1029 replies to this topic

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
That's the biggest misunderstanding of the rule. It's not that you have to be behind the last defender, it's that you have to be behind the second man. Obviously in this he was ahead of the keeper when the ball was played, therefore he's offside. Great call by the refs.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This game has been officiated perfectly thus far.

I thought there should of been a yellow given to South Africa earlier in the half on a poor tackle, but otherwise I agree.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
BTW... Dos Santos looks very dangerous. He's had a very good half. If I'm Mexico, I'd put in Hernandez early in the half to double with Dos Santos.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
Shaun Bartlett sighting!!
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Shaun Bartlett sighting!!

It's a Metro, Metro, Metro Metro World (cup).

ReverendDanTPF

ReverendDanTPF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Supports:Metro Barca ManU D.Kyiv St.Pauli

Holy crap, the ESPN announcer doesn't understand the offside rule!

That's hilarious! As bad as any announcing ever.

Exactly. Fire Efan Ekoku. A WC color commentator should at least understand the offside rule, and be able to know that 1 defender is less than 2 defenders.
I'm sotally tober, ossifer!

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT
I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time until we see Blanco come on. It looks like a guaranteed goal to be assisted by him against the South African back line. They won't be able to deal with his quality.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
For those confused about the rule:

http://en.wikipedia......ion_football)

A player is in an offside position if he is in his opponents' half of the field and is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the next to last opponent.

The 2005 edition of the Laws of the Game included a new International Football Association Board decision that stated being "nearer to an opponent's goal line" meant that "any part of his head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent typically being the goalkeeper). The arms are not included in this definition."

Notice that's "typically" the keeper, not "always." Bad goalkeeping paid off in this instance, because the keeper played Vela offside.

ReverendDanTPF

ReverendDanTPF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
They had Shaun Bartlett's "resume" up on the screen... Why wasn't "Metro legend" one of the bullet points? :ph34r:

RBNY 4 LIFE

RBNY 4 LIFE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Chelsea

For those confused about the rule:

http://en.wikipedia......ion_football)

Notice that's "typically" the keeper, not "always." Bad goalkeeping paid off in this instance, because the keeper played Vela offside.

Thanks Metros 11 and Matrim55 for the info....I never knew. I guess because you don't see the Goalie as the second to last defender all that often.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts

Thanks Metros 11 and Matrim55 for the info....I never knew. I guess because you don't see the Goalie as the second to last defender all that often.

It's rare, but I bet Bouna gives us another crack at explaining this rule before the year is over!

Anyway, the ESPN guy should be fired. It's amazing that a professional could get that wrong.

FWIW, the ESPN.com guys on their gamecast got the call correct.

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
SA subs the leftback (not a great first half). Danleigh Borman checks out where WC2014 is being held.

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

It's rare, but I bet Bouna gives us another crack at explaining this rule before the year is over!

Yes, but the MLS ref will keep his flag down.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Anyway, the ESPN guy should be fired. It's amazing that a professional could get that wrong.

FWIW, the ESPN.com guys on their gamecast got the call correct.

Maybe not fired, but you'd figure someone in that studio would know the rule and correct him.

BTW, anyone watching on ESPN 3 lose audio as well?

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

ReverendDanTPF

ReverendDanTPF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hahaha. Efan Ekoku just tried to play it off like he "thought that it might have come off a South Africa head"... You didn't know the rule. Man up. He should have been subbed out at half-time for someone that sucks less....... like Ray Hudson. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users