26 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He stayed here for 7 years under three different regimes for a second division developmental arm. There is no evidence to indicate there was anything nefarious a play here. We have no idea what's going on here. He could have a better job offer elsewhere. He could be leaving for medical reasons. He and Thelwell could have agreed it was just time for both to change things up with no bad ill will either way. Aside from being hysterical and based in no evidence, it's honestly unfair to Wolyniec to make him a pawn in everyone else's neurotic agenda.

The evidence is that our owners are the scum of the fucking earth.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

The evidence is that our owners are the scum of the fucking earth.

so our owners seeming dont care enough but also care enough the fire the reserve team manager

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,044 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

so our owners seeming dont care enough but also care enough the fire the reserve team manager

Did anyone say he was fired?   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

The question is not if the owners care, it's what do the owners care about? And I have begun to think that is player development and sales, with a hope to win a trophy as a bonus along the way. 

I do not think player development for sale and winning are necessarily mutually exclusive, but I think the owners are looking more at FC Dallas as a model.

If they use the $10mil from an Adams sale to buy a 27yo, peak of their game CAM then maybe my option changes, but a guy like Klimala just shows to me they are trying to turn a buck. 

This obviously not Woly related, but just wanted to get out there. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The question is not if the owners care, it's what do the owners care about? And I have begun to think that is player development and sales, with a hope to win a trophy as a bonus along the way. 

I do not think player development for sale and winning are necessarily mutually exclusive, but I think the owners are looking more at FC Dallas as a model.

If they use the $10mil from an Adams sale to buy a 27yo, peak of their game CAM then maybe my option changes, but a guy like Klimala just shows to me they are trying to turn a buck. 

we are about to beat the dead horse again haha. 

That said idk how you can say are owners are looking as FCD as a model from a first team perspective.  Our worse year in the last decade is better than the majority of seasons they've had this decade. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

We can crap on them all we want about on spending, money, ect... But flying under the radar (not really - but its not talked about enough in the #RedBullOut movement) is just how little Red Bull has done to grown the popularity of this club. It's like they don't even try. It has been over a decade since RBA opened and has the club gotten any popular? If anything, I would argue that we are actually more irrelevant now than when RBA opened. Red Bull has done NOTHING off the field to try to make this club relevant. No marketing, no presence in the city. Nothing.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,321 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we are actually more irrelevant now than when RBA opened. Red Bull has done NOTHING off the field to try to make this club relevant. No marketing, Nothing.

No one likes us. Even the owners. We don't care.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

we are about to beat the dead horse again haha. 

That said idk how you can say are owners are looking as FCD as a model from a first team perspective.  Our worse year in the last decade is better than the majority of seasons they've had this decade. 

Ha - I'm saying moving forward. I *feel* like this incarnation of the RBNY operating strategy would have BWP sold after 2015. Henry never would have come. Kemar would have been sold in 2016. I doubt Sasha would have been signed. 

Put alot of emphasis on the FEEL, but thats where I am at... now if the sign a big player with marginal future profit potential, then I'll eat my crow.  

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The "not enough marketing" take always confuses me.  What kind of marketing do people think is going to make people fans of this team?  Who is the targeted demographic? Who on this board has ever become a fan of any team even in part based on a targeted team directed marketing campaign?  I just do not know of a single team that has built a large and vibrant fan base through marketing, much less an unpopular team that has revitalized itself through some sort of novel marketing campaign.  

Some people seem to think that if you just throw enough money at marketing any garbage product, you can make it popular and more importantly worth the marketing investment.  That is just not the case.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,554 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The "not enough marketing" take always confuses me.  What kind of marketing do people think is going to make people fans of this team?  Who is the targeted demographic? Who on this board has ever become a fan of any team even in part based on a targeted team directed marketing campaign?  I just do not know of a single team that has built a large and vibrant fan base through marketing, much less an unpopular team that has revitalized itself through some sort of novel marketing campaign.  

Some people seem to think that if you just throw enough money at marketing any garbage product, you can make it popular and more importantly worth the marketing investment.  That is just not the case.  

I don't know if people are really talking about marketing in the traditional sense of commercials or billboards, but a broader attempt to at least remind people in the area that we even exist. When you go to Seattle or Atlanta, their logos are everywhere. Nearly every sports bar in Atlanta had an Atlanta United flag hanging somewhere. Maybe "engagement" is a better word than "marketing"? 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I don't know if people are really talking about marketing in the traditional sense of commercials or billboards, but a broader attempt to at least remind people in the area that we even exist. When you go to Seattle or Atlanta, their logos are everywhere. Nearly every sports bar in Atlanta had an Atlanta United flag hanging somewhere. Maybe "engagement" is a better word than "marketing"? 

Those teams are much bigger fisher in smaller ponds.  RBNY has to compete for that space with 10 other professional teams in the market, 9 of which page in leagues with far more money and popularity in this market.  Atlanta is the 4th biggest team in their market and thus the 4th flag to go up.  Seattle is 2nd or 3rd.  RBNY is at best 10th and probably 11th in this market, so you have to have a lot of space to fit all that in before the Red Bulls get a shot.

This logo in the bar concept is a good analogy for the bigger problem which is competing for attention from people's brains.  RBNY has to rise above a whole bunch of more popular. established, and well funded  sports/entertainment options than Atlanta and Seattle ever will have to.  All of those other teams are even more well funded than RBNY and obviously have an interest in doing the same sort of marketing.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

The team is the only real marketing tool. People come out for two reasons: to see superstars or a dominant team with a chance at winning big. Especially in the NY metro. People came out to see Henry, Cahill, and eventually BWP. They arent coming out to see Klimala, Wiki, and Nealis. And they certainly arent coming out to see the dominant team in the league when they come to RBA. Sign an aging Neymar, Lewandowski, or De Bruyne and people will come out

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

As The Metrologist once noted: "Nobody buys a billboard to advertise their billboard".
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,321 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I just do not know of a single team that has built a large and vibrant fan base through marketing

Have you actually done any research on this?
How did Metro draw huge crowds in 1996?
How did Atlanta United develop its huge fan base from nothing? Other new MLS franchises? NYCFC?
How did KC rebrand & rebuild its fan base?
Not sure, but Colorado & Salt Lake?
This is not limited to MLS. Las Vegas & Seattle developed sold-out NHL arenas from nothing.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

I mean yes but its not unique to New York thats how literally all of their teams are built

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users