• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Gonna be a looooooooong week

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RBAlbany

RBAlbany

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:Coaching Soccer
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USA
Anybody upstate - I don't mean Westchester!! I plan on catching the game at the Beirgarten in Albany. Anybody joining me??

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
The first 2-3 weeks of the season always provide some incredibly ugly soccer. I'm going 1-0 to somebody, a bold prediction, I know.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The first 2-3 weeks of the season always provide some incredibly ugly soccer. I'm going 1-0 to somebody, a bold prediction, I know.

True...

Since 2004, only 2 Metro openers have seen more than 2 goals: 3-0 loss to Seattle in Seattle (opened their franchise). And the 2006 infamous 2-2 draw with DC United.

Since 2004, our only loss in an opening game was the 3-0 loss to Seattle. I think our record is 4-1-2 in opening games since '04. Pretty impressive given our overall level of mediocrity.

Given our success against Dallas and our opening game success over the years, NY are one of the few road teams with a chance to win in week 1. There have also been comments from the Dallas coaching staff about the lack of quality in their midfield. It's very thin outside of Hernandez and if Ferreia is able to go.

But as most know, MLS is one of the biggest draw leagues in the world. 34% of games during the 2011 season were draws. RBNY had 16 draws last season. A remarkable number... including 10 on the road.

Meanwhile 9 wins, 3 draws, and 5 losses at home. They earned 30 points at home in 2011, the same as RBNY did. But RBNY has had their number in recent years especially on the road earning one of their two road wins last season in Dallas.

I think RBNY have a real shot at the win here, but like any other game in MLS, a tie is a real possibility. 1-0 or 1-1 is the most likely result.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
if we tie on the road, and win at home all season, i will be perfectly happy with that

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Just heard an ad for the game on the radio on WFAN, Francessa's show.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Just heard an ad for the game on the radio on WFAN, Francessa's show.

I've heard from multiple people today that their have been ads to watch the opening game this weekend.

Are there ads to buy tickets for the home opener too?

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
Ferreira's back with FCD, and he was pretty fucking awesome, I wonder if he's back to full fitness, if so, that could be trouble.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Ferreira's back with FCD, and he was pretty fucking awesome, I wonder if he's back to full fitness, if so, that could be trouble.

He played last week. The next day he was in a walking boot. Coach said it was not because of his broken ankle but rather an injured calf because he got kicked so much.

I read an article where the Dallas coach said he was 50/50 and if he didn't start, they'd start Brek Shea up to with Blas Perez.

Take from that what you like.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
The only great memories I have of last season are from our games with Dallas. Henry's game-tying golazo at RBA, the team's late-season victory at PHP that initiated a good stretch of form, and of course, Ballouchy messing with everyone's minds in the playoffs... Wish we could play them every week.

Ithics

Ithics

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Helpless yelling
  • Supports:Metro etc.

I read something a couple of weeks ago when he was back in full training, where the coaches were saying he's basically playing through pain when he plays, for the next few months at least. If we're going to come up against him at all, now is the time to do it - not least when he's still getting his confidence back and may be cautious about his physical limits.

Though he'll also be relieved that his MLS comeback is against our central midfield, rather than say, Philadelphia's...
"I guess everybody has their own thing that they yell into a well", Bill Callahan

It's the hope I can't stand.

Grimnitz

Grimnitz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hertha BSC, FC Harlem
Metro beats FCD 0:1
"What do I have to do to get you into my van?"~Konrad

“Sellouts are extremely important to us for what we're trying to start here.”-Chris Heck
http://www.facebook.com/VikingArmySC

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
didn't know he was nursing the injury still.

thx

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Telegraphed

Telegraphed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts
Lots of optimism I'm reading here. I'm not entirely sold on the Henry/Cooper pairing, I think they are all too similiar style players (one much better than the other of course). I'm not sold on Tainio's early season fitness, and I think Shea can run wild at Solli and a hobbled (or able) Miller.

F___ it. 2-0 to the metro. Henry and Holgersson (!)

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

I will be there sitting behind the Metro bench. Probably giving Death Ray eyes to Backe.

There'll be a few thousand people pissing you off more than he will be.

Big D Soccer: Lamar's Tailgate

For the New York Red Bulls game there will be vuvuzelas to the first 5,000 fans.

FC Dallas would make the list of teams who have worse FOs than us, no?

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users