49 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

My concern isn't about fitness, it's about Adams having to maybe learn a new position, and a position requiring him to be in synch with everyone around him.   If  we keep him as a wingback, I have less concern.

Because of the way MLS is set up we can play like dog vomit for the first half of the year and be fine. So Im not worried about any adjustments that need time at the start of the season. At least not in terms of Open Cup, Shield or MLS Cup. Champions League is obviously a different story.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Because of the way MLS is set up we can play like dog vomit for the first half of the year and be fine. So Im not worried about any adjustments that need time at the start of the season. At least not in terms of Open Cup, Shield or MLS Cup. Champions League is obviously a different story.

If we're gonna talk about the shield, early points are just as important as later points. And considering how dangerously close we came to missing the playoffs last year, I'm not sure we should be comfortable giving up early points through that lens either.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If we're gonna talk about the shield, early points are just as important as later points. And considering how dangerously close we came to missing the playoffs last year, I'm not sure we should be comfortable giving up early points through that lens either.

True except we have 2 shields already and I dont think anyone gives a dump about a third.

Lots of teams have poor stretches in league play and still win MLS Cup. So if I have to choose between being hot at the start of the season or the end of the season well...

And losing Adams for nats duty will NOT have an effect on our playoff chances. Injuries, poor management, poor or few good signings, no one else pulling their weight...THAT is what will cost us. Not one of our best players going to nats camp.

Back to the original question though YES losing Adams to the national team could possibly hurt us in terms of the Champions League since he wouldnt have as much time with our new players and or playing centrally this season.

But what are we gonna do? Tell him he cant go? I dont think thats a good business practice. If you want to have really good players on your roster then youre going to lose them to nats duty. Period.

Moving along...

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

True except we have 2 shields already and I dont think anyone gives a dump about a third.

A Shield in 2018 is meaningless on all levels too, because it doesn't even get a team into the 2019 Champions League.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

A Shield in 2018 is meaningless on all levels too, because it doesn't even get a team into the 2019 Champions League.

I thought East and West Champs, Open Cup, and MLS Cup winners got in. We are going to miss 2019 League, since we did neither of these things this past season, but shield (and East title) this year will get us to 20 Champion's League. Did that change?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I thought East and West Champs, Open Cup, and MLS Cup winners got in. We are going to miss 2019 League, since we did neither of these things this past season, but shield (and East title) this year will get us to 20 Champion's League. Did that change?

We'll get in as defending Champions League winner

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Because the tournament switched from fall-spring to a calendar year tournament, they basically skipped a year of qualification.  The 2019 entrants from MLS were originally the 2017 and 2018 MLS Cup winners and the 2017 and 2018 US Open Cup winners.  Because Toronto won MLS Cup in 2017, one of those spots will be given to the American team with the best aggregate record over 2017 and 2018.

In short, only 1 of the US bids for the 2019 tournament has been clinched.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Because the tournament switched from fall-spring to a calendar year tournament, they basically skipped a year of qualification.  The 2019 entrants from MLS were originally the 2017 and 2018 MLS Cup winners and the 2017 and 2018 US Open Cup winners.  Because Toronto won MLS Cup in 2017, one of those spots will be given to the American team with the best aggregate record over 2017 and 2018.

In short, only 1 of the US bids for the 2019 tournament has been clinched.

Thanks for clarification. And we were so close to being that team :)

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Psh I want the shield again and again and again. Not the oldest trophy, but the most legit, and indicative of a fun ass season. Collecting the full set of hardware would will be nice, though.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

To each their own, but I would love to win the Shield again. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Any of USOC, MLSCup or Shield would do nicely.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I want the one that gives us a star over our crest - i.e. the one that every team plays for - i.e. MLS Cup

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Have to agree that a Supporters Shield wouldn't do much for me in 2018. MLS Cup or US Open Cup would be memorable.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Count me in with those who want to see another Shield win.  That one's the most legit in my book.

I also want them to win the other championships too.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
If we had all 3 of them I'd probably prefer the Shield most. Until then,give me the MLS Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users