35 replies to this topic

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I stayed late to watch a bit of the USL match and Robles was still signing autographs and taking pictures 35 minutes after the match. They didn't have players like this before.

When they played at Giants Stadium, I remember Brad Davis signing autographs near the corner flag and security was yelling at him that he had to leave the field. Other than a few players throwing arm bands and an occasional jersey to supporter groups, that's all you saw from previous players. The closeness of the fans to the field obviously plays a large part. 

Meola is a douche who didn't do anything extra without getting paid. He had a chance to give back to the community and did nothing. 

Henry was a good teammate, but the team's been closer since he left.

I don't miss him one bit. 

The look of disdain regarding his teammates lack of ability to provide him with a pinpoint pass? The hands-up "Im not offside" he was good for at least twice a match? The dissapearing acts in the playoffs (a PK encroachment that knocks them out). Pouting on the field for large parts of a match?

The guy was obviously a stud at Arsenal and the National Team and we was good for a killer pass or two a game for the Red Bulls, but his act got tired fast (I know, it's not popular to say that even though it's true).  

Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:France, PSG, Metros

I don't miss him one bit. 

The look of disdain regarding his teammates lack of ability to provide him with a pinpoint pass? The hands-up "Im not offside" he was good for at least twice a match? The dissapearing acts in the playoffs (a PK encroachment that knocks them out). Pouting on the field for large parts of a match?

The guy was obviously a stud at Arsenal and the National Team and we was good for a killer pass or two a game for the Red Bulls, but his act got tired fast (I know, it's not popular to say that even though it's true).  

I have no idea what matches you were watching. A killer pass or two a game? Really? That's it? 

#RedBullOUT

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Anyone who can disparage Henry (who is only the greatest player in the history of the league and it's not even close) must've inherited Rob Ford's crack stash. I remember his last year where it was literally comedy to see how many golden chances he would create out of nothing every game. We were privileged to have had the chance to see him play for our club.

I'd be curious to see what his teammates thought.  From the outside looking in, he seems like a player who not only has great talent, but who also works very hard and wants everyone else to live up to his high standards.  I could see that rubbing some the wrong way, but I would think most of them got that he was the man for a reason.

plus the whole Metro armband thing

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'd be curious to see what his teammates thought.  From the outside looking in, he seems like a player who not only has great talent, but who also works very hard and wants everyone else to live up to his high standards.  I could see that rubbing some the wrong way, but I would think most of them got that he was the man for a reason.

Lade always talks how Henry's encouragement helped him. There are other examples. He also helped install a winning mentality. There are many quotes through the years about that.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I have no idea what matches you were watching. A killer pass or two a game? Really? That's it? 

Seriously. Absolutely delusional to say Henry only did 1 or 2 good things a game and couldn't be further from the truth.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Lade always talks how Henry's encouragement helped him. There are other examples. He also helped install a winning mentality. There are many quotes through the years about that.

I would guess Lade the only player that worked harder than Henry.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Lade I knew about.  If I was in his situation there would a framed notarized copy of what Henry said in every room of my house. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

It was a bit mixed based on several conversations with players I spoke to. Without mentioning names, some players loved his intensity and perfectionist mentality. Others didn't like it as much. One player I talked to said that it was "impossible to have fun" with Henry because he was "hypercompetitive". He also praised him endlessly for how great a player he was.
Another player stated that he helped in practice all the time but didn't understand that not every player had the same understanding of the game that he did. He was the first player to practice and last to leave most times.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Wasn't he also giving Matt help after practice aswell?

Shoot the Bull

Shoot the Bull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:RBNY
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal
Henry, warts and all, was amazing for this club and established the course that the players/front office/supporters are taking today. He was amazing for this team and this league. For anyone to disparage his contributions is truly delusional. I am honored to have seen this man play for my team and do the amazing things he did.
Proud supporter and STH of RBNY - In it through thick and thin.

Forza Metro! We love ya. Oh, and Fuck DC scum.

twitter: @mromilio

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
The blessing of Saint Thierry broke the curse of carricola.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

(I know, it's not popular to say that even though it's true).  

No, I feel the same way. Look the guy's talents were undeniable, but I never warmed to him. I still can't get past his refusal to play on turf, even in important games. I also remember hearing (though I could be wrong) that he got special treatment on the road (either flew 1st class or got his own hotel rooms). I think there was a reason the team went on the 2013 Shield run after Petke put Henry in his place.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I still can't get past his refusal to play on turf, even in important games.

He played on turf in the most important game of them all, the 2014 semifinal @ NE.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

haha, just got caught in the thread split, very weird. 

It was a bit mixed based on several conversations with players I spoke to. Without mentioning names, some players loved his intensity and perfectionist mentality. Others didn't like it as much. One player I talked to said that it was "impossible to have fun" with Henry because he was "hypercompetitive". He also praised him endlessly for how great a player he was.
Another player stated that he helped in practice all the time but didn't understand that not every player had the same understanding of the game that he did. He was the first player to practice and last to leave most times.

This is not at all surprising.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

No, I feel the same way. Look the guy's talents were undeniable, but I never warmed to him. I still can't get past his refusal to play on turf, even in important games. I also remember hearing (though I could be wrong) that he got special treatment on the road (either flew 1st class or got his own hotel rooms). I think there was a reason the team went on the 2013 Shield run after Petke put Henry in his place.

If by skipping games on turf he avoided injuries that would have sidelined him more a greater number of games than those played on turf, is it not the correct decision?  Wouldn't a world class professional athlete have a greater appreciation for the tolerances of his body than a fan in the stands drinking beer?

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users