27 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

So the link is easily accessible, I have a google doc set up tracking our current roster and cap space situation based on the disclosures we know.  Generally this is a worst case scenario spreadsheet, because it assumes we had no leftover allocation money.  All of the assumptions are in the workbook.

Will update as soon as I can after each new signing we make in the future.  

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

So the link is easily accessible, I have a google doc set up tracking our current roster and cap space situation based on the disclosures we know.  Generally this is a worst case scenario spreadsheet, because it assumes we had no leftover allocation money.  All of the assumptions are in the workbook.

Will update as soon as I can after each new signing we make in the future.  

1MM for veron. Boggles my mind.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

His annual salary isn't that much, MLS also spreads transfer fees out over the player's contract as part of their cap hit, and we paid $2M. MLSPU reports his salary at $500k. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

At the time, it was the sort of move we'd typically applaud.    After Henry, we desperately needed to get a left mid to balance the attack.    Everything was going through Sam on the right - the left side was where attacks went to die.  Grella hadn't shown a hint of being Grella yet.  They went out and spent money on a young, unknown international instead of an over the hill "name" player.    All very good.   Then Grella locked down a spot, BWP was setting records, and Jesse couldn't find a place for Veron anywhere else.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Veron is on his third ( second full season) . He looked awesome before injury in the preseason and looked like a starter. That 2 mil transfer though seems to be biting us in the beck. Is Veron at th end of his contract? If so, I'm guessing his transfer will no longer affect the cap if he returns? The salary cap is like a science.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Veron is on his third ( second full season) . He looked awesome before injury in the preseason and looked like a starter. That 2 mil transfer though seems to be biting us in the beck. Is Veron at th end of his contract? If so, I'm guessing his transfer will no longer affect the cap if he returns? The salary cap is like a science.

I am neutral on Veron but I am curious about this Veron looked awesome in pre-season narrative.  Last year we played mostly lower level teams including some college and D3 teams so not suprising he looked good.  

I do think he will be much better this year

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Veron looked best as a striker. But I'm down with BWP - you know me. Veron to the bench confirmed.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Verón has not been worth the money.

But we wanted a $1m player from South America instead of overpriced European has-beens....

I don't have an issue with the attempt, but it would be nice to see some results.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Veron did give some reason for optimism towards the later part of last year.

And as hurricane mentioned, he did look best at striker. But I do think he could be good outside as well.  He's imposing his will more often.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

defender where'd you get the $375k in TAM for Collin?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Can anyone map the xAM money an determine how much of it could simply be applied to buying down DP salaries, and how much is restricted for other uses?   Becuase these cheap bastards would happily apply all the funny money possible to avoid spending any real cash over the cap.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Can anyone map the xAM money an determine how much of it could simply be applied to buying down DP salaries, and how much is restricted for other uses?   Becuase these cheap bastards would happily apply all the funny money possible to avoid spending any real cash over the cap.

If I've got this right, I believe with our current roster we could only use TAM on the cheapest of our four players making above the DP threshold, likely Collin. TAM rules, at least how they were initially laid out in 2015, say that you can only use TAM on a player if you also invest in a DP making the same or more. So you can't just use TAM to buy down all DP salaries, only those past the three filled spots. Assuming Collin isn't making much more than the $500k he was on previously, we'll be swimming in TAM the next few seasons.

That leaves, at least according to defender's best guess, $700k in GAM to pay down the remaining DP salaries. If we assume that we can only apply GAM to Veron's actual wages and not his transfer fee, we could pay all DP salaries under the league cap and still have about $200k left for the rest of the squad this year.

But honestly, I don't see what else they could possibly be using the GAM for other than paying down DP salaries. There's nothing to indicate that the rest of the squad is pushing us up against the cap for next year even without using a drop of GAM, so there's no need to use it on the expensive-but-not-DP level players. Only other explanation would be if they are just gonna keep hoarding GAM to use for future signings or trade-bait.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

defender where'd you get the $375k in TAM for Collin?

Will try to keep this brief. So according to all the reading I've done the optimizing cap space would works as follows: (and the model is set up accordingly)

- Since MLS covers all non DP salaries, teams have no incentive to not spend close to the cap, therefore using GAM or TAM to so you have additional cap space remaining is a useless exercise
- After you use your cap space the next thing you will want to spend is TAM for two main reasons (1) It can only be used on players who earn more than the max salary (2) most of the TAM given out by the league expires so you cannot save it over multiple seasons like GAM.  So if you don't use it, you lose it

- Lastly you have the holy grail of GAM that can be used for everything and anything.  For both GAM and TAM you can use it to buy player salaries down to 150k

So what I did with in the sheet is set it up to use all of our cap space first, and if we are over the cap it automatically uses GAM (since that can be used on anything). Currently we have 4.1 million of salary (over 3.845 million cap). However, because Collin's previous salary was over the max salary, instead of using GAM to reduce the cap hit, I used TAM to get us cap compliant preserving the more liquid asset.  Theoretically I don't have to reduce Collin's salary to the lowest possible cap hit, but since we have so much TAM there is no point of not buying it down completely to save GAM for future use. Lastly, with anyone over max salary we have to reduce their cap charge to the at least the max salary because we have 3 players eligible to be a DP (however if we purchased a new DP we could easily buy down BWP or Sacha with TAM)

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

If I've got this right, I believe with our current roster we could only use TAM on the cheapest of our four players making above the DP threshold, likely Collin. TAM rules, at least how they were initially laid out in 2015, say that you can only use TAM on a player if you also invest in a DP making the same or more. So you can't just use TAM to buy down all DP salaries, only those past the three filled spots. Assuming Collin isn't making much more than the $500k he was on previously, we'll be swimming in TAM the next few seasons.

That leaves, at least according to defender's best guess, $700k in GAM to pay down the remaining DP salaries. If we assume that we can only apply GAM to Veron's actual wages and not his transfer fee, we could pay all DP salaries under the league cap and still have about $200k left for the rest of the squad this year.

But honestly, I don't see what else they could possibly be using the GAM for other than paying down DP salaries. There's nothing to indicate that the rest of the squad is pushing us up against the cap for next year even without using a drop of GAM, so there's no need to use it on the expensive-but-not-DP level players. Only other explanation would be if they are just gonna keep hoarding GAM to use for future signings or trade-bait.

Basically spot on.  We are hoarding AM and really should only be signing TAM or DP eligible players for remaining roster spots

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Wow. Nice work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users