• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

If it was just Ireland having problems with the manager then I'd be more concerned, but it looks as though there are a few players on Villa who have issues.

And as mentioned, the Red Bulls are absolutely not going to be able to get any perfect player over here... If they are that flawless, then they wouldn't be looking at the possibility of coming over.

"Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish was told to "f*** off" by Stephen Ireland during Sunday's defeat at Newcastle, while winger Charles N'Zogbia also hit out on Twitter.

GettyImages
Charles N'Zogbia has struggled at Aston Villa
• Newcastle 2-1 Aston Villa

Ireland was replaced at half-time in the game at St James' Park, where he endured a horror spell on loan 12 months ago, and swore at McLeish after being blamed for the opening goal, scored by Demba Ba on the half-hour.

And N'Zogbia was clearly unhappy at being replaced by Emile Heskey in the 67th minute, too. The France winger, who spent five years at Newcastle, tweeted: "First time in my life, I'm not happy playing football."

McLeish tried to play down Ireland's outburst, saying: "I know he spoke back but, at the same time, players don't like to hear the manager screaming at them from the touchline. But I kick every ball. I'm passionate and I care. I wouldn't be so petty to take a player off for something like that if he is doing a fantastic job.

"When Guthrie side-stepped him to put the cross in, I thought Stevie should have been making that tackle or at least put a block on the cross. But it was clear at half-time that he didn't have the capacity to get close to people. He had an ankle problem.""

Well, I saw what McLeish saw, a poor defensive effort: lackluster. Was it his ankle or does he have a chronic attitude problem? Or only a problem with Mcleish?

Do we want Rafa II or Lindpere II?

I haven't seen Ireland enough to judge, but I hope our braintrust looks before they leap.

Teams win in soccer, not individuals.

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
Even if the braintrust wanted him, he would not come here-- so do not worry!

Giants3b

Giants3b

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:laying in the dirt
  • Supports:San Francisco Giants

Even if the braintrust wanted him, he would not come here-- so do not worry!

Well, why not?

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
strong ties to Europe, wages, he is still in demand, to young

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

strong ties to Europe, wages, he is still in demand, to young

strong ties? lulz, he's irish...

None of us know for sure if he would or wouldn't want to come here for sure, but you can't be so certain he wouldn't. NYC is an appealing place to live, MLS's image is improving and some people would rather be the big fish in a small pond.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

strong ties? lulz, he's irish...

None of us know for sure if he would or wouldn't want to come here for sure, but you can't be so certain he wouldn't. NYC is an appealing place to live, MLS's image is improving and some people would rather be the big fish in a small pond.

Agreed.

The good news/bad news is the same. I thought there was something like 1% chance of this happening, but after the admission of his brushup with his manager, it is clear that he is less than a happy camper and therefore more likely to move on. So our odds to get him, while still probably low (5-10%?), are greater than I previously thought. So the good news is he is more of a possibility than before, the bad news is that he if he comes available to us , that he will come with more baggage than we want.

Still probably just a dumb ass rumor started because he is unhappy, but it has been a fun one. :cheers:

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

So very true. We'd probably believe this rumor much more if he was closer to 30 yrs of age as well. I think that folks here are less sure of it happening since he's just in his mid-20s. Would be nice if we could get him, sign him to an 18 month contract with 2 option yrs at 90k a week.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros
Unless he's Lionel Messi, whats the difference if he makes 2.5 Million here or 2.5 Million in europe? MLS has shown that if you play well here you can still play in Europe if you so desire afterwards.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Unless he's Lionel Messi, whats the difference if he makes 2.5 Million here or 2.5 Million in europe? MLS has shown that if you play well here you can still play in Europe if you so desire afterwards.

I don't think the salary would be the hang up, but the transfer fee.

We got Henry and Rafa on frees. Ireland would be a big nut, and since he would provide no marketing clout, they would have to be damn well sure he was committed enough to bring it on the field every day, otherwise you are better off spending less to find a more productive, but less costly DP.

You don't want to spend millions to acquire the next Marcelo Vega.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro
Even the supporters are up in arms over McLeish. (Who looks like he could double for Simon Pegg BTW.)

eightyhoursaway

eightyhoursaway

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Celtic
http://www.balls.ie/...necall-to-make/

from an irish tabloid. also, i have no idea how to put a photo up so you're stuck clicking on the link.
"What these players have to realize, is that when you put on the Celtic jersey you're not playing for a football team, you're playing for a community and a cause" - Tommy Burns

JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
SKC's play-by-play man tweeted earlier today that he hears that Ireland will buy out his Villa contract and come to NY. He's deleted the second half of his tweet that mentions NY specifically due to the poor reading comprehension of some of his readership who thought that he was saying that HE is going to NY for the 2012 season when it was Ireland that he was referring to. Take it for what it is.

Call this boarder line ridiculous or completely sensational, but I hear Stephen Ireland is set to buy out his own contract at Villa AND....

— Callum Williams (@CalWilliamsSKC) February 8, 2012

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
That's interesting...

Would really like this guy on the squad. More swag... the better.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
I have to agree with others that this would be a much more intriguing & exciting signing than some 36 year old pre-retiree looking for his last pay check.

MetroTard

MetroTard

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Supports:Eric D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users