19 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I for one do not care at all what they pay players above the DP threshold.  Dietrich Mateschitz has $25 billion.  It has no impact on the cap and it is chump change to Red Bull and its ownership.  Further, its not like Red Bull has been close to having a problem fit under the cap for a long time.  In fact, if RBNY ever had a problem with the cap, I would be very happy.  

This sentiment gets parroted constantly on these forums, but it's far removed from reality. There is no giant piggy bank because our owner is a billionaire. None. If anything, the opposite is true - we have a strict (and limited) budget, and are expected to eventually become self sufficient via developing and selling players.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This sentiment gets parroted constantly on these forums, but it's far removed from reality. There is no giant piggy bank because our owner is a billionaire. None. If anything, the opposite is true - we have a strict (and limited) budget, and are expected to eventually become self sufficient via developing and selling players.

That, too, gets parroted constantly on these forums, but it's far removed from reality.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

That, too, gets parroted constantly on these forums, but it's far removed from reality.

Which is closer to reality? The "couple million transfer fee is a rounding error to a billionaire owner" or "the team is expected to become self sufficient/ balance its financials"?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I for one do not care at all what they pay players above the DP threshold.  Dietrich Mateschitz has $25 billion.  It has no impact on the cap and it is chump change to Red Bull and its ownership.  Further, its not like Red Bull has been close to having a problem fit under the cap for a long time.  In fact, if RBNY ever had a problem with the cap, I would be very happy.  

I am more than happy to spend money just spend it well.  Maybe this guy turns into Loderio or Piatti or Obifemi Martins.  Would rather have that closer to that level of talent.  You can get a much better player than this guy for 2.3M/year

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Which is closer to reality? The "couple million transfer fee is a rounding error to a billionaire owner" or "the team is expected to become self sufficient/ balance its financials"?

sometimes the cheapest people are those with the most money

can someone bring us another transfer rumor??????????

Please!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Sure become self sufficient, but in the meantime toil along as an also ran because the requirements to acquire players is so very specific

Want to be cheap? Then fill the roster with free transfers, free agents, and trialists.

Oh wait, those guys also have to be under the age of 26, they have to fit the system, and they have to play for whatever salary we are offering them.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You could make the argument that part of being self sufficient would be an extensive scouting network on our side of the globe that is brining in outstanding talent at a few million and turning that into multiple millions.

And that part of being self sufficient would also be figuring out how to have the stadium full each and every game.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Two straw men, neither of which are the choices.

It is a rounding error to the billionaire owner, but the billionaire owner isn't making the decisions.   Thelwell, like all people in his position, has a budget to manage, and like all budgets, there is a process for requesting an increase.   We have no idea how his budget is determined or how flexible it is.  

You can "balance financials" lots of different ways.  It doesn't have to be a zero sum on xfer fees in and xfer fees out (which we haven't come close to doing, as cheap as we are).   "Self sufficient" can also mean a lot of different things.   Are ticket and merch sales included?  Net value of the club?    We don't know how Thelwell or anyone else is being measured, as much as people like to pretend they do.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You can "balance financials" lots of different ways.  It doesn't have to be a zero sum on xfer fees in and xfer fees out (which we haven't come close to doing, as cheap as we are).   

You wouldn't think it but at least on the transfers we've spent a little more than we've made. Best info I could find (mostly transfermrkt) has us at $18.4M spent and $15.5M made since 2011.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

You wouldn't think it but at least on the transfers we've spent a little more than we've made. Best info I could find (mostly transfermrkt) has us at $18.4M spent and $15.5M made since 2011.

The more relevant number would be in the current era.   Not that we did much in either direction before that.   Who has the list for the past 5 or 6 years?    "Big" numbers spent on Veron, Kaku, Matti Ice, Klimala and ? (I don't count Stuber) 

Big numbers in are Adams, Clark, Taxi (?) Murillo (?) and ?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
I think the model we should be looking at is FC Dallas. They have sold young players on a consistent basis (specially lately with Pepi and Reynolds), have made Ferreira a young DP and will most likely be sold soon, and are pursuing a young Argentinian for some pretty penny. If they only have gotten their coaching situation figured out, they would be head and shoulders over the rest of the other teams.

Thread split in 3, 2, 1

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The more relevant number would be in the current era.   Not that we did much in either direction before that.   Who has the list for the past 5 or 6 years?    "Big" numbers spent on Veron, Kaku, Matti Ice, Klimala and ? (I don't count Stuber) 

We have paid transfer fees for Reyes yearwood and coronel. I think Reyes fee was probably 7 figures but the other two may not have been

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I think the model we should be looking at is FC Dallas. They have sold young players on a consistent basis (specially lately with Pepi and Reynolds), have made Ferreira a young DP and will most likely be sold soon, and are pursuing a young Argentinian for some pretty penny. If they only have gotten their coaching situation figured out, they would be head and shoulders over the rest of the other teams.

Thread split in 3, 2, 1

How many Cups do they have?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Spending hugely outweighs income recently. Probably because they expected to get more than $0 for Kaku.

These are all the notable transfers I saw, I skipped a few of the low six-figure ones. Club never disclosed transfer fees for a few guys. Yearwood is rumored anywhere from $500k-$2M, Reyes I thought was rumored about $1M, no idea whatsoever on Coronel.

thrWE7E.png

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
Don't forget we retained a big sell on percentage on Adams. He's been rumored for a big move this summer so that will add $$ to his inbound fees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users