251 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Marginal squad players weren't good enough so they got cut. It happens all over the world, but somehow it's an outrage here.

Like usual you and the rest of the cheerleaders have a narrow and myopic viewpoint and fail to see the larger picture. If you simply frame it as you did above, then yes it seems like no big deal.

However, the underlying issue here is that yet again our foreign manager and his midget director have shown a complete and utter disregard for our ckub's young players. This time it is an inexplicable cutting of two roster protected and cap exempt academy graduates for a bullshit excuse of needing to get them games somewhere else as if they are doing these kids a huge favor. They could have loaned them out if they were not in Hans plans this year.

The bigger issue is Han's seeming phobia of giving minutes to any young players in his sqaud and his outright contempt of these players. Last year Hans in the press called out his bench and declared them to be all but worthless....all of this without ever ACTUALLY playing any of them to give them a change to prove otherwise.

Read Dyer's article on BAS. It is clear what we have here is a foreign manger that seems to feel only Europeans can play this game and he is forcing an exodus of practically ever American born player on the books in favor of fringe European league players that have connections to his boss Soler.

You on the other hand, as per usual, just want to plug your ears and scream "alalalalalalalalallalaalalalla" and turn a blind eye to it all. God forbid you are critical of these decisions. Go fuck yourself.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

It's all about winning in 2012.

And we have seen this movie before. The manager and GM are under the gun and are willing to mortgage the future in order to chase the ghost of a championship now. It rarely works in any sport.

So who suffer? The fans do because we remain and when this fails the shitheads will be fired and leave and we get to have threads in a couple years looking back at the players we lost and the years we lost with these clowns in charge.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Hot looked terrible in the GA trip. And it looked bad when he couldnt get playing time for the reserve team last season.

Kassel at least looked decent. it will be interesting if peter vermes picks him up. peter was the GA coach.

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT
Seriously, they cut Kassel and Hot. Those two would have most likely struggled to get practice time minutes with the first team. I don't have a problem with this move either way - although I had high hopes for Kassel when we signed him. We all saw what he brought to the table last season... not much.

If they turn those two spots into something positive going forward, nobody will give a shit.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

And we have seen this movie before. The manager and GM are under the gun and are willing to mortgage the future in order to chase the ghost of a championship now. It rarely works in any sport.

So who suffer? The fans do because we remain and when this fails the shitheads will be fired and leave and we get to have threads in a couple years looking back at the players we lost and the years we lost with these clowns in charge.

You're crying over two reserves being cut, please try and put some things into perspective here. "Mortgaging the future", you've gotta be kidding me with that bro. Kassel and Hot wouldn't be the future of a USL-2 side judging from what we saw last season.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

You're crying over two reserves being cut, please try and put some things into perspective here. "Mortgaging the future", you've gotta be kidding me with that bro. Kassel and Hot wouldn't be the future of a USL-2 side judging from what we saw last season.

I'm sorry you will have to enlighten me on what "we saw" from last season for you to form that belief. All i know is the manager, who's credibility is highly suspect to begin with, says they and the other bench players were no good. How do you explain Dyer's article that sums up the entire mentality of the coaches and this organization? What young player could ever thrive in that environment?

People need to stop looking at this as "two reserves being cut", its bigger than that.

SmittyNNJ

SmittyNNJ

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Celtic

I'm sorry you will have to enlighten me on what "we saw" from last season for you to form that belief. All i know is the manager, who's credibility is highly suspect to begin with, says they and the other bench players were no good. How do you explain Dyer's article that sums up the entire mentality of the coaches and this organization? What young player could ever thrive in that environment?

People need to stop looking at this as "two reserves being cut", its bigger than that.

agreed. And yet players like Ballouchy, Nielson and Robinson were left on the roster last year providing little to nothing. Mind you, Ballouchy is still on this team, yet can't train with the team in Mexico, can't play 3 games in Canada, and can't complete a forward pass. However, he is given chance after chance, unlike our younger players.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA
The fact that we could not make any sort of trade for Hot or Kassel, plus the fact that neither has shown the fans or the coaching staff anything, makes me side with Soler/Backe on this call.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast of "The Evil Eponym".

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Kassel was giving up goals left and right when he actually did make the field. This coming from a guy who was billed as a defensive midfielder. He looked slow and unathletic to me. He doesn't seem to have the skill set necessary to play at this level.

We just signed Victor Palsson, a 20 yr old. Markus Holgersson, a 26 yr old. (Dudes who will actually see the light of day on this roster). We're getting better depth now so we can't mess with the Carlos Mendes' of the world. Regardless of whether they are homegrown or have been here for 15 years, if you're not good enough - you're not good enough.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Kassel was giving up goals left and right when he actually did make the field. This coming from a guy who was billed as a defensive midfielder. He looked slow and unathletic to me. He doesn't seem to have the skill set necessary to play at this level.

I wasn't aware Kassel played enough games to give up goals "left and right". What games and goals are you refering to? The game he filled in at right back (out of position) because Solli got injured?

We just signed Victor Palsson, a 20 yr old. Markus Holgersson, a 26 yr old. (Dudes who will actually see the light of day on this roster). We're getting better depth now so we can't mess with the Carlos Mendes' of the world. Regardless of whether they are homegrown or have been here for 15 years, if you're not good enough - you're not good enough.

How does signing either of those players effect keeping young American academy standouts on the cap and roster protected status?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
lets see where they land.

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

I wasn't aware Kassel played enough games to give up goals "left and right". What games and goals are you refering to? The game he filled in at right back (out of position) because Solli got injured?

Exactly. Sorry, but at this level you have to produce when called on - and he didn't. Also didn't see him shredding up anyone during his run in the US Open Cup. Sometimes you only get a couple of chances.

How does signing either of those players effect keeping young American academy standouts on the cap and roster protected status?

You don't keep a player on your roster just because he's free or American. You're assuming that these guys were good enough and we simply pissed them away. That's not the case here. We'd have traded these dudes if there was any real interest in either. People bitched about da Luz and Connor Chinn and look where they are at now. Just give some things a little perspective, seriously.

I know you may be getting attached to these dudes because they are our first couple of homegrown players but this shit is gonna be a revolving door. Most are gonna get dumped to the wayside and the few with talent will catch on. This is the way any other club in the world operates.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Or how about how angry everyone got when Tim Ward was traded? That doesn't seem like a big deal now, does it?

No, it's not a big deal, except last year, when Ward helped the Quakes upset us in the playoffs.

The point is that if you evaluate these moves one at a time, many of them make sense. But all these moves when added together paint a big picture of a team-building strategy that not only goes counter-intuitive to what has been successful in MLS, but has been a complete and utter failure for 16 years.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

markk

markk

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
And you have to wonder what kind of promises these kids were given when they left college. That's a calculus that doesn't need to happen in Europe.

SmittyNNJ

SmittyNNJ

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Celtic

No, it's not a big deal, except last year, when Ward helped the Quakes upset us in the playoffs.

The point is that if you evaluate these moves one at a time, many of them make sense. But all these moves when added together paint a big picture of a team-building strategy that not only goes counter-intuitive to what has been successful in MLS, but has been a complete and utter failure for 16 years.

lets also not forget, Ward is still in the league. He has some skills in order to pull that off and that is the depth we and consistency we'ver lacked...same old Metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users