Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

New York Red Bulls snubbed.

@BrianStraus

Keane, Martins and Nguyen the MLS MVP finalists. 27 goals not enough to crack the list this year. Berhalter, Olsen, Schmid up for Coach.

#MLS award nominations for remaining clubs: @SoundersFC 4, @LAGalaxy 4, @NERevolution 3, @NewYorkRedBulls 0

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Honestly, I don't think BWP warrants MVP, in spite of his amazing season. But I think if he were an American on a different team he would have cracked the top 3. 

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

B25RJ3OCQAIEkmp.png

Suck my fucking dick, MLS. I hope BWP scores a hat trick Saturday.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
If BWP is "just a product of playing with Henry" as some allege then why isn't TH14 a candidate? I mean if he can make any bum a goalscorer doesn't he deserve the award?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

If BWP was American he would be shanking a wide open shot to advance to the quarterfinals of the World Cup. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I don't think he should win it.  However, I hope it pisses him off to no end and he lights it up in this series.  :D

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

TBF, he's not been the MVP of his own team... but he does deserve a nod, at least.   Good to see the players acknowledge Henry, at least.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Disappointing but not surprising. BWP has obviously been the best pure goalscorer in the league this season by a good margin, but you can argue that he's not as "complete" of a player as the remaining finalists. 

Wondo did win MVP for his 2012 record-tying season, but he also had more assists than BWP and SJ won the SS that year. I think BWP needed a little something else to nudge him into the final conversation.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I think you guys are way underestimating him. He works very hard to get in good scoring opportunities. There is a lot more skill there than you are giving him credit for. That said, Henry was a bit tongue in cheek when he said Bradley should have scored 50. With a little better finishing he would have crushed the record.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I think you guys are way underestimating him. He works very hard to get in good scoring opportunities. There is a lot more skill there than you are giving him credit for. That said, Henry was a bit tongue in cheek when he said Bradley should have scored 50. With a little better finishing he would have crushed the record.

Yup - no one finishes all their chances, but 35 or more was very realistic for him this year.    That said, his finishing is statistically damn good - he had a higher % of his shots on goal than Keane or Dwyer,  and a much higher goals/shot  than either of them (25% vs 19% and 16%), higher than anyone in the top 10 of goals scored.   He was at 25%, while the next 9 top goal scorers averaged just 19%.    1-fo-4 vs. one 1-for-5 is a HUGE difference in quality.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

I'd rather win the MLS Cup then have the players win individual season awards.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Yup - no one finishes all their chances, but 35 or more was very realistic for him this year.    That said, his finishing is statistically damn good - he had a higher % of his shots on goal than Keane or Dwyer,  and a much higher goals/shot  than either of them (27% vs 19% and 16%), higher than anyone in the top 10 of goals scored.  

And as I pointed out earlier (in the most hated former metro thread), the best goals per minute in team history.

I want the Cup over awards, but our fans should be very proud of what BWP accomplished. It is very hard and happened too often for it to be based merely on  the largess of Henry. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I'd rather win the MLS Cup then have the players win individual season awards.

I'd bet every player would agree

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

Lee should win it but BWP should have been among the Finalist.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

So let me get this straight:

2012 - Chris Wondolowski Stats: 32GP, 2813 Minutes, 27 goals, 55 shots on goal (43% of all shots were on goal), 5 goals out of 7 PK attempts, 0 playoff goals, Martin Chavez has 13 assists for the team = Wins league MVP with 91% of the vote.

2014 - BWP Stats: 32GP, 240 less minutes (or about 3 games less), 57 shots on goal (53% of all shots were on goal), 6 goals out of 6 PK attempts, 3 playoff goals (and counting), Thierry Henry has 14 assists for the team = Not even a MVP nomination.

Oh, by the way, Lee Nguyen, the "favorite" for MVP scored or assisted on 23 goals this season, Henry scored or assisted on 24 goals...

Back in 2012, Henry was at 27 goals or assists and received less than 10% of the MVP vote, to the guy whose stats fell short of BWP's 2014 season.

Go F*ck yourselves MLS

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users