2014 replies to this topic

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

No simpleton...that was not what was bought. What was bought was the legal entity itself, the same one that has been kept active since the mid 70's, including all assets and holdings of the company. In 2010 Kemsley acquired ownership of the New York Cosmos (not just a name or trademark), similar to an investor buying a majority stake in an existing business. The entity itself has been kept alive ever since 1985, it never folded, disolved or ceased to exist. Pepe continued to run the New York Cosmos until 2010 and paid corporate taxes, and used the New York Cosmos entity to further some of his own camps and such. 

Come on, the Cosmos for 25 years were nothing more than a file folder and a check attached to a triplicate form sent to the revenue department of the State of New Jersey every so often.

I'll give you that the name and identity wasn't just hijacked by some opportunists -- it was just bought from Pepe for the right price by some opportunists. I'd be a little more convinced if the new Cosmos didn't feel like they were on a foundation of mud. It'll take a few stable years to convince me that they're some stable organization carrying the legacy, but hey, there are a good six or seven thousand people who are fully committed to what's going on, which are pretty solid 2nd division numbers, so some folks have bought in.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I used to live and die with the Cosmos.  It is funny how this thread makes me hate them.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Rochester used to have those numbers when they were mentioned initially for making the jump to MLS, right?  Does Rochester still get those numbers?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Gene Wolters

Gene Wolters

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Rochester used to have those numbers when they were mentioned initially for making the jump to MLS, right?  Does Rochester still get those numbers?

Rochester:

ahQTw2e.png

Cosmos:

g53TuCz.png

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

5 digit attendance in the middle of northern Central NY state.  I can see why some were clamoring for their inclusion into MLS.  They had their SSS, but it wasn't until 2009 where there was a steep dropoff in attendance.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Come on, the Cosmos for 25 years were nothing more than a file folder and a check attached to a triplicate form sent to the revenue department of the State of New Jersey every so often.

I'll give you that the name and identity wasn't just hijacked by some opportunists -- it was just bought from Pepe for the right price by some opportunists. I'd be a little more convinced if the new Cosmos didn't feel like they were on a foundation of mud. It'll take a few stable years to convince me that they're some stable organization carrying the legacy, but hey, there are a good six or seven thousand people who are fully committed to what's going on, which are pretty solid 2nd 

division numbers, so some folks have bought in.

Convinced of what exactly? You need them to be on the filed for more than one season before accepting the fact they are legally and by all rights the same entity that last played years ago. facts are facts no matter how long they need to play before becoming "legit" in your estimation. People who claim this is not the same organization, that all the past history doesn't belong to them, and that all the owners did was buy a dead name and trademark...are wrong.  I think its because 1) they don't understand the legality; 2) they want to keep the legacy of the Cosmos best years locked away; and/or 3) They just want to hate.

Solid D2 numbers? Shit man, those would have been solid MLS numbers in the early 00's. I recall Giants stadium regularly having 2000 fans in it some games. They are doing very well, with any luck NASL wont collapse and they will get a stadium of their own. 

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

5 digit attendance in the middle of northern Central NY state.  I can see why some were clamoring for their inclusion into MLS.  They had their SSS, but it wasn't until 2009 where there was a steep dropoff in attendance.

Probably has to do with the USL/NASL split. Rhinos used to play all the top teams in that division, but then the exodus to MLS happened, and then they became USL Pro...

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Convinced of what exactly? You need them to be on the filed for more than one season before accepting the fact they are legally and by all rights the same entity that last played years ago. facts are facts no matter how long they need to play before becoming "legit" in your estimation. People who claim this is not the same organization, that all the past history doesn't belong to them, and that all the owners did was buy a dead name and trademark...are wrong.  I think its because 1) they don't understand the legality; 2) they want to keep the legacy of the Cosmos best years locked away; and/or 3) They just want to hate.

Solid D2 numbers? Shit man, those would have been solid MLS numbers in the early 00's. I recall Giants stadium regularly having 2000 fans in it some games. They are doing very well, with any luck NASL wont collapse and they will get a stadium of their own. 

They absolutely would have been MLS numbers a decade or more ago. Keep in mind what a freaking mess we were, so we're not the best example, but the Cosmos 1st season numbers would have been middle of the pack in the early 2000s.

But I have to say that there's a difference between your legalistic argument about the "rights" to the name, and the continuity of a functional, soccer-playing organization. The Sounders, who have been three difference corporate entities, took a break of only 10 years, not 25, and they're stretching plausibility with continuity. I think you want to believe in this, so you're going to insist that there is 100% continuity, which is legally true, but just follow common sense notions of "continuity." With a few years of stability I think the break would seem less jarring.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Probably has to do with the USL/NASL split. Rhinos used to play all the top teams in that division, but then the exodus to MLS happened, and then they became USL Pro...

Rochester is really crapping out economically, too -- Kodak has collapsed, Bausch and Lomb got bought by Canadians and people are being "consolidated" out of jobs, Xerox laid thousands off -- all within the last decade.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Feel free to question the accuracy of the numbers, but the Cosmos average of 6800 (or so) in no way shape or form would have ever been considered solid MLS attendance, not even in the darkest days of the league.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

Keep telling yourself that. NY's most famous soccer team is back, and picked up where they left off. ...............

Oh I thought you were going to say spending the most money on team salary in their league while not playing home games in New York City.

S1ark5

S1ark5

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
The cosmos schelp who keeps posting like he is too smart and too cool to be a redbull fan said it best. "With any luck the nasl wont collapse". Hahhahaha and yet we should be taking this league or team seriously? Gtfo. Homie let me break it down for you. When one of the more popular mls teams in the world, the ny redbulls, struggle big time to get exposure in nyc, what does that say about the nasl or cosmos in the realm of sports fandom? They are totally irrelevant. No one gives a shit and no one will continue to give a shit with the exception of those 6k schleps that are still envisioning pele in their dreams and wanting to swallow his man juice. Cosmos are dead homie, stop living in the past.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

The cosmos schelp who keeps posting like he is too smart and too cool to be a redbull fan said it best. "With any luck the nasl wont collapse". Hahhahaha and yet we should be taking this league or team seriously? Gtfo. Homie let me break it down for you. When one of the more popular mls teams in the world, the ny redbulls, struggle big time to get exposure in nyc, what does that say about the nasl or cosmos in the realm of sports fandom? They are totally irrelevant. No one gives a shit and no one will continue to give a shit with the exception of those 6k schleps that are still envisioning pele in their dreams and wanting to swallow his man juice. Cosmos are dead homie, stop living in the past.

Strange, i don't seem to recall you in the early days of MLS, going to games, in front of horrific crowds on giant NFL stadiums wondering if MLS would fold or not. (it almost did btw).  Thankfully we didn't have a lot of people with your attitude back then....they weren't coming to games...just waiting around until someone told em it was cool enough to follow MLS or until they signed a player he read about once on the internet while stalking his faux EPL side.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i think following a club not branded and named after an energy drink, or a team not using NYC as a farm outlet to Manchester is never a waste of time, especially when the club in question in NY's historic and iconic club.  As for being dead?

Dead teams don't win league championships. 

trophy-ceremony.JPG

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

It was active the entire time

About as "active" as the Minnesota Kicks...which is to say not at all. Your laughable delusions can't alter history.

Red Bull Out

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

Dead teams don't win league championships. 

Though minor league teams win minor league championships, no matter how dead their relevance may be.

Red Bull Out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users