• Supports:Redbulls
2 supporter shields in 3 years. 5 straight playoff appearances. I don't get it

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Mike Petke and the salary cuts are what did it, despite the results.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That or Cuntis. But, Cuntis is a product of the drink, so...

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
No doubt terrible moves. I hate them. But damn we are spoiled if best regular season record gets you bum if the year. Like we are not philly or colorado. The team has been pretty damn good over the past 5 years. Just because they are not doing it the way we want doesn't make the results less impressive.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

As long as the team is called Red Bull New York and has the Red Bull logo in the team's logo,  Red Bull should remain the Bum of the year...every year.

If they want to own the team and call it something else with a different logo, then it would be a different story.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
Is redbull bum of the year if they win MLS cup?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Easy now, campers! 

MLS has 3 domestic championships  available annually for its clubs.  For the first 17 seasons, we barely got sniff of any of them.  Two cup finals, both of which ended in defeat.  Frustration grew, and many drifted away from an organization that never seemed to make building a winning team its priority.  Finally, the unthinkable occurred.  Due to the failure of big-name coaches to drink the RB Kool-Aid, even from a silver chalice, the Head Coach job was given to one of our heroes.  Against all odds and expectations, the team finally won something!  Oh, joy!  ... Oh, fleeting joy ...

Then, a playoff win over DC meant nothing, as losing on aggregate to the Revs (not for the first time) was viewed as systemic failure.  So, it was 'out with the old, in with the new', and in finest 'baby with the bathwater' tradition, our coach & hero was jettisoned. 

The hate was strong, from all sides.  Some never accepted Petke, preferring a 'real' coach with a resume of failure at other top clubs.  Some loved Mike without reservation.  Well, some at first, because a few turned on him in 2014, as we finished 4th in the East & lost in the playoffs.  I was surprised to hear so many critical of the team's performances over the two seasons, particularly when compared to the constant failures in the previous 17 seasons, which included a few that truly tried our souls.

So, I found myself standing outside RBA on a cold evening, holding a pitchfork in one hand & distributing 'Curtis Must Go #Red Bull Out' t-shirts with the other.  Despite the after-the-fact reports of massive protests, it was clear even then that many had swallowed the Kool-Aid.  Some were openly hostile to us, others dismissive, while many took a wait-and-see posture. 

Then, the season began.  Off on a good note, then a usual downtown, but finally success, in a second Supporter's Shield!  For those who dismiss it as a minor achievement, I will tell you that when I read that the shield was going to be in Chicago, I bought my airline ticket & joined the die-hard core of away supporters, mostly VA if truth be told, who I knew would be there.  An epic night, including an epic after-party.  Thanks to GSU for hooking me up with a ticket & accommodations.

Then, the final disappointment.  Uninspired efforts in both legs, and a final Metro moment as an offside (uncalled) header came back off the post. 

A quiet train ride home, and a long talk with USReject at the station, trying to figure out what game to attend next.  I didn't want to go home, because I knew that I'd be watching the injury time video again & again.  Blew off Monday, finally started to relax yesterday.  I've literally had chest pains.  I know it's only my heart breaking, once again.  Don't know why, but it actually felt worse than watching from their newly-minted supporters section, as the Mets lost game 5 in extras. 

So, back to the theme of this thread.  Who to blame? 

I read Jesse's comments, and wonder.  I read Dax's, and admire.  And forgive all.

Because, ultimately, the only one to blame, is myself. 

For loving a sport that I never played, and still don't completely understand, technically.  For overinvesting in a club, (more than a team), that never seems to get it, when it comes to the passions of its fans.  For travelling by car, van, bus, train, airplane & now subway to away games.  For building vacations around road trips.  For making great friends, and joining great SGs, out of a mutual love for the team.  For missing our Angels. who gave so much for this team: Eddie, Bill, Cesar & now Mike.

Is this it, then?  Should I walk away, joining many who I still admire, but who have had enough?  I run into them sometimes, in New England, at Yankee Stadium, at Cosmos games.  It is possible to reach a breaking point?  I almost did, this past off-season.  Others have.

Or step back, not renewing the ST, cutting back on road trips, staying off the message boards, finding seats @ RBA outside the South Ward? 

Nope.  I don't have that in me.  I've been to the bottom, & the top (IMO) with this team.  I'm hanging in there.  I don't know why, but I'll be back.

See you next year.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Easy now, campers! 
MLS has 3 domestic championships  available annually for its clubs.  For the first 17 seasons, we barely got sniff of any of them.  Two cup finals, both of which ended in defeat.  Frustration grew, and many drifted away from an organization that never seemed to make building a winning team its priority.  Finally, the unthinkable occurred.  Due to the failure of big-name coaches to drink the RB Kool-Aid, even from a silver chalice, the Head Coach job was given to one of our heroes.  Against all odds and expectations, the team finally won something!  Oh, joy!  ... Oh, fleeting joy ...
Then, a playoff win over DC meant nothing, as losing on aggregate to the Revs (not for the first time) was viewed as systemic failure.  So, it was 'out with the old, in with the new', and in finest 'baby with the bathwater' tradition, our coach & hero was jettisoned. 
The hate was strong, from all sides.  Some never accepted Petke, preferring a 'real' coach with a resume of failure at other top clubs.  Some loved Mike without reservation.  Well, some at first, because a few turned on him in 2014, as we finished 4th in the East & lost in the playoffs.  I was surprised to hear so many critical of the team's performances over the two seasons, particularly when compared to the constant failures in the previous 17 seasons, which included a few that truly tried our souls.
So, I found myself standing outside RBA on a cold evening, holding a pitchfork in one hand & distributing 'Curtis Must Go #Red Bull Out' t-shirts with the other.  Despite the after-the-fact reports of massive protests, it was clear even then that many had swallowed the Kool-Aid.  Some were openly hostile to us, others dismissive, while many took a wait-and-see posture. 
Then, the season began.  Off on a good note, then a usual downtown, but finally success, in a second Supporter's Shield!  For those who dismiss it as a minor achievement, I will tell you that when I read that the shield was going to be in Chicago, I bought my airline ticket & joined the die-hard core of away supporters, mostly VA if truth be told, who I knew would be there.  An epic night, including an epic after-party.  Thanks to GSU for hooking me up with a ticket & accommodations.
Then, the final disappointment.  Uninspired efforts in both legs, and a final Metro moment as an offside (uncalled) header came back off the post. 
A quiet train ride home, and a long talk with USReject at the station, trying to figure out what game to attend next.  I didn't want to go home, because I knew that I'd be watching the injury time video again & again.  Blew off Monday, finally started to relax yesterday.  I've literally had chest pains.  I know it's only my heart breaking, once again.  Don't know why, but it actually felt worse than watching from their newly-minted supporters section, as the Mets lost game 5 in extras. 
I read Jesse's comments, and wonder.  I read Dax's, and admire.  And forgive all.
For loving a sport that I never played, and still don't completely understand, technically.  For overinvesting in a club, (more than a team), that never seems to get it, when it comes to the passions of its fans.  For travelling by car, van, bus, train, airplane & now subway to away games.  For building vacations around road trips.  For making great friends, and joining great SGs, out of a mutual love for the team.  For missing our Angels. who gave so much for this team: Eddie, Bill, Cesar & now Mike.
Is this it, then?  Should I walk away, joining many who I still admire, but who have had enough?  I run into them sometimes, in New England, at Yankee Stadium, at Cosmos games.  It is possible to reach a breaking point?  I almost did, this past off-season.  Others have.
Or step back, not renewing the ST, cutting back on road trips, staying off the message boards, finding seats @ RBA outside the South Ward? 
Nope.  I don't have that in me.  I've been to the bottom, & the top (IMO) with this team.  I'm hanging in there.  I don't know why, but I'll be back.
See you next year.

I'm of the same position. I Wanted nothing to do with the club after Petke firing.

But if winning won't satisfy some fans out there why root for the club. Because the bottom line here is that they are winning. Not up one year down the next.. like this is a consistent winner. You can't ask for anything more. Maybe a new stadium or world class players. Oh wait...

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
DP doesnt blow his knee out, we make the cup final. Then, who knows.

That's the biggest factor I think.

I truly believe in the statement "defense wins championships". DP was a rock in the back for us. That crappy goal 10 seconds in against Columbus would have never happened on his watch. Mark it down.

I can't wait for next season.

anamorican

anamorican

Agent of Nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:Monster
I know he didn't make a lot games this year, but matador has been putting in too many hard hours in German gyms to not be in consideration for Bum Of The Year.

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Is redbull bum of the year if they win MLS cup?

People see the team and the ownership as two separate entities. Fans here like to support the players on the field that represent the local professional team and a franchise they've supported since long before the current ownership.

Despite supporting the players, many here are not fans of the ownership. The biggest reason being the name of the team, and marketing being the primary reason for ownership. Also the ownership, as always, made many head-scratching moves this season. That's how they (the owners not the players) end up as bum of the year.

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Easy now, campers! 
See you next year.

Except for traveling to away games this is me and how I feel. I couldn't even bring myself to come here on MF all week cuz I'm just empty. I won't say heartbroken cuz only a girl- at least in my case- can do that. A team, because the love ain't mutual, can't. They just leave you empty. And I hate that feeling. I was so sure this was the year. I just can't believe with a chance to win the cup at home they blew it.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Personally, I was kind of shocked that Red Bull's ownership of the team actually has succeeded at their primary mission: To increase sales of Red Bull soda in the tri-state area.  As long as that stays true, then Red Bull is going to keep on owning the team.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Personally, I was kind of shocked that Red Bull's ownership of the team actually has succeeded at their primary mission: To increase sales of Red Bull soda in the tri-state area.  As long as that stays true, then Red Bull is going to keep on owning the team.

Is this true?  I would be interested in seeing the statistics.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

DP doesnt blow his knee out, we make the cup final. Then, who knows.

That's the biggest factor I think.

I truly believe in the statement "defense wins championships". DP was a rock in the back for us. That crappy goal 10 seconds in against Columbus would have never happened on his watch. Mark it down.

I can't wait for next season.

I disagree about DP.

To be as healthy as we were most of the season is probably more fortunate than most clubs in the league. I think eventually our lack of depth in some positions and inability to diversify our 'uptempo, winning soccer' when we were finally matched by an opponent who could diffuse it is what did us in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users