Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

3 in the back? Interesting...

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Sometimes it is a matter of language:

Not just fail, but FAIL? Quite a bit of hyperbole.

"Gaping" hole? Again, the choice of words implies a big problem. The only hole that approaches that was the loss of Adams. On a one for one basis (new to roster) we are bringing up Casseres. On paper that is a net loss, though we will see how much once the season rolls along. We also have Rza for that spot who is no slouch and adds a bit more offensive firepower than Tyler did. The two of them will bear responsibility for filling the Adams role. A drop off, but gaping?

These were our holes spots needing improvement in the off season:

1) Replacing Adams. Discussed above

2) CB depth. Acquired Tarek and focused draft on defenders.

3) RW upgrade. Fail. Does Epps add anything we don't already have in Muyl/Valot/Ivan?

4) Outside back depth. Duncan back for Murillo support. Tarek adds LB depth

5) Depth behind BWP. White should improve and we just added speed with Jorgensen. Abang brought home, but...

How will Mines develop? Where will he play if he steps up?

Fernandez? Will he see any 1st team time?

Nealis is getting some good preseason playing time. Is he our 4th CB?

It feels like we have stocked our youth cupboard pretty well at striker, midfield and defense (not needed at goalie). Will anyone emerge this year?

Net net the big swing and a miss for me was at wing. Otherwise I think we are in decent shape and I think FAIL is a bit of an overstatement.

Players unlikely to improve from last season: BWP, Royer, Robles, Lawrence, Lade

Experienced with likely upside due to 2nd year with team: Kaku, Rza, Ivan, Parker, Valot, Bezecourt 

Still young enough to improve and likely to do so: Long, Davis, Murillo, Meara

Youth with strong chance to improve: Casseres, Muyl, Etienne, Mines, Duncan, White, Louro

New to RBNY with potential: Jorgensen, Tarek

Unknowns: Epps, Fernandez, Koffi, Draft Picks

Will he even be with us?: Abang

So I see room for improvement from the bulk of our team. Only BWP would I put in a "risk to take a step back" category. Of course there will be injuries and not everyone will improve. Players coming back from long injury periods are always question marks early on, but I think there is enough competition in most spots that we will field a competitive team.

Still hoping they will add an upgrade at wing in the summer if not now. The key will be how do we feel about this roster come the fall. Will we have gotten enough growth in key areas to have what it takes to go all the way? 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

FAIL? Quite a bit of hyperbole.

Griping and overstatement are the tools of the overinvested fan.

Will he even be with us?: A-bang 

Isnt he already a-goner?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Griping and overstatement are the tools of the overinvested fan.
Isnt he already a-goner?

I list him because he is still technically with us. For my crystal ball efforts on the new season I have assumed he is a-gone a-gain.  :P

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Is the new guy an all star winger?

Cause if not then...FAIL.

Also, for anyone thinking were good to go at outside back: We are not. Who knows what Taxi and Duncan will be like when they come back. That was a bad injury for Duncan. And Im surprised its taken Taxi this long to get ready. That concerns me. Murillo...who knows. Guy is a wild card with his European ambitions. They needed to sign another piece here. A legit piece. Its going to come back to haunt them at some point.

Needed a legit outside back and a winger. Got neither. FAIL.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Yeah, there are concerns with each outside back on the roster, but there's 5 in total. Also, Yanes can get promoted from the reserves, and imo, he'll do fine. 

Royer Valot Muyl Etienne Ivan Epps Mines on the wing. Looks like they're standing pat. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Also, for anyone thinking were good to go at outside back: We are not. Who knows what Taxi and Duncan will be like when they come back. That was a bad injury for Duncan. And Im surprised its taken Taxi this long to get ready. That concerns me. Murillo...who knows. Guy is a wild card with his European ambitions. They needed to sign another piece here. A legit piece. Its going to come back to haunt them at some point.

OK, see you in 2020

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Outside back- nah
LB 3 deep
RB 3 deep
Yanes possible and there are 1-2 academy kids
Also RJ Allen available :)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Outside back- nah
LB 3 deep
RB 3 deep
Yanes possible and there are 1-2 academy kids
Also RJ Allen available :)

Also Buckmaster is a tough RB

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Also Buckmaster is a tough RB

Forgot our best named RB!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

There are approximately 22 other MLS clubs who wish they had our outside back "problems." 

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

In many, many previous off-seasons, we'd turn over like 10-12 guys on the roster, and we'd complain that there was no continuity.  Teams like Houston, RSL etc. that kept their cores together were consistently competitive.  MLS has changed a bit since then, but continuity still is pretty valuable. Every year it seems like we lose 1 key guy (Dax, Sacha, Felipe, etc.), but we've also brought in some good guys to replace them (Adams from the USL team, then Parker, Kaku), and having the same system from Marsch to Armas supported by an academy that is playing that way as well, is a good thing. 

I wish they could've added some offensive spark, but I'm a lot happier with continuity than I am with us bringing in a camp roster of newbs that take half a season to gel together. I hope we sign a DP in the summer. I feel like we won't, but, anyway. 

So, I agree that this offseason wasn't spectacular, but calling it a fail is a bit harsh.  We have our same coach, same core, same style, same academy. Being able to play Beze & Valot again, maybe being able to call on some young players like Jorgensen or Ben Mines...it's not sexy, but I feel better than I did in many offseasons in the decade before Marsch got here, tbh.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Here are the 2018 minutes played for some of these players:

485 Bezecourt

360 Duncan

227 Ivan

220 White

97   Casseres

90   Mines

There has to be some untapped potential here.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Koko's standards might be a tad bit high, but its kind of encouraging that the additional cap resources from MLS and more ambitious owners have pushed the league to the point that we're even having a conversation about keeping 4 starting quality fullbacks on the roster. I feel like it wasn't that long ago you were lucky to have a decent player past the 14th spot on the roster.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Koko's standards might be a tad bit high, but its kind of encouraging that the additional cap resources from MLS and more ambitious owners have pushed the league to the point that we're even having a conversation about keeping 4 starting quality fullbacks on the roster. I feel like it wasn't that long ago you were lucky to have a decent player past the 14th spot on the roster.

Yeah this wouldnt be a discussion years back.

Sure my expectations arent realistic but just look at all the things that had to go wrong for us to lose that Atlanta series. If youre psychotic about preparation across the board then problems are less likely to pop up. Cover your ass. And when its covered cover it some more.

I mean sweet Jesus, a few years back was the constant harping about a plan b in attack and our situation at centerback too high a standard to hold the team to as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users