges off of young players like Palsson?, why Holgersson as captain in Henry's absence since he seems to be not very vocal on the pitch, etc, etc, etc..

Don't expect all of that to be addressed, but that's the stuff that is valuable and would give us better insights into what is going on rather than some politically correct sweet nothing about Angel.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

And fans don't give a fuck if Henry talks to the media less than JPA because the guy has more of an impact in causing victories than Juan Pablo Angel.

Posted Image
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Don't expect all of that to be addressed, but that's the stuff that is valuable and would give us better insights into what is going on rather than some politically correct sweet nothing about Angel.

Well said.

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

you have to remember boys in Europe players are not obligated to talk to the media and many times do not.. seems american journalists are just a bit of divas themselves if the players don't want to talk to em??

Expecting somebody to fulfil a contractual obligation does not make a person a diva. If you claim don't mind when people sign contracts to provide a service, take the money and refuse to honor those contracts, that's your right of course. But somehow, at the risk of being offensive, I don't believe you for one second. Wait until a guy leaves your roof half-finished, or your house halfway rewired and then come back and tell me you don't mind.

The fact of the matter is, in the case of MLS, as in the case of the NFL and MLB (I won't bring up the NHL, because I don't make statements about things I don't know anything about) the players are required by signed contract to avail themselves to the media. In the case of MLB, those rights were hammered out through sometimes-contentious negotiations with the BBWAA (the writers). That testy legal wrangling wasn't needed in MLS because, frankly, the league needs publicity and had always wanted it's players to talk. I've been around this league before there even was a league, and they've never had a player flaunt the rules as much as this pair. Never.

This is not Europe. I frankly don't give a damn what they had to do or didn't have to do there. I'm dealing with their requirements here; those requirements have been lessened and relaxed and bent and broken for these two. I get the fact that they don't want to talk. But my daughter is six and even she understands that sometimes you have to do things you don't want. It's called life.

Again, clearly you don't care and you're not obligated to. It doesn't impact you or your life or your job if they never speak to the press again, and I understand that. But rest assured if every all-star player in MLS just blew off apperarances and refused to talk to the media, it would impact the league and the media that cover it. And that media contingent would shrink, starting with this "bit of a diva" here.

Trane

Trane

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can see the reasoning behind both sides here. Players coming over from Europe are simply not accustomed to speaking to the media so often. They also might not trust the reporters (in places like England where Henry spent a good chunk of his career, the "reporting" by the media is hardly distinguishable from the tabloids).

On the other hand, NYRB and the MLS in general might benefit from having the star players be more visible. If Henry was someone who sat down at a podium for 30 minutes after each game answering questions, maybe that would lead to an increase in reporting in the morning papers. Who knows, maybe there's some outlets that don't even bother sending writers to the games because they know all they will have the next day is a 1 paragraph recap without any player quotes to spruce it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users