332 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The only downside to loans is that it limits the players you can get.     

how?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The only downside to loans is that it limits the players you can get.     

agree with that.  To me loans without a buy option only work for 1) non-premium positions and 2) young prospects w/o a lot of high level professional experience.  Its hard to get a big recognizable player on loan unless they are out of favor at a big club.  But we dont sign players from those teams

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

how?

no team is simply going to loan out one of their leading players without a buy option, unless they are in a bad financial situation or get relegated.  Similar to why we wouldnt just loan out Long.  For your leading player you need the cash for the replacement once they leave the door.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

how?

Why would you agree to take a player back after 6 months, if you want to sell him?   You only do that if you have no better options, and better players have better options.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In terms of success, I'd like to see a decade of dominance - fighting for supporters shield year after year, forcing opponents to game plan around us, the ability to enact RB's will on an opponent, and throw in a few MLS cups in there. I want the team to be an untiring barbarian horde year after year, always pressing and embarrassing teams. Young players always fighting to make a name in the world of soccer  for themselves. 

I don't necessarily need MLS cup next year - I need MLS cup and supporters shield year after year. I think constructing the team how Thelwell/Struber are is the way to make it happen. Constant competition at every position to see who really wants it. Add in a couple DPs as seasoning and you're off! 

Basically, I'm a Jets fan and I want Metro to be the Pats.

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA

Basically, I'm a Jets fan and I want Metro to be the Pats.

Love everything you're saying, I think the problem is we're still waiting on our Tom Brady.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
So

Parker Out, Reyes In - Negative
Kaku Out - Assuming Clark is promoted to starter - anywhere from Negative (Good Kaku) to a Wash (Distracted/Benched Kaku)
White to bench, Fabio In - Positive

Duncan to bench, Edwards in - On field Slight improvement at best. depth improvement If Egbo replacement
Meara to bench, Coronel In - On field Slight improvement at best. depth improvement if Jensen replacement

Both of the above represent an off-field opportunity cost addressing positions that did not really need addressing at the expense of, say, LB.

Diarra is an international spot on depth midfield and will struggle for fitness - this years Tetteh
Harper should be Royer backup. Which if it is a Barlow replacement, is very positive.

Lewis, Bento, Carmona are all RBNY II Deep depth for now

So out of 8 newcomers (leaving out Lewis), only one seems to be a definite upgrade at a starting spot with potentially two more slight upgrades as a best case scenario with improved depth either way and we lost two of our best three players.

And our most pressing needs were LB an elite attacker and midfield depth. Still looking.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So

Kaku Out - Assuming Clark is promoted to starter - anywhere from Negative (Good Kaku) to a Wash (Distracted/Benched Kaku)

Duncan to bench, Edwards in - On field Slight improvement at best. depth improvement If Egbo replacement
Meara to bench, Coronel In - On field Slight improvement at best. depth improvement if Jensen replacement

Both of the above represent an off-field opportunity cost addressing positions that did not really need addressing at the expense of, say, LB.

Diarra is an international spot on depth midfield and will struggle for fitness - this years Tetteh
Harper should be Royer backup. Which if it is a Barlow replacement, is very positive.

So out of 8 newcomers (leaving out Lewis), only one seems to be a definite upgrade at a starting spot with potentially two more slight upgrades as a best case scenario with improved depth either way and we lost two of our best three players.

And our most pressing needs were LB an elite attacker and midfield depth. Still looking.

Sure, thats a grading method, but I'm not sure its accurate at all - too binary and not based on having seen new players at all. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Why is everyone so sure we'd be getting the Parker of and not 2019?

Clark was already better than a distracted Kaku.  And, IN Struber's system, might be better than a good Kaku.

Struber wants a "modern" keeper that can play more with his feet than Meara.  I'd bet this is an improvement.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I'm of the belief that Edwards is more than slightly better than Duncan. Supposedly crosses better, and since we have a CF with plenty of youtube highlights showing he can get to the end of a cross, I'm more than hopeful. 

I just find it odd that both Thelwell and Struber trust Pendant/Tolkin to hold it down at LB until the July window, I don't think i'm alone in thinking that. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Clark was already better than a distracted Kaku.  And, IN Struber's system, might be better than a good Kaku.

Struber wants a "modern" keeper that can play more with his feet than Meara.  I'd bet this is an improvement.

Parker was better the minute Armas left

I think you underrate Kaku when he was firing on all cylinders. We need that level to compete for Cups. I dont think Clark is consistently there yet. I also dont think Kaku was ever getting back to that level either, so even though I have both, in my head it was far more likely that Kaku was going to be the latter and I probably should have originally noted that . My bad.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

So

You're undervaluing Harper.  The kid was pushing for the first team at Celtic.  He's a clear upgrade over Stroud and/or Mines, or Barlow/White if they choose to go with two strikers.  The more likely scenario is that Royer backs him up, not vice versa.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Because Armas is gone

We haven't seen nearly enough of Clark to say that, especially in a central creative role.   There is no basis for comparison there.

Fine, maybe.   But it is still a low priority position.  Plus, unless you have Neuer, goalies playing with the ball at their feet tend to cause far more problems than they solve (spoke as a current Liverpool fan).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Because Armas is gone

We haven't seen nearly enough of Clark to say that, especially in a central creative role.   There is no basis for comparison there.

Fine, maybe.   But it is still a low priority position.  Plus, unless you have Neuer, goalies playing with the ball at their feet tend to cause far more problems than they solve (spoke as a current Liverpool fan).

Reyes might benefit from a coaching change too.

Between Clark and Kaku, one of them is going to the Bundesliga next year to play a similar system to what Struber will implement here. RBNY isnt just saying Clark is a better fit for the Red Bull system, Leipzig is too.

Alison was the final piece that won Liverpool the UCL & Prem. His problems this year havent been limited to his passing.

That said, I dont think Colonel will play a sweeper keeper like a Nueur, but hes probably going to be a step up in terms of distribution from the back. Just because keeper wasnt the most pressing priority, doesnt mean we shouldnt upgrade.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Parker was better the minute Armas left

I think you underrate Kaku when he was firing on all cylinders. We need that level to compete for Cups. I dont think Clark is consistently there yet. I also dont think Kaku was ever getting back to that level either, so even though I have both, in my head it was far more likely that Kaku was going to be the latter and I probably should have originally noted that . My bad.

I said Clark was better than a distracted Kaku and might be better than any version of Kaku in Strubers system. Thats not a crazy take. Leipzig thinks the same. If they didnt, Kaku would be going there next year and not Clark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users